If the posts that I put so much thought into...

freeform83

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I was being inconsiderate. I apologize. I really just wanted my posts to be there for future Marion Brown fans, and there were a few others where I was looking forward to responses.

I understand and believe me, I don't like to lose data. But as I explained, this is the very first time we've lost any posts. Stick around... re-post your thoughts... you'll be happy you did, I guarantee.

Of course, it's never quite the same the second time around. If it's not exactly like a Jazz solo, still most of these posts are written on the hoof - and you lose the freshness. I mean, like it's fun to write the first time, because you're telling yourself - as well as others - what you feel. But the second time, you already know.

And then there's the element of clarifying in your mind - I mean, the whole process of writing (in general), makes you work out exactly what you do think. Here it is, in front of everybody, I'd better make sure this is what I think, as it were.

Of course, these considerations apply to computer crashes as well as site outrages - and, for this reason, people do back up documents. When I was on rec.music.bluenote, I used to store all the material that mattered to me for fear google/usenet access would go belly-up.

What about the more general issue of losing material? There is one aspect, which I suppose I could broach. When bluenote disappeared their board, all that wonderful stuff posted there, went phoooeee. Clearly no bulletin board is forever, but it would be nice to know that the data we've got here still might still be available when and if....

I think Jazz historians of the future might be interested in it.

Simon Weil

well, as long as everything is stable now, I can post something I've been putting off for a few weeks - it's so important I didn't want it to get lost -

I had a dream the other night - but not just any dream - in this dream I woke up and there, sitting in a chair in my room was Charlie Parker-

"Bird!" I cried. "Is that you?"

"Yes, Allen," he intoned with grave purpose. "I see where you have been troubled by this Al Haig business. So I have decided to come to you - yes, I have picked YOU - I would have apppeared at Ron Carter's house, but he's so damned obnoxious and arrogant. And let's face it, he hasn't made a good recording in 20 years, and I'm not really crazy about how he makes the changes on Stella -- "

"yeah, I know, Bird, but would you get to the point?"

"oh, sorry. Yes, Allen, I have come to YOU, ALLEN LOWE - and did I mention that Carter plays too damn loud?"

"No, but I agree."

"It's not that he plays Stella wrong, it's just that on the last eight he doesn't listen to the rest of the rhythmm section - and he pushes the damn time - "

"Hey Bird, it's late and I'm kinda tired - I have to work tomorrow - "

"sorry - anyway, where was I?"

"You've picked me to tell me something."

"Righto, kid. Also wanted to mention I like that Organissom forum. and you're right. That Yanow guy is really not the greatest. But that Litchfield fest looks kinda cool - though I sent them a promo packet, and they wouldn't hire me -"

"I'll tell Alfredson - but can you get to the point?"

"Oh yeah, now I remember. I've been dead more than 50 years, and I feel it's time to come back and tell people the true meaning of not just MY lfe, but of all life -"

"Bird, are you kidding? Are you about to tell me the true meaning of life?"

"You got it Lowe - straight from God's mouth to my mouth to your ears - are you ready?"

"Hit it Bird, I'm all ears."

Bird stood up, and begin to speak:

"Listen carefully Lowe, because I'm only going to say this once, and than I will be gone for eternity. And feel free to quote me on Organissimo.

"The meaning of life is

Edited by AllenLowe

No, but you can delete the entire thread if you'd like, since you started the thread. Look at the lower left hand corner of the last post on the page. You'll see a white box that says "moderation options". Choose "delete this topic" and voila. Of course, you might hear from Allen Lowe if you delete his awesome dream! ;)

A few posts?? A few hours of posts?? Pffffffttt, that's nothing! You should have seen some of the stuff, lost forever, that a lot of us posted onto the Blue Note bulletin board.

Then there's also all the stuff that vanished into the ether when www.jazzcentralstation.com closed. Or even all of the stuff that was on the original Speakeasy at Jazz Corner (more than just what's in their "Archives").

Organissimo's been very good at retaining a history. This board is one of the better ones.

Kevin