GO ICHIRO GO!!!

mlb_g_ichiro_hr_412.jpg

Man he looks like George Sisler or somethin' :excited:

Ichiro could make $100M in deal with Mariners

SAN FRANCISCO -- Ichiro Suzuki is closing in on a contract extension with the Seattle Mariners -- and he showed his club why it would want to keep him around for the long haul.

Suzuki hit the first inside-the-park home run in All-Star Game history Tuesday night, winning MVP honors and helping the American League to a 5-4 victory. His go-ahead, two-run drive off San Diego's Chris Young took a crazy bounce off the right-field wall -- he's never hit one during the regular season.

"It's one that I'll never forget," Suzuki said. "The past six years, I never had an All-Star that I really thought I gave it my all or was able to give it my all. So, I'm really happy. It was a fun All-Star Game."

Meanwhile, multiple media outlets in Seattle are reporting that Suzuki and the Mariners are on the verge of a five-year contract extension. The Seattle Times says that the deal could be worth almost $100 million.

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports that the terms could be made official on Thursday.

Suzuki's agent, Tony Attanasio, would not confirm a deal.

"We're still talking but we're not at the point where we have anything to announce," he said on Tuesday, according to The Associated Press.

At the All-Star Game in San Francisco, Suzuki would not say whether the sides were close to a contract.

"Whatever happens, everybody will know in the future, whenever that might be," he said through an interpreter at his locker before taking the field for batting practice. "Maybe three hours from now, maybe after the season. I'm done for today [on the topic].''

Attanasio told the Post-Intelligencer that he was in San Diego, not in Seattle talking to the Mariners.

"And I have appointments [Wednesday] down here, and I'm planning on being here," Attanasio said, according to the P-I. "But that doesn't mean something couldn't happen. If a phone call comes and a deal is out there to be had, then I'm going to get on the next plane."

Suzuki's four-year, $41 million contract ends after this season, and with the Mariners struggling the past couple of years the two-time batting champion had indicated that he may test free agency.

But the M's have rebounded this season. They have a 49-36 record at the All-Star break, and Suzuki has a lot to do with that resurgence. He is batting .359, has 128 hits and has stolen 23 bases in 25 attempts. The seven-time All-Star was making his sixth straight start in the Midsummer Classic on Tuesday.

And Suzuki's inside-the-park homer was the talk of the night.

"That was sweet," Red Sox slugger David Ortiz said. "That ball is a double and he turns it into more."

By the sixth inning, Suzuki already had all three hits.

While Barry Bonds was the talk of this All-Star Game, Suzuki's new deal in the works brought him some added attention on the AL side before the game.

Then, the homer became one of the highlights in San Francisco's typically pitcher-friendly park.

"Man, that was fun," AL teammate C.C. Sabathia of the Cleveland Indians said. "It was exciting to see."

Seattle would be excited to see Suzuki stay. His willingness to remain in Seattle also might have become stronger since the abrupt resignation of manager Mike Hargrove on July 1. Hargrove said his "passion has begun to fade."

The relationship between Suzuki and Hargrove was tenuous at times, but both insisted their differences were in the past. Hargrove insisted his decision to step down had nothing to do with any disputes with players or the front office.

The Mariners promoted bench coach John McLaren for the rest of the year. He and Suzuki get along well and developed a strong relationship during Suzuki's rookie year in 2001. Seattle matched a major league record with an AL-best 116 wins that year, and Suzuki was named AL Rookie of the Year and MVP.

This season marks the first time in his professional career -- either with Seattle or the Orix Blue Wave in Japan -- that Suzuki has played in the final season of a contract. In spring training, he sounded ready to test the market and see what his value would be to another team.

"I've played 15 years of professional baseball and I have never filed for free agency. I have never had the choice, to choose for myself which road I want to take," Suzuki said in February. "So if you ask me is it possible that I will go to free agency, yes, it is possible.

"But if you ask me what are my feelings toward it, at this point I cannot express it. I am not even sure myself. But what I can say is my mind is full of having the best season possible."

Suzuki had a club-record 25-game hitting streak in June and hit safely in 55 of his last 59 games before the All-Star break.

On Monday's media session leading into the All-Star Game, Suzuki was reveling in the Mariners' success of late.

"The team is completely different than last year ... the mental state is different and how everyone is taking it is totally different than last year," he said. "There have been seasons in the past where the season would already be over at this point."

This guy is the most amazing baseball player I've ever seen. And I seen 10 years of Griffey in his prime. He's like a throwback from a different era. He beats out routine ground balls to short regularly. He beats out routine ground balls to second occasionally. He smacks balls off the plate so they go way in the air and he beats that out. He's got a cannon arm, has 6 gold gloves, has hit well above .300 every year he's played in the majors and holds the single season record for hits. 100 million is a bargain when you think about what he's worth to the frachise.

I didn't see it, but I read about it in this morning's paper. How ironic he got that hit off a former Ranger! <_<

Still, that's very VERY cool! I've gotta watch it at mlb.com, I'm sure they have the clip!

AFAIC, he's worth every penny he asks for.

If you took away his marketing appeal as the best Japanese player in MLB, I tend to doubt that 100 million is quite right for a singles hitter who doesn't walk. And I say that as someone with great respect for the skill set he does have and thinks he'll go into the HoF.

I hear ya Dan, but he is possibly one of the most fit & flexible players to ever play. There's a good chance that unlike Damon he'll still be able to play CF when he's in his late 30s and play it well. Andruw Jones poor play has probably helped his asking price too, though obviously the marketing factors in too.

You've probably heard the talk that "if he wanted to" he could hit 20 homers and "only" hit .300 but he chooses not to. I tend to view that sort of talk with a bit skepticism (though 2005 saw more triples & homers with a lower average), but it will be fascinating to see if he is asked or able to do that in a few more years, assuming his speed declines. His steal percentage has been mind-blowing lately. I'm thrilled it looks like he's staying, as though not perfect he's such an interesting player.

I dig Ichiro a lot, but am afraid that his speed-based game may not hold up through a new 5-year contract.

Still, he brings in so much revenue from Japanese sources that, as long as he can play at a respectable level, the dollars probably make sense from a business/P&L perspective (if not from the strictly baseball POV).

If you took away his marketing appeal as the best Japanese player in MLB, I tend to doubt that 100 million is quite right for a singles hitter who doesn't walk. And I say that as someone with great respect for the skill set he does have and thinks he'll go into the HoF.

I can't disagree more. He is more than just a singles hitter who doesn't walk. Much more. He's one of the best defensive centerfielders in the game right now. Runners hardly ever take a chance on his arm. He hardly ever strikes out. He bats over .500 with runners in scoring position. And when it's a tie game in the late innings he pops it over the fence. He hardly ever gets caught stealing, and has a work ethic that is next to none - and believe me, it rubs off on the rest of the team. he's the leader of the team and he doesn't even speak English. He leads by example. 100 million is a bargain. believe me. I watch him play day in and day out.

Whatever you say, Johnny, but I'd think you know full well that he does speak English and speaks it quite well and clearly. Its been remarked upon many times especially lately, but one time that comes to mind is during a Fox broadcast where the umpire was mic'd and picked up his conversation with a middle infielder after he reached second base. You didn't exactly need subtitles to understand what he was saying.

As for your statistics, he strikes out more often than he walks, which is not exactly something that a leadoff batter should do. And as I am sure you are aware, he doesn't actually hit .500 with runners in scoring position. :rolleyes:

You should also remember that you are paying for future performance based on the past. Is it really likely that he will be worth 20 million a year at the end of this contract?

Whatever you say, Johnny, but I'd think you know full well that he does speak English and speaks it quite well and clearly. Its been remarked upon many times especially lately, but one time that comes to mind is during a Fox broadcast where the umpire was mic'd and picked up his conversation with a middle infielder after he reached second base. You didn't exactly need subtitles to understand what he was saying.

Well maybe, but he uses an interpreter for interviews and, although he may be able to speak trash in English, he is far from being able to be the team's motivational speaker.

As for your statistics, he strikes out more often than he walks, which is not exactly something that a leadoff batter should do.

31 BB's, 35 SO's. With SO's that low, you know he's putting the ball in play. And with his speed he causes the other team to have throwing errors at least every third game.

And as I am sure you are aware, he doesn't actually hit .500 with runners in scoring position. :rolleyes:

OK, you want the real stats? He has a .422 average with runners in scoring position, a .455 average with runners in scoring position and two outs, and is batting .667 with the bases loaded. source My bad. :rolleyes:

You should also remember that you are paying for future performance based on the past. Is it really likely that he will be worth 20 million a year at the end of this contract?

He has never been on the disabled list in 7 years and is one of the finest conditioned athletes I've ever seen. He'll be just as good in 5 years as he is now, trust me.

Dan, with all due respect, all you doing is looking at numbers. I see the guy play day in and day out. He is one of the greatest players ever, period.

Well maybe, but he uses an interpreter for interviews and, although he may be able to speak trash in English, he is far from being able to be the team's motivational speaker.

He wasn't talking trash. He was talking like all of these modern era players do - like old friends visiting for a couple of minutes.

It seems obvious to me that he is perfectly capable of making himself understood in English, with a minimal accent, and I'll bet that indeed he does talk to his teammates behind closed doors. For some reason he insists on having an interpreter for interviews, probably because he doesn't want to risk being misunderstood.

As for your statistics, he strikes out more often than he walks, which is not exactly something that a leadoff batter should do.

31 BB's, 35 SO's. With SO's that low, you know he's putting the ball in play. And with his speed he causes the other team to have throwing errors at least every third game.

I'm talking about career - he's struck out 108 times more than he's walked. For a hitter with such a high BA, why has his OBP exceeded .400 only once in a full season? Because he doesn't walk.

Something else to consider: what hitters is he similar to? According to Baseball Reference.com, he's mostly similar to a bunch of guys who hit in the dead ball era. I would have guessed that he'd be similar to Wade Boggs or Tony Gwynn or even Rod Carew - but apparently his slugging percentage and OBP doesn't qualify. This doesn't surprise anyone?

And as I am sure you are aware, he doesn't actually hit .500 with runners in scoring position. :rolleyes:

OK, you want the real stats? He has a .422 average with runners in scoring position, a .455 average with runners in scoring position and two outs, and is batting .667 with the bases loaded. source My bad. :rolleyes:

Again, I am talking about career stats, and that is a BA of .349 with RISP.

I'm sorry, I'm just not a big time numbers guy. There is more to baseball than stats. And I know enough about the game to know when I'm watching one of the greatest players of the modern era. Sometimes a players' persona is just as important than tteir .OBP, their confidence as important than their Avg. It's about what you bring to the ballpark, in it's entirety, that counts.

I'm sorry, I'm just not a big time numbers guy. There is more to baseball than stats. And I know enough about the game to know when I'm watching one of the greatest players of the modern era. Sometimes a players' persona is just as important than tteir .OBP, their confidence as important than their Avg. It's about what you bring to the ballpark, in it's entirety, that counts.

Johnny's comment raises an interesting question. We often hear that heart/persona/intangibles/whatever are important in sports in a way not captured by "stats". Baseball is more susceptible to statistical analysis than most other sports; therefore you could potentially test the proposition that heart/persona/intangibles/whatever actually matter to winning games. The hard part would be measuring "heart" in a way that doesn't actually sneak "stats" through the back door.

Guy

Johnny's comment raises an interesting question. We often hear that heart/persona/intangibles/whatever are important in sports in a way not captured by "stats". Baseball is more susceptible to statistical analysis than most other sports; therefore you could potentially test the proposition that heart/persona/intangibles/whatever actually matter to winning games. The hard part would be measuring "heart" in a way that doesn't actually sneak "stats" through the back door.

Guy

You should see what the FireJoeMorgan blog has to say about Darin Ernstad, a classic "heart" guy who isn't really a very good baseball player.