BFT 47 discussion

couw

with MGb MIA and with some of the upcoming BFTs suffering under the tight time schedules of their distibutors, I'd say we get this one going while the month of May lasts. Here it is then, BFT 47 in all its splendor. Should you still require the music, send me a PM and I will take care of it.

Yes, there is a theme here (which many will have guessed already before signing up).

Now I'll lean back and have a beer. The floor is yours.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised you don't recognise anybody, this is all pretty obscure stuff, by pretty obscure musicians. My idea was to get some comments on the music, not on the people performing it. It would be cool if you'd chime in!

I'm not surprised you don't recognise anybody, this is all pretty obscure stuff, by pretty obscure musicians.

That's a big relief. I was starting to think that I was a total jazz thicko after first listen to the BFT disk. :D

too much absorbed in the local Betelgeuse scene, eh? ;)

I knew the first tune straight away - "Nana Imboro" by the Jan "Ptaszyn" Wroblewski Quintet. Leader on tenor, J Milian on vibes W Lechowski guitar , S Zwierchowski bass and J Grossman drums. I can't say anything about issues though. It's nice - assertive, raucous but varied tenor offset by restrained vibes, good rhythmic propulsion and an attractive, hypnotic repetition of the theme.

So that was easy. I'll get back to you later with the rest of the answers. ;)

re: #1 Spot on there ... this new re-issue of the lead in from the new RVC series sounds fabulous.

So structurally - and I would never ask as I know nuthin about all that, but - this is primarily a waltz? That opening vibe theme that then flows underneath it all and resurfaces as a solo ground that at first layman's listen a ways back reminded me so much of Jorge Ben's "Mas Que Nada" - basically a Portugeuse folk tune until '66 got hold of it and made it the in-bossa of the sixties. Maybe a musically tuned ear can tell me just what is going on inside this perect bit of three minutes.

Great opener! Time to feed on the rest.

As for the theme herein I'll take a stab: as Bruce Dickinsen would say - "I got a fever ... and the only perscription is more consonants".

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Polish Take Five? The trumpet reminded me of Tiger Okoshi but that seems unlikely. Pity they didn't get in before Brubeck and Desmond - might have made a lot of money. Just as catchy. I wonder if I'll ever hear it on the underground. Bass clarinet in there too - I like that sound.

Enough for today. I will return. :cool:

I knew the first tune straight away - "Nana Imboro" by the Jan "Ptaszyn" Wroblewski Quintet. Leader on tenor, J Milian on vibes W Lechowski guitar , S Zwierchowski bass and J Grossman drums. I can't say anything about issues though. It's nice - assertive, raucous but varied tenor offset by restrained vibes, good rhythmic propulsion and an attractive, hypnotic repetition of the theme.

So that was easy. I'll get back to you later with the rest of the answers. ;)

you forgot to mention that it has the best vibes solo ever :excited:

on to 6. Start sounds a bit like a marimba but then clearly vibes later. 5/4? I think so. Modal sort of thing. What's this? Violin? Musical saw? Some obscure stringed instrument from the hinterland? Building up to a climax for the end. Grows on one. Later...

Fade at the end - have we only got part?

This one originally has a v-e-r-y l-o-n-g fade; to make this one flow together better with the next track, I pumped up the volume a bit. The bitter end still fades and sound a bit muffled, but I still like it better than it was with the f-a-d-e.

So structurally - and I would never ask as I know nuthin about all that, but - this is primarily a waltz?

I'd say yes. Boom-tak-tak, boom-tak-tak, ...

As for the theme herein I'll take a stab: as Bruce Dickinsen would say - "I got a fever ... and the only perscription is more consonants".

no cigar for Bint.

Straight on to 9 - very jaunty piano. I've been listening to some Herbie Nichols lately and this sounds a bit like him but sure it's not. Could easily be an Nichols tune I should think. Propulsive performance, enjoyable. Could it be Ianscy Korossy?

Bright and early - listening to 7. Straight-ahead, a blues, in common time. Don't recognize anyone. Solos all round - good. Tuneful. I like the guitar sound.

this tune has really grown on me, I know it by heart now. The trumpet solo is fantastic.

So here's my comments on couw's mostly LP-compiled (so I suppose) blindfold test - the usual disclaimers apply.

1. Recognized this instantly - couw knows why. My lips are sealed.

2. The flutist is nice, but I can't name him, sounds kind of European to me. That electric bassist rushes the time a little too much for my taste and relies too much on stock phrases - that 2 over the three beats of this jazz waltzy rhythm isn't his forte. Would have liked to hear more from the drummer - why did he hold back so much?

3. Crazy and wild. Jiri Stivin? Some loose tuned African drums played with sticks, and some authentic double flute. Now that singalong trombonist throws me off - not Albert, for sure. I like it very much that they don't take themselves too seriously. Very nice!

4. The standard "Take Five" rhythm pattern. Alto and baritone and trumpet - nice arrangement, and good soloists, although the trumpeter sounds a bit shaky. But that alto is very nice. Good drummer! Polish guys?

5. That almost sounds like one of those waltzes off a Max Roach record - great! My favourite so far. Excellent hard bop phrasing, with very nice off-center rhythmic ideas. Me want this! Trumpeter knows how to pace himself. A 1960's recording, I'd say. I should know that flutist .... they all take their time, that's what I miss with most guys that are running stock phrases all over - five stars for this! Hmmm - the ending sounds like this were an outtake?

6. Nice 10/8 rhythm with marimba. On vibes he loves Bobby Hutcherson. Too bad they didn't know how to treat that rhythm more freely without losing the groove. Now what has that second fiddled part to do with it? This doesn't fulfill it's promise and remains some kind of exotic collage. What a pity.

7. Tenor plays a little flat, but has a very nice groove and rhythmic bite. He's more of an individual than the trumpeter. Guitarist is nice again. Bassist is kind of undefined, rhythmically. This is a band of mixed level of advancement .....

8. This is concise and delivers a message - not a top notch performance, but they all get it done. Good!

9. A little hectic, but otherwise very good. More a showpiece for the pianist - I don't quite get what he wants to say.

10. Nice lazy phrasing of the altoist - he sounds like he does that very consciously. He obviously likes his Desmond, but doesn't simply imitate. Who is this? Good bassist and drummer, too - this is high on the favourite list.

11. Hah! Baritone and all kinds of low brass - they could a little more on point rhythmically but they got the feeling and the arrangement is very nice! More please! Yeah - I like this.

12. The second wildest track so far - nice engaging baritone with semi big band. This definitely is from the times when Yurpeeans didn't yet know proper bongo technique, but they all hit the groove nicely. Excellent arrangement. Who is this?

13. Nice horns, although a bit sleepy, electric bass is out of place here! The buesy phrases he plays to close the piece simply don't sound bluesy on electric!

14. couw likes his piano trios jumpy? This is more consistent than # 9. Three stars.

15. Another very interesting big band track. Excellent low brass players. Wild! Yeah! Now this is the wildest - makes # 3 sound like child's play. Six stars!

16. Very nice track full of good ideas - that guitar used as a noisy percussion is a welcome relief from the instrument's standard role. Saxists are nice. Would have liked to hear a Fender Rhodes solo (that player has agood groove!) than one of the conga player - he relies on patters too much, doesn't know how to play variantions of his bassic pattern, and his solo phrases are all in 4/4 rather than the 7/4 rhythm of the piece and do not fit. Oh well ....

17. Very good clarinettist - Theo Hörgensmann? Anyway, an excellent player. Can't recall Jörgensmann played with such a post-Tyneresque pianist ...

18. Tenor & Trombone - I'm again and again surprised how much music there is that I've never heard of .... nice energetic but still relaxed groove, nice arrangement. Lots of different grooves - they know what they're doing. No idea again who they are. I'm not good at dropping names this time.

19. Another piano trio for closers - a mixture of Ray Bryant and a classicist attitude. I would like to hear more of this pianist at medium tempos to find out what he really can do ....

Very nice choices all the way through - thanks a lot for the trip and your effort in the midst of plenty non-musical activities!