Japanese releases 7/2007

J.A.W.

TOCJ 66387 Charlap,Bill(p)/Autumn in New York 2500

I wonder if this is different from Charlap's "Live at the Village Vanguard" that has just been released. I hope it is. I'm always ready for more Charlap -- esp. in a trio setting.

It could be the same recording. I haven't found an english tracklist, but both CDs have 9 tracks and the lenght of the tracknames in japanese (whose characters only display as cubes in my browser) on the japanese CD are similar to the english tracklist of the US CD.

There's an Eric Alexander 'Sunday in New York' mini-lp being released at about the same time. Sounds as though some wires got crossed somewhere along the line?

Don't know anything about the Gonsalves....any online preview clips that you know of? I'd like to hear a few notes.

Weizen — look for sound samples of the first "Impressed" compilation by Gilles Peterson. It has one track from the Gonsalves album (a very nice swinger). If that track is any indication, the album should be fine indeed. The sound too (at least on that one track) is excellent.

:tup

Found it on Vol 2........sounds excellent! :tup Had never heard of those compilations before....thanks. :tup I also checked out -- and very much enjoyed -- that one number by the Michael Garrick Trio ('First Born'). Think I'll need to get that cd as well. :w

UCCV 9326(DSD Mastering)(2 CD) Konitz,Lee(as) & Bill Evans(p)/Live at the Half Note* 3900

I noticed this one also. How do I order this (sorry I'm so out of the loop on this :blush: )?

Why not e-mail Hiroshi Tanno: hiroshi@earlyrecords.com - he takes PayPal and his shipping rates are quite reasonable.

And you get the cds quicker than you would ever think possible!

Is this...

UCCV 9326(DSD Mastering)(2 CD) Konitz,Lee(as) & Bill Evans(p)/Live at the Half Note* 3900

basically this...

f59461qq3hf.jpg

Disc: 1

1. Palo Alto

2. How About You?

3. My Melancholy Baby

4. Scrapple From The Apple

5. You Stepped Out Of A Dream

6. 317 E 32nd

Disc: 2

1. April

2. It's You Or No One

3. Just Friends

4. Baby, Baby All The Time

5. Lennie-Bird

6. Subconscious-Lee

:huh::huh::huh:

Will any kind soul answer my query?

I would imagine that the new Japanese Konitz/Half Note reissue is identical in content to the original U.S. version. There might be a new remastering with this set, but that's just a guess.

The music is terrific, and the sound (on the U.S. edition) is really quite good for a live recording. If you haven't yet heard this set, and like the Tristano school in general, you'll want to get the package at some point, though 3900¥ is fairly pricey. Maybe getting the U.S. edition used is the way to go?

Edited by Late

• 2 months later...

On July 18, 2007

UCCM 9242 Gonsalves,Paul(ts)/Boom-Jackie-Boom-Chick* 2300

UCCM 9243 Ross,Ronnie(bs)/Cleopatra's Needle* 2300

So how limited were these things anyway!?!? I am trying to get a copy and so far, Hiroshi can only get me the Ronnie Ross CD. Does anyone know where I can order a copy of the Gonsalves disc? Did they print like 500 copies? One month's stock?

Kevin

To make sure I get them I always preo-rder these kind of issues from Japan with Hiroshi. I once missed the Ronnie Foster - Cheshire Cat TOCJ which I ordered when it came out (together with the rest of the batch) and it never came. It was also rarely on eBay. That one must have been printed in small quatities as well (finally did manage to get it for top dollar on eBay).

Up - and this time with context, so you know what I'm talking of: regarding the reissue of Paul Gonsalves' Boom-Jackie-Boom-Chick:

So can someone confirm on which tracks Jack Sharpe is on tenor? He's clearly on Coltrane's "Village Blues" (#3), but I'm not sure if one of the tenor solos on #8 is him, too... anyone?

By the way, Sharpe "supervised" the session and he's the "Jackie" from the title tune. Gonsalves died in Sharpe's flat, he was one of the closest friends of Gonsalves', it seems.

Up - and this time with context, so you know what I'm talking of: regarding the reissue of Paul Gonsalves' Boom-Jackie-Boom-Chick:

So can someone confirm on which tracks Jack Sharpe is on tenor? He's clearly on Coltrane's "Village Blues" (#3), but I'm not sure if one of the tenor solos on #8 is him, too... anyone?

By the way, Sharpe "supervised" the session and he's the "Jackie" from the title tune. Gonsalves died in Sharpe's flat, he was one of the closest friends of Gonsalves', it seems.

from the linernotes:

"As the last track was Paul's choice, the next one Village Blues was Pat Smythe's. Long a fervent admirer of John Coltrane, Pat suggested this Coltrane original, as he had always wanted to hear how this blues would sound fashioned by the Gonsalves method. To make up the voicing that Paul thought this number required another tenor was added for this track. A bystander who happened to be in the studio was used, no one knew his name -- but all the boys agreed that he was indeed a real 'sharp cat' if they ever heard one. He is to be heard again for a fleeting second on the final bars of You Are Too Beautiful."

from the linernotes:

"As the last track was Paul's choice, the next one Village Blues was Pat Smythe's. Long a fervent admirer of John Coltrane, Pat suggested this Coltrane original, as he had always wanted to hear how this blues would sound fashioned by the Gonsalves method. To make up the voicing that Paul thought this number required another tenor was added for this track. A bystander who happened to be in the studio was used, no one knew his name -- but all the boys agreed that he was indeed a real 'sharp cat' if they ever heard one. He is to be heard again for a fleeting second on the final bars of You Are Too Beautiful."

Thanks! I read on the blogity sphere that this was Sharpe (or was it in the AAJ-britjazz thread? Found it via google is all I remember). Sharpe also does a short appearance on the other Vocalion album of Gonsalves' that's been on CD thanks to Dutton (don't have it yet, though).