Who Wrote "The Theme"?

medjuck

When I was first listening to jazz in the early 60's many groups (local and visiting) ended their set by playing "The Theme" as recorded by Miles Davis in 1955. I'm pretty sure that on the Prestige releases he's credited as composer but on The Jazz Messengers Live in 1958 they end with it and Michael Cuscuna's notes refer to it as "Kenny Dorham's 'New York Theme' ".

Edited by medjuck

When I was first listening to jazz in the early 60's many groups (local and visiting) ended their set by playing "The Theme" as recorded by Miles Davis in 1955. I'm pretty sure that on the Prestige releases he's credited as composer but on The Jazz Messengers Live in 1958 they end with it and Michael Cuscuna's notes refer to it as "Kenny Dorham's 'New York Theme' ".

Really?

Wasn't Boplicity credited to Miles mother for some legal reasons? I don't know if I'm remembering this correctly, I'm sure someone else can confirm or debunk.

But maybe KD wrote it but it was credited to Miles due to the strict contractual restrictions (i.e. players weren't in the credits, or were listed under another name, for certain albums because of their contract with another company)?

Dunno. I'm blue skying here. But it's an incredibly interesting question.

Edited by Scott Dolan

Wasn't Boplicity credited to Miles mother for some legal reasons?

Don't know the reason, but IIRC, Boplicity is credited to Miles' mother (her maiden name too). Cleo Henry, as I recall (too lazy to get up and look, but I think that's right).

Didn't I just say that? :wacko:

I just was answering your question. :crazy:

The answer to the original question is Richard Carpenter, of course. :cool:

who actually wrote "Walkin"

That was Gene Ammons.

:)

at aaj iirc they have a thread where it says that you are not supposed to discuss this question there anymore (Jimmy Mundy wrote Walkin)

still wondering who wrote all those Carpenter/Bruce compositions on the Chet Baker / George Coleman / Richard Carpenter sessions...

Of course, we may be making a mistake by assuming that anyone 'wrote' 'The Theme'. We are, after all, talking about a riff tune based on the 'I Got Rhythm' changes. Sometimes these things just evolve on the bandstand, passed fom one player to the next. By default, whoever records it first gets the composer credit. Did Bird really 'write' 'Now's The Time'? Probably not.

The answer to the original question is Richard Carpenter, of course. :cool:

Nah, it's Eddie Vinson.

Vinson wrote Four and another Miles staple... but I read somewhere that he officially let Miles have them since he was out of recording at that time, or something...

But I think it was Ozzie Cadena, and Carpenter ripped him off! :P

Did Bird really 'write' 'Now's The Time'? Probably not.

The Now's The Time/Hucklebuck riff had certainly been around a long time. It turns up on altoist Charles Pierce's recording of Bull Frog Blues from 1928. Pierce himself is credited as composer. Muggsy Spanier and Frank Teschemacher were the most prominent participants on that session, and they both solo.

at aaj iirc they have a thread where it says that you are not supposed to discuss this question there anymore (Jimmy Mundy wrote Walkin)

still wondering who wrote all those Carpenter/Bruce compositions on the Chet Baker / George Coleman / Richard Carpenter sessions...

Yes, I've seen Walkin' (or 'Gravy') attributed to both.

Seems Carpenter's theft of Mundy's compositions isn't limited to 'Walkin''. This is from James Gavin's biography of Chet Baker, Deep In a Dream:

In the manner of the quickie bop-record dates of the fifties, when albums were done in a day with hardly any rehearsal. Baker and his group showed up at each session and basically winged it. Jimmy Mundy sat in the control room, anonymously churning out songs for which Carpenter took credit. "He was writing the next tune while we were recording the tune before," said [Kirk] Lightsey. Carpenter had brought along a bundle of Tadd Dameron's music, plus a few Sonny Stitt pieces on which he claimed coauthorship.

Seems like Carpenter ripped off everyone who came in contact with him.

Edited by Rosco