status of: bobbi humphrey- FLUTE IN

Billy Harper's on it too, as are Idris Muhammad, George Duvivier, and Hank Jones. Only on selected cuts, though.

BobbiHumphrey-FliuteIn.jpg

Apparently there was an Applause reissue:

462.jpg

I found it used a few years ago & have kept it for Lee & Billy, who are only on one or two cuts, IIRC. It seems to show up used less often than her later albums, so if you see it and you want it, carpe diem.

Those later albums of hers are much more conceptually produced, and better for it I think, since Humphrey is not a particularly strong improvisor and was better served by being presented in a different context. Her talents and those of Lee & Billy were different, and this album speaks to that.

I'm normally a HUGE fan of Harper, and Lee (especially in the late 60's, and what little there is of him in the 70's) -- and I'm a big fan of quite a bit of 70's jazz in general...

...but I have to say that the one time I heard this date, I was pretty nonplussed. -_-

Maybe worth $4 or $5, as an impulse buy -- but otherwise, it ain't quite what it looks like on paper.

I have read that Humphrey literally could not improvise. She would write out her solos in advance and memorize them. When asked by a record producer to take an additional chorus on a solo, she could not do it, and then confessed.

I saw her live last year, and her flute playing was embarassing. My daughter's elementary school band flute players all play more in tune and with better intonation. I have heard some bad flute playing by the beginners at the elementary school but by the end of their first year of playing, they were all much better than Humphrey today.

Instead of playing much flute, Humphrey smiled a lot onstage, danced around, often shouted at the crowd to party, and repeated a cute way of saying "hello" countless times.

what gets me is blue note can release, blacks & blues,and satin doll, and applause can release flute in,on cd. well how about some far superior albums(imo) by jeremy steig,legwork,this is jeremy steig,and wayfaring stranger?i have e-mailed mosaic about a steig mosaic select or a blue note doubletime release,the response, we may do a jeremy steig best of release on blue note.well blue note,first you release the humphrey albums as single cd's,and then we may do a best of for jeremy steig??? this is a bunch of bs imo!

what gets me is blue note can release, blacks & blues,and satin doll, and applause can release flute in,on cd. well how about some far superior albums(imo) by jeremy steig,legwork,this is jeremy steig,and wayfaring stranger?i have e-mailed mosaic about a steig mosaic select or a blue note doubletime release,the response, we may do a jeremy steig best of release on blue note.well blue note,first you release the humphrey albums as single cd's,and then we may do a best of for jeremy steig??? this is a bunch of bs imo!

Yeah, but chicks on the cover sell... just ask Diana Krall. :lol:

Dude, she worked in the context of those Mizell productions precisely because of those Mizell productions. Left to her own devices, it's pretty slim pickings...

Still, if you see a copy of Flute In for a reasonable price, pick it up, just because. No Lee Morgan (or Billy Harper) collection is truly complete without it.

• 3 months later...

I can vouch for the fact that Humphrey cannot improvise. When I did my "Jazz Set" TV series, I was bamboozled into devoting one show to her--what a terrible waste that was! The only saving grace was that she had a good band that included Harold Mabern. She, herself, was mediocre and unable to add an extra chorus when I needed her to do that.

what other people were on your show Jazz-set? ever going to do dvds of it?

No DVDs as yet, but the Mingus documentary, "Triumph of the Underdog" includes part of one selection and my interview with Mingus. I believe all the Bill Evans performances have made their way to YouTube. Here is a partial list of shows to which we can add a forgettable one featuring Barry Miles (agreed to under political pressure) and a memorable one with Randy Weston for which Dan Morgenstern kindly subbed for me (I was ill). As you will see, I don't have complete personnel for all the shows, but I'm slowly digging up that information. Wish I could dig up the tapes, as well.

Roy Haynes Hip Ensemble
2/7/72

Roy Haynes
(dms); and others.

Larry Johnson
2/15/72 (Air: 7/27/72)

Larry Johnson
(vcls and gtr).

Clifford Jordan
2/22/72

Clifford Jordan
(ts);