Dick Morrissey

Late

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent player formerly very active on the UK scene, who sadly passed away from the big C about 3 years ago. He's best known for his work with the very classy jazz-funk unit Morrissey/Mullen (co-unit with Scots guitarist Jim Mullen) and this unit was particularly popular in the late 70s/early 80s. As for 'Storm Warning', I've only heard one track from it off the radio many years ago but what I heard was very tasty indeed, in a very funky groove. Nice lineup with (I hope my memory is right on this) Harry South on piano and Phil Seaman on drums. Check out the AAJ site - I've seen some discussion of Dick Morrisey's recordings over there not too long ago.

If anyone sees a good Fontana LP copy of this, let me know as I'm looking for one!

:rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

He's best known for his work with the very classy jazz-funk unit Morrissey/Mullen (co-unit with Scots guitarist Jim Mullen) and this unit was particularly popular in the late 70s/early 80s.

Here in the US, Morrisey was best known as the leader of If, which many felt was the best jazz-rock band of the late 60s-early 70s.

I had the pleasure of meeting him twice. Very nice guy.

He's best known for his work with the very classy jazz-funk unit Morrissey/Mullen (co-unit with Scots guitarist Jim Mullen) and this unit was particularly popular in the late 70s/early 80s.

Here in the US, Morrisey was best known as the leader of If, which many felt was the best jazz-rock band of the late 60s-early 70s.

I had the pleasure of meeting him twice. Very nice guy.

Yes, I've heard from people who knew him that he was a very nice guy.

The nearest I got was circa 1980 when working over a college vacation at research centre in a small coastal resort town. Morrissey/Mullen were playing a gig at the local dance hall and somehow I damn well missed it. :( At the time their soul/R&B releases got quite a popular following.

Edited by sidewinder

I can't find a copy of Storm Warning these days, but was thinking of purchasing Here And Now And Sounding Good, but would like to at least hear a few sound samples first. Anyone here have the latter album?

I've heard There And Back, and it fairly smokes. I need to listen to It's Morrissey, Man! more. It hasn't grabbed me yet.

This morning I located this in a box in the basement with a bunch of other stuff that I have yet to listen to. I started listening to it in the car on my way to make the various children drop offs and to work. Very solid straight-ahead playing. Positive first impression.

Their albums were pretty spectacular, well worth the import prices you'll pay for them in the USA. Would have loved to see them live.

Their albums were pretty spectacular, well worth the import prices you'll pay for them in the USA. Would have loved to see them live.

felser, I saw them live on consecutive nights in the fall of '70 - the first night in a small club, and the second night at the Univ. of Maryland (I think in their gym). The first night they let me tape their show. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that tape in decades. Great shows!

Didn't the lineup for 'If' include that excellent and under-rated guitarist Terry Smith?

Yes indeed! I didn't know that he was under-rated in Britain. In the US, his name is unknown.

Very much so ! He does the occasional gig but rarely features here in the jazz press, unfortunately. That particular Philips LP is a classic though and remains something of a 'cult item'. Very much a straight-ahead session but tastefully done, with a mixture of small group tracks (in a Kenny Burrell vein) and Harry South arranged big-band charts. The influence of Scott Walker is quite prominent throughout too, in the general 'vibe'.

• 12 years later...
  • 1 year later...

On 8/13/2008 at 9:26 PM, GA Russell said:

felser, I saw them live on consecutive nights in the fall of '70 - the first night in a small club, and the second night at the Univ. of Maryland (I think in their gym). The first night they let me tape their show. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that tape in decades. Great shows!

I just met his son online, and he turned me on to this:

Great find - never been a fan of ‘If’, nor of Colosseum for that matter, very much of its time but it is great that this film exists. I guess you had to be there.

As mentioned, the audience shots are priceless and almost out of central casting and stage set decor with obligatory use of brown and orange.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Great find - never been a fan of ‘If’, nor of Colosseum for that matter, very much of its time but it is great that this film exists. I guess you had to be there.

As mentioned, the audience shots are priceless and almost out of central casting and stage set decor with obligatory use of brown and orange.

Inititally I wasn't an If fan and saw them as BS&T copyists but later warmed to them as their sound had a distinct edge and the songs were well-written and often very engaging and memorable. Terry Smith was a hugely underrated guitarist. I have all the If CD reissues (I think). Morrisey Mullen didn't do much for me but having seen Jim Mullen post-MM play live he is a phenomenal guitarist, his comping, using his thumb, not a plectrum, is faster than most guitarist can play single notes.  Storm Warning is alway a disappointment for me, not for the music which is obviously great, but for the lack of stereo. Surely Mercury must have recorded it with two mics but then only released a mono album? If so it's overdue a proper stereo release as happened with the RCQ's Dusk Fire.  Both the Morrissey and RCQ dated from 1966.

Edited by RogerF