Your best sounding jazz recording.

jazz1

Which of you lps or cds have an exceptional audio quality.

This should preferably be an exceptional performance as well.

I can name a few,

1) Position Alpha "The great sound of sound"

2) Patricia Barber "Verses"

3) Frank Kimbrough "Play"

4) Dinah Shore "Sings with Andre Previn" (Remastered)

5) The intimate June Christy

6) Arne Domnerus "Antiphone blues"

IMHO all of these are of demo quality soundwise and the music is pretty good.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... After recently picking up the Analogue Productions 45RPM version of Sonny Rollins' 'Way Out West', I can say that that record, without a doubt, is one of the most amazing recordings I have in my collection. The drums on that record have an "in the room" presence like nothing I've ever heard. Unreal...

I passed on these 45RPMs for a long time, refusing to pay their hefty price. After picking up a couple recently, however, I regret missing some of the earlier ones that are now OOP (and fetching crazy prices on EBay, as to be expected) and am now trying to figure out how I can get as many as possible. Don't wait on these... They're phenomenal.

Well... After recently picking up the Analogue Productions 45RPM version of Sonny Rollins' 'Way Out West', I can say that that record, without a doubt, is one of the most amazing recordings I have in my collection. The drums on that record have an "in the room" presence like nothing I've ever heard. Unreal...

I passed on these 45RPMs for a long time, refusing to pay their hefty price. After picking up a couple recently, however, I regret missing some of the earlier ones that are now OOP (and fetching crazy prices on EBay, as to be expected) and am now trying to figure out how I can get as many as possible. Don't wait on these... They're phenomenal.

I bought some years ago a new (still sealed :excited:) original first mono pressing of Way Out West. And it sounds gorgeous. No A/B comparison with the Analogue 45RPM, maybe I should buy it just to try.

About the 45RPM series, I was tempted from the starting of it, but for some odd reason, maybe TOO AUDIOPHILE for my taste, I bought only Davis' Relaxin and I sold it when I got the original. Never seriously compared them, though I owned both for a while.

BTW the Analogue Production 33RPM reissues sound usually good, better then Classic, and no problems of the quality control of the lattest. Actually I think I've done with Classic reissues, one third of them has pops and thicks, and they are brand new. :angry:

edit: About Way Out West, just noted thata reissue is stereo, so I'll stick with my mono original.

Edited by porcy62

Some of the newer High Note recordings sound exceptional. Buster Williams (Griot Liberte, recorded by RVG), and Fathead Newman (Davey Blue) are two that come to mind. Vic Dickenson (Mainstream) is another good one, reissued by Koch with the HDCD technology (whatever that means). The new Prestige RVG of the Lockjaw Davis Vol. 1 Cookbook is mighty nice too.

terry_argo620.jpg

This one sounds extra oirdinair. :D

There has been no effort to limit or compress the dynamic range of this recording as is often done on popular records. ;)

Contemporary (Checkmate!!!), Capitol and my mono Savoy`s are definitly favorites.

Considering only CD, and taking them randomly, the following sound amazing (for CDs):

PAUL BLEY: HOMMAGE TO CARLA (OWL/ EMARCY)

FRANÇOIS CORNELOUP: JARDINS OUVRIERS (EVIDENCE/ FRANCE)

MARCO ENEIDI/ WILLIAM PARKER/ DONALD ROBINSON: CHERRY BOX (EREMITE)

DANIEL HUMAIR: BABY BOOM (SKETCH)

ANDRE JAUME/ CHARLIE HADEN/ OLIVIER CLERC: PEACE/ PACE/ PAIX (CELP)

PANDELIS KARAYORGIS TRIO: HEART AND SACK (LEO LAB/ HDCD)

STEVE LACY/ DANIEL HUMAIR/ ANTHONY COX: WORK (SKETCH)

JOHN LlOYD: FOUR AND FIVE (hatOLOGY)

JOE McPHEE & JOHNNY McLELLAN: GRAND MARQUIS (BOXHOLDER/ HDCD)

MISHA MENGELBERG TRIO: NO IDEA (DIW)

NRG ENSEMBLE: BEJAZZO GETS A FACE LIFT (ATAVISTIC)

MARCIN OLES & BATHOLOMIEJ BRAT OLES + THEO JÖRGENSMANN: MINIATURES (NOT TWO RECORDS)

ART PEPPER: ART PEPPER MEETS THE RYTHM SECTION (ANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS/ 24 KARAT GOLD)

ART PEPPER: THE INTIMATE ART PEPPER (ANALOGUE PRODUCTION)

SONNY ROLLINS: SAXOPHONE COLOSSUS (DCC/ 24 KARAT GOLD)

SONNY ROLLINS: WAY OUT WEST (ANALOG PROD/ 24 KARAT GOLD)

LOUIS SCLAVIS QUINTET: L'AFFRONTEMENT DES PRETENDANTS (ECM)

SONNY SIMMONS: ANCIENT RITUAL (QWEST RECORDS/ WARNER)

CECIL TAYLOR: THE WILLISAU CONCERT (INTAKT)

KEN VANDERMARK: IDEAS (NOT TWO)

Edited by P.L.M

Guest donald petersen

how do you guys feel about recordings on the three blind mice (TBM) label?

i have met people who think what is his name-tee fuji?-and his label really has among the best sound....

This one's easy. An original "Stereo Records" pressing (the stereo version of Contemporary at the time) of The Poll Winners Ride Again.

excellent choice! i thought *i* was the only one who raved about this record.

Believe it or not, my copy (mint!) only cost a buck or two. I think the dealer thought that "Stereo" was some later-period re-issue/knock-off label. :g

didnt i do a post once on what the best sounding BNs were, i remember the worst but the best ones i forget? what was the consensus on that again?

Hey chewy - check out the home-made covers thread. You'll love it. :g

Yeah Aric...check out the thread and make yourself a SAMMICH.

:crazy:

I prefer mono LPs, but that said, here's a stereo record with great sonics. Not exactly jazz from a purist's standpoint, but on the cusp: Henry Mancini's Combo album, recorded just after Peter Gunn. Features a nine or 10 piece group with rhythm and 4 horns. I have an early RCA Living Stereo copy with the black Little Nipper label that sounds fan - f*cking-tastic. Bass and drums are dead center, everything else is spread out across the spectrum. The cymbals have a nice sizzle without sounding harsh, and the trumpet has a nice rounded quality that doesn't force me to dive for the treble. Great bass, great presence. There are two novelty numbers on the album but the other 10 are first rate.