What's your "Claim to fame"

Seeing Andy's response to the Bobby "Boris" Pickett RIP thread reminded me of this.

In the 1980s, a British radio DJ had a little segment of his programme, which was on at lunchtime, in which he'd get people to phone in and tell him about their "Claim to fame". These were meant to be humorous or tenuous - NOT REAL fame, as several people here can claim. Here are two from me, to get you started:

In 1964, I bought Anne Nightingale's old Dansette record player. (For the non-British, Anne Nightingale was (maybe still is) a major league radio DJ over here. A Dansette was a cheap and nasty record player of the time.) I was unemployed when my previous record player broke down irretreivably, and had to get something second hand. My mother worked in a bar and put out the word. Anne Nightingale's brother was one of her customers and he sold me the Dansette, together with a heap of DJ sample 45s - all of which were utter shit!

In 1997, I stayed in the same hotel (at the same time) as Alpha Blondy, the Reggae singer from Cote D'Ivoire. This was in Senegal.

OK - get the idea?

GO!

MG

PS - they DO have to be true, not fiction.

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best thing i remember for the moment, in 2000 i did an internship at the german academy of arts and once delivered an urgent (well only a two-line invitation) letter from writer Gyorgy Konrad, then the president of the academy, to Gorbarchev who was staying at the Hotel Adlon then (or rather, he wasn't anymore but it was my turn to find out)

I was a customer service representative for a large bank when one night I received a call from M.C. Hammer about his account. The name listed on his account was actually M.C. Hammer and not his birth name so I was referring to him as "Mr. Hammer" throughout the call. :D

I also once assisted American figure skater Jill Trenary as she was checking up on things before leaving for some skating competition in Europe.

By association-my wife worked for a company that promoted and sold CDs and DVDs. Celebrities would sometimes come in for meet and greets and my wife would help coordinate them. She dealt with Cyndi Lauper, Pat Benetar, Vince Gill, Johnny Mathis, and even Kenny G! She once very much enjoyed having a lunch sitting next to Rita Moreno. She also got to meet Milli Vanilli.

Edited by mikelz777

I ran into Gregg Allman in a hotel elevator in Springfield, Virginia once.

Flew on a plane from Montego Bay to Miami with Russell Maryland, the #1 overall NFL draft pick in 1991. He rode coach, and gave me his autograph on the back of a Sandals brochure.

Also, I once drove classical guitarist Christopher Parkening (and his guitar) from the airport to his hotel, in a red Trans Am. Then gave him a brief tour of scenic College Station, Texas. He didn't seem overly impressed.

Edited by Aggie87

I drove 5 time Olympic gold medal speed skater Bonnie Blair from Cog Hill Country Club to a banquet hall about 20 miles away.

I once was Carlton Fisk's spot while he was doing a bench press.

And while I was urinating in a public restroom, Roger Ebert came to the urinal next to mine and began to urinate.

J.G Ballard's best mate called the centre I was working at once to find out why he couldn't get in touch with him. I was reading Crash at the time (post-Diana and all that...) so we chatted for a while about the book. He said give him a ring, he's a nice bloke to talk to.

I met Jesse Jackson in the lobby of a Chicago office building. He is tall.

Walking along 57th street with my Father, Robin Williams bounded out of a building in front of us, gave us a sort of "yeah, its me" nod/smile and jumped into a cab. He is tiny.

During each of his son's senior years, Dad brought us to a television syndicators convention that took place in Vegas. My turn, Mel Allen was in the "This Week in Baseball" booth and I got to shake his hand. He was gigantic.

How 'bout that?

:g

Edited by Dan Gould