Unknown Monk?

brownie

ditto for what Jack said - if this guy cares so much about the historic importance he will want to determine not only what it is - but also might want to make a dub for posterity becfore it either gets lost or disappears into some collection - and there are plenty of good transfer engineers who know how to handle something like this -

of course, it could end up being someone's idea of a joke - take an old disc recorder and dub Kenny G off of a CD -

Random thoughts...

Whoever marked the label spelled Monk's first name "Thelonius".

Was the 2/16/48 RB from the Three Deuces? (I don't see that specified in any online discogs I've checked... but I did find a clip at WNYC's site, here.

An ebayer has written to the seller recommending that only distilled water be used to clean it... and he refers to it as an "LP". :huh:

Extra spindle hole... would Monk sound "normal" if that one was used?

At $9,500 starting bid I or someone I trusted would need to hear it before bidding.

"No idea what it is worth" -- ?? Clearly, he does, given the starting price. I hate to think the fees he'll have to eat for putting it online.

And to think I won the Four Sounds Demo Acetate for just 50 cents plus shipping. What a strange world we live in.

:g

An ebayer has written to the seller recommending that only distilled water be used to clean it... and he refers to it as an "LP". :huh:

I was told to use mild dish detergent and warm water, and it did wonders for the 4 Sounds acetate. The only thing you really want to do is keep the label dry, which isn't the easiest thing when you are trying to rinse the soap out.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the comment that it "looks playable." In other words, the seller hasn't actually tried to listen to what's on it, but if you want to pay $10,000 for the privilege of being the first to do so, be my guest. If it turns out not to be Thelonious Monk, no refunds. :g

• 6 months later...

Look at this item recently appeared on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...rksid=p3907.m29

You can imagine my excitement when I found this ultra rare Thelonious Monk acetate in a dusty box of jazz records at a yard sale in an affluent Boston suburb. I first listed this item on Ebay last summer at a huge price and had a greater number of Ebayers interested in it than in any item I’ve ever listed. At the time, however, I had no way of providing a sample of the music. I am now able to do so. The two-sided disc, which plays for a bit more than four minutes on each side, is slightly warped and has a small amount of damage at the extreme periphery, where a bit of aluminum is showing. None of this prevented me from playing the 78 acetate and listening to it. The sound quality has the usual surface noise to which acetates are subject (and which can be removed from what I’ve read.) To listen to a 30-second clip of the acetate, you may either go to YouTube and type in “Acetate Sample” or use this link to access it: Acetate Sample Does anyone out there recognize the tune? (I’m not a jazz expert.) It’s hard to know how high the bidding on this acetate will go – but judging from the interest last time, I expect quite high. Acetate collectors were shocked, of course, when an unknown, early acetate of the VELVET UNDERGOUND brought $155,401 on Ebay! Jazz devotees will know of two other celebrated discoveries of jazz recordings – the Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker acetates discovered in Massachusetts by Dr. Robert Sunenblick of Uptown Records (see: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/31/arts/mus...agewanted=print ) and the find at the Library of Congress -- see Robert Siegel, “Unearthing Unknown Monk, Coltrane Recording” (see -- http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4946796 ) The DUODISC acetates were available in the early 1950s – so I am imagining that this recording of Monk playing at the legendary THREE DEUCES dates from that era – or earlier? In any event, this is a major opportunity for a jazz collector, recording company, or Monk aficionado.

Starting bid at: $500.00

30 seconds sound sample on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L_uQ2eEpAE