26-hours (round-trip) van-ride with co-workers -- CD's to pack??

Hi all,

Leaving on Monday morning at 6am, so that's in not much more than 24-hours for now.

This is my 2nd year going on an annual week-long planning retreat for everyone in the non-profit organization I work for (a small 20-person operation). The retreat is in Grand Lake, Colorado every year -- which necessitates two 13-hour drives from Kansas City (26-hours round-trip). Last year I packed too much obscure music that people didn't know, and there wasn't enough interest in the music I brought in order to turn the volume on the car-stereo enough so people could really hear it much. So, this year I'm erring on the side of MUCH more familiar tunes (so that means LOTS of pop "greatest hits" CD's, which I won't bore you with).

BUT, for the JAZZ CD's I'm planning to take this year, I've narrowed down my choices to the following (which I could even narrow a bit further perhaps)...

Miles - Kind of Blue -- of course, how could I not take this one.

Miles - Sketches of Spain -- hard not to like this one either, but I have run into a few people that don't care for it.

Eddie Henderson - Time & Spaces (2004) -- a brilliant "trumpet + piano trio" album, a tiny bit "out", but not really ("electric Miles"-ish for people that wouldn't like "electric Miles" - Eddie doesn't plug in on any of this, but they do cover some some "electric Miles"-ish material.

Diz & Bird - Town Hall -- Bebop, but/and there's a good story to tell about the recording itself.

Monk & Trane - Carnegie Hall -- another good story about the recording.

Russ Long - Time to Go -- recent local (KC) tribute to local great Russ Long (and he's on it too, his last recording), with a TON of musicians I know personally (including our own Free For All!!), blowin' VERY strong on some accessible material, in a bigger "small group" context (four-horn front line).

Pablo Ziegler Quartet - Tango & All That Jazz (w/ special guest Stefon Harris) -- a rather fantastic live tango album with a jazz attitude - and the guitar-player is electric for a change, in a sort of "Grant Green" kind of way. (Every other "tango" group I've heard or have recordings of has acoustic guitar.)

Now, THAT's what I've already got packed in the CD flip-file case (everything up above). Here's what I'm ALSO toying with taking...

Woody Shaw Concert Ensemble - Berliner Jazztage -- these arrangements and the playing both kill me every time. And while my wife doesn't exactly "love" it, she tolerates this recording as well as any jazz stuff I ever play (particular with sax, which she doesn't really care for much).

Brad Mehldau - Day is Done (2005) -- one Radiohead cover, two Beatles covers, a Bacharach cover, a Nick Drake cover, and a Paul Simon cover - plus a handful of originals. Some solo piano, but mostly his most recent trio (with Jeff Ballard on drums), and not all the tunes are long and drawn out.

Nat Adderley - Saying' Somethin' -- 'Side one' is kind of a big-band thing, and 'side two' is all small-combo - so that's some nice contrast and variation right there. Some tunes people will know too: "Walls of Jericho", "Satin Doll" (in a very 'poppish' arrangement), 'Cantaloupe Island". Side one is mostly shorter tunes too, which probably is a plus.

Lee Morgan - Standards -- The Conn from early 1967, all Duke Pearson arrangements. Very approachable and "tasty" without getting to 'in your face' about it.

Any other suggestions, or do any of these sound like a recipe for disaster?? Riding out I'm in a vehicle with three women, all of them probably in their mid-40's to mid-50's -- none of them specifically jazz fans, but probably as open-minded about music they don't know as anyone in the general public (anyone without a huge interest in music, I should also say). No idea who'll be in the van I'm in coming back.

(I'm sure I'll revisit this topic in future years (as long as I work for this organization), so here's a thread for me to do that in annually.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woody Shaw Concert Ensemble - Berliner Jazztage -- these arrangements and the playing both kill me every time. And while my wife doesn't exactly "love" it, she tolerates this recording as well as any jazz stuff I ever play (particular with sax, which she doesn't really care for much).

Brilliant album though this is, I wonder if this might have the ladies pulling their hair out? Something lighter perhaps - maybe one of Woody's more ballad-oriented quartet albums perhaps? 'In My Own Sweet Way', perhaps?

If it's 13 hours in a car with the same people one way, and then you got to spend more time with them, and then 13 more hours, how the hell is that a "retreat"?

I mean, hey - I love everybody, really I do. But the number of people I like well enough to go through all that is somewhere between 0 & 1...

If it's 13 hours in a car with the same people one way, and then you got to spend more time with them, and then 13 more hours, how the hell is that a "retreat"?

I mean, hey - I love everybody, really I do. But the number of people I like well enough to go through all that is somewhere between 0 & 1...

And you forgot in your calculus that the organization does this EVERY YEAR, and the trip is essentially mandatory.

But in defense of the people that came up with this crazy idea -- the organization is a collection of what could have been "one-person" (or "two person") not-for-profits all unto themselves. But instead, all organized together as a 'collective' under one organizational "umbrella".

So, 51 weeks out of the year, the amount of interaction between the people at work is often fairly minimal (perhaps 10 or 15 hours per week at most - or often even less). For instance, I'm in the office with any of these people only about once-per-week, and working elsewhere the rest of the time. So, it's not like we're all sick of working with each other all the time, like it would be in a conventional organization.

That said, 26 hours is still a pretty long time in a vehicle with the same people. Oh, and just to clear this one up...

* so we're all donating x amount $$$ so ya'll can take a vacation in Colorado?

The place we're going to is owned by the organization itself -- so the cost for the week is next to nothing, except for transportation and food costs. I don't know the details, but the trip is as dirt cheap as one could ever imagine. Think "summer camp" circa 1970 - and you're not far off.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I think its extraordinarily presumptuous to think that people who aren't jazz fans to begin with would be interested in hardly anything you want to bring. I've tried the proselytizing thing during road trips with friends and it never ever works. Bring all the pop/rock/whatever greatest hits discs that you know these people will enjoy (and hopefully you can stand too), and hope that you can play two or three jazz things that you'll enjoy and won't drive other people nuts. Or else invite everyone to bring four or five discs of their own choosing, and rotate the CD programming among the group.

Otherwise plan on carrying on a conversation.

Good advice from Dan.

I can't imagine subjecting my wife & kids to that much road trip jazz, let alone co-workers.

That said, I've noticed that anything by Frank Sinatra is usually welcomed ("Swinging Lovers, for instance). If you have it, "Harry "Sweets" Edison and his Orchestra" might be worth a try as well.

Hit 'em with some Ellington sooner or later. (1940-42 Blanton/Webster band, Such Sweet Thunder, Fargo, Blues In Orbit, and Piano Reflections come to mind, but it's all good.) Don't forget the Mobley and Tina Brooks. Serge Chaloff (Blue Serge) and Charlie Rouse (Soul Mates) are also good choices for the jazz-indifferent. And have you heard? Everybody digs Bill Evans!

Edited by BruceH

I think its extraordinarily presumptuous to think that people who aren't jazz fans to begin with would be interested in hardly anything you want to bring. I've tried the proselytizing thing during road trips with friends and it never ever works. Bring all the pop/rock/whatever greatest hits discs that you know these people will enjoy (and hopefully you can stand too), and hope that you can play two or three jazz things that you'll enjoy and won't drive other people nuts. Or else invite everyone to bring four or five discs of their own choosing, and rotate the CD programming among the group.

On the other hand, Dan has a very good point. ( :( )

And unless your wheels have a really nice sound system, I'd stay away from subtle stuff that is difficult to appreciate over road noise (ballads, much chamber music, etc). Maybe a jazz recording could be used to break up a parade of pop/rock/folk greatest hits albums--anyone for Malachi Thompson and Africa Brass performing "Lift Every Voice"? :D

Dan's right, of course, about bringing as much "popular music" as I can -- so I'm one step ahead of you, Dan.

FYI, a strong majority of the people where I work are women, average age probably about 40 to 45. So, here's all the pop/rock I'm bringing (and already had packed before I even started this thread)...

ABBA - Greatest Hits (Gold)

Beatles - Love (the new mish-mash thing, sort of a Greatest Hits)

Blondie - Greatest Hits (Best of...)

Death Cab for Cutie - Plans (their latest release) -- stupid name for a band, but GREAT music

Eurythmics - Greatest Hits

Evanescence - The Open Door (their 2nd album) -- think Jim Steinman's "Meatloaf"-type material, but with a female singer

The Fixx - Greatest Hits

Ben Folds Five - Reinhold Messner (their last album before Folds went solo)

Peter Gabriel - So

Genesis - Greatest Hits (Platinum Collection, Disc #1 - the more recent 3rd of the 3-disc set)

Don Henley's - Greatest Hits (Actual Miles)

The Impressions - This is my Country / The Young Mods Forgotten Story

Elton John tribute - Two Room, Celebrating The songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin

Billy Joel - Songs in the Attic (live collection of deeper album tracks)

k.d. lang - Ingenue

Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstacy

The Police tribute - by Modern Rock artists (forget the title)

R.E.M. - Greatest Hits ('88-'03, Best of WB years)

Snow Patrol - Eyes Open (their most recent release)

Steely Dan - Greatest Hits (Gold)

Sting - All This Time (live in front of a studio audience "career overview" type thing)

Tears for Tears - Greatest Hits

U2 - Joshua Tree

The Rainmakers (Kansas City band from the 80's) - Tornado (1987)

Bob Walkenhorset - The Beginner (lead singer of The Rainmakers, and a personal friend of mine)

Steve Winwood - Greatest Hits (Chronicles, just his solo-work - so no Traffic, Blind Faith, etc...)

Then the jazz...

Nat Adderly - Saying' Somethin'

Miles - Kind of Blue

Diz & Bird - Townhall

Russ Long tribute - Time to Go

Brad Mehldau trio - Day is Done

Monk and Trane - Carnegie

Lee Morgan - Standards

Pablo Ziegler 4tet (w/ Stefon Harris) - Tango meets Jazz

Rooster_Ties - Blindfold Test, Disc #1

Korngold - Symphony in F-sharp (yes, that Korngold, the movie-soundtrack guy)

13-hours in a van is a LONG time.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

out of curiosity: does that have some jazz aspect to it? (all i know by Korngold is an opera i once saw, liked it a lot but it sure wasn't "jazzy")

out of curiosity: does that have some jazz aspect to it? (all i know by Korngold is an opera i once saw, liked it a lot but it sure wasn't "jazzy")

Not really. Just a great Neo-romantic symphony that I think people not familiar with Classical Music could possibly connect with. Reminds me of Barber at times.

Dan's right, of course, about bringing as much "popular music" as I can -- so I'm one step ahead of you, Dan.

FYI, a strong majority of the people where I work are women, average age probably about 40 to 45. So, here's all the pop/rock I'm bringing (and already had packed before I even started this thread)...

ABBA - Greatest Hits (Gold)

Beatles - Love (the new mish-mash thing, sort of a Greatest Hits)

Blondie - Greatest Hits (Best of...)

Death Cab for Cutie - Plans (their latest release) -- stupid name for a band, but GREAT music

Eurythmics - Greatest Hits

Evanescence - The Open Door (their 2nd album) -- think Jim Steinman's "Meatloaf"-type material, but with a female singer

The Fixx - Greatest Hits

Ben Folds Five - Reinhold Messner (their last album before Folds went solo)

Peter Gabriel - So

Genesis - Greatest Hits (Platinum Collection, Disc #1 - the more recent 3rd of the 3-disc set)

Don Henley's - Greatest Hits (Actual Miles)

The Impressions - This is my Country / The Young Mods Forgotten Story

Elton John tribute - Two Room, Celebrating The songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin

Billy Joel - Songs in the Attic (live collection of deeper album tracks)

k.d. lang - Ingenue

Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstacy

The Police tribute - by Modern Rock artists (forget the title)

R.E.M. - Greatest Hits ('88-'03, Best of WB years)

Snow Patrol - Eyes Open (their most recent release)

Steely Dan - Greatest Hits (Gold)

Sting - All This Time (live in front of a studio audience "career overview" type thing)

Tears for Tears - Greatest Hits

U2 - Joshua Tree

The Rainmakers (Kansas City band from the 80's) - Tornado (1987)

Bob Walkenhorset - The Beginner (lead singer of The Rainmakers, and a personal friend of mine)

Steve Winwood - Greatest Hits (Chronicles, just his solo-work - so no Traffic, Blind Faith, etc...)

Then the jazz...

Nat Adderly - Saying' Somethin'

Miles - Kind of Blue

Diz & Bird - Townhall

Russ Long tribute - Time to Go

Brad Mehldau trio - Day is Done

Monk and Trane - Carnegie

Lee Morgan - Standards

Pablo Ziegler 4tet (w/ Stefon Harris) - Tango meets Jazz

Rooster_Ties - Blindfold Test, Disc #1

13-hours in a van is a LONG time.

That's a lot of cds, dude.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the farts in such close quarters for 13 hours rather than the tunes.

:ph34r:;):w

If the van had satellite radio it would save you a lot of trouble. :cool:

Have they asked you to expose them to music, or is this a self-appointed thing? It might be presumptuous of you to think they want to be exposed to what you want them to listen to.

I like Dan's suggestion that everyone bring music that they like, and each person in the car takes turns playing their choice. That's much more democratic. Beside, with 3 other women riding with you, it's likely they'll prefer chatting to listening to music intently anyway.

Beside, with 3 other women riding with you..

Dude, you have done dissed the Rooster's manhood. Prepare to be bitch-slapped. Or worse!

Ooops, sorry Tom! :lol:

Though with that much time in the car perhaps the four of you can give each other pedicures while listening to Diz & Bird. :P