Your best sounding jazz recording.

jazz1

Hi,

The CD of Mancini's Combo also sounds great. Must be thanks to a good recording.

The Pink Panther re-issue on Buddha (CD) also sound spectacular. Big big sound....

My favourite CD Mancini is however the Film Music from Breakfast at Tiffany's on XRCD (Japan CD).

Buy with confidence!

/Shaft

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Contemporary Shelly Manne Blackhawk and Manne-Hole LPs are hard to beat.

As is the Contemporary Lasha/Simmons 'Firebirds'.

I have to agree with this. I do not own a massive LP collection (yet! :) ) but these four records are in a different league. Don Cherry and Thad Jones/Mel Lewis sets Mosaic are also contenders.

Edited by ASNL77

Roy DuNann was the man who engineered the most natural sounding albums. He remains unequalled.

When you listen to any of his Contemporary dates, you have that unique feeling of being right there with the musicians when they were recording.

Some favorites (in addition to the Art Pepper, Rollins and others already mentioned):

The Poll Winners

Curtis Counce 'You Get More Bounce'

Teddy Edwards 'Teddy's Ready'

Teddy Edwards and Howard McGhee 'Together Again'

Roy DuNann was the man who engineered the most natural sounding albums.

I think you're right. They're so natural sounding that you don't think about what they sound like (well, I don't).

But thinking about it now, my favourite, from a warm, live, sound point of view, is Teddy Edwards' "Heart and soul"; I think the only time Contemporary put out an organ album.

MG

Hi,

The CD of Mancini's Combo also sounds great. Must be thanks to a good recording.

The Pink Panther re-issue on Buddha (CD) also sound spectacular. Big big sound....

My favourite CD Mancini is however the Film Music from Breakfast at Tiffany's on XRCD (Japan CD).

Buy with confidence!

/Shaft

I use to have a lp (direct cut) issued by RealTime of Spanish Flamenco music,

it was stunning, one of the most realistic recording I ever heard.

Is Real Time out of business??

Add me to the Roy DuNann fan club. For me those Contemporarys represent the best group of work from one engineer I can think of. RVG did some nice stuff, but not at the same level as DuNann and not NEARLY as consistantly. ALL of the DuNann recordings for Contemporary sound fantastic and he understood Stereo long before most jazz engineers-apart from some of the really early efforts, DuNann's stereo mixes are excellent.

I too would go with the original Poll Winners LP on Stereo--or maybe Leroy Walks! or perhaps Way Out West, or maybe Teddy's Ready!--see what I mean!! Hard to pick one "best" from Roy DuNann!

Any one remember the track called "Teo" of MD's Someday My Prince will come? The sounds seems better than the rest of the LP, , epsecially on the drums. I often wondered if this was because it was a hommage to the producer Teo Macero?

Edited by K1969

Actually, I was just listening to "Guitar seche" by Djessou Mory Kante (Popular African Music AG701) and it occurred to me that this is very fine, too. It's an album of accoustic guitar quartets (one trio), with each player placed so neatly in the mix that you can pick out each one's contribution. It was recorded by Gunther Gretz in the Club Gbassikolo of l'Hotel de l'Unite in Conakry in 1998 (not a live performance, though). Gretz is an excellent guy for making good recordings under the MUCH less than perfect circumstances that you get in Africa.

MG

Just bought the latest Carol Sloane "Dearest Duke" cd, not only it is great musically

but the recording is astounding, this is real demo quality stuff.

Boston based Peter Kontrimas is the recording engineer. I always admired his work but on this one he excelled himself.

Coming back to the music which is mostly ballads written by Ellington,

the instrumentation is lovely, just voice, piano, and sax or cl.

Carol Sloane is one of the few true great jazz singer around these day.

It is on Arbor records.

Really worth seeking.

Attached here is cover of my favourite one: recordings from 1950-53. made for Decca, reissued on "Tommy Dorsey & Artie Shaw", Swingsation, 059 953-2 GRD-9953, 1999. GRP Records.

After the first initial listening I was, to put it short, scared to death.

Now, that's the way big band should sound!!!

Edited by mmilovan

Just bought the latest Carol Sloane "Dearest Duke" cd, not only it is great musically

but the recording is astounding, this is real demo quality stuff.

Boston based Peter Kontrimas is the recording engineer. I always admired his work but on this one he excelled himself.

Coming back to the music which is mostly ballads written by Ellington,

the instrumentation is lovely, just voice, piano, and sax or cl.

Carol Sloane is one of the few true great jazz singer around these day.

It is on Arbor records.

Really worth seeking.

You're quite right. Beautiful recording, beautiful music.

Is Real Time out of business??

That's what I would like to know, too - one of the best sounding CDs I have is a Jack Sheldon on RealTime.

I'm a comitted member of the Roy DuNann fan club, of course - he was the most consistent.

Of the more recent, I would mention Capri - I have Jimmy Rowles and Kenny Barron Trio CDs of that label that sound excellent.

What about the 45 RPM vinyls from Acoustic Sounds? Are they worth the higher price for the sound quality?

http://store.acousticsounds.com/category.c...vinyl&id=21

I've heard a few of them and they sound fabulous (I was even in the room when Hoffman and Kevin Grey cut one of them!). But they're too expensive for my taste. Still, I've been meaning to pick up a few of the more "offbeat" titles (like the ones that aren't rereleased every other month).

As a single example, I've always liked the Vic Dickenson Septet on Vanguard (December 29, 1953).

Two 10" LPs became a 12" LP, became a CD and has always sounded wonderful. Monaural, with three horns and four rhythm balancing themselves around a single microphone.

The Contemporary catalogue shows many examples of how jazz is supposed to sound.