What has happened to AAJ?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris:

Please don't disparage the trolls of other boards as that's often an excuse for them coming here... to "defend" themselves. :excited:

AAJ was available this morning for my regularly scheduled ninety second visit. Maybe just some board maintenance?

By the way, who's the cutie? Granddaughter perhaps?

Here's an email I got from Mike Ricci:

Dear AAJ Contributor,

Just a quick note to let you know that we are experiencing technical

difficulties with the site. AllAboutJazz.com was offline for several

hours this morning (Monday September 8) and will remain down for at

least the next two days. If you tried to access AAJ during this

period, you may have been left hanging. We're working diligently to

resolve the problem as quickly as possible.

I ask for your patience, and to please hold any new submissions until

you hear from either Nils or myself. There may be some residual file

loss of recent material, but we'll keep you up to date on that

situation as soon as this problem is resolved.

Best,

Mike R.

Don't know what the tech difficulties are, but anyway not trolls.

Simon Weil

I'm not sure I really want to access AAJ all that much anymore. Is it just me, or is it turning into the "kiddie jazz board"? Lately whenever I go there my first thought is "hasn't the new school year started yet?" Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.

In my day...darn kids...bitch...moan...

I'm not sure I really want to access AAJ all that much anymore. Is it just me, or is it turning into the "kiddie jazz board"? Lately whenever I go there my first thought is "hasn't the new school year started yet?" Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.

In my day...darn kids...bitch...moan...

Very unfair. You appear to have forgotten the 'Banish _____' thread over here.

Yes, there are some daft goings on on AAJ.

But AAJ is also better at some things than this Forum. Organissimo has a extremely knowledgeable and intense set of regulars...but can come across like a gentleman's club. A little in-crowdy, dare I say?

AAJ attracts a much wider range of people - largely because the name is likely to hook in those searching on 'Jazz.' It's why it gets more newbies. It's probably why it gets more 'trolls' (quaint term).

I have a wide interest in jazz. If I want to find out about standard American centred jazz then this is the place.

But AAJ attracts more posters interested in jazz from Europe and the UK, areas I'm particularly interested in.

As far as I'm concerned AAJ and Organissimo complement one another. I'm glad they're both here.

But AAJ is also better at some things than this Forum. Organissimo has a extremely knowledgeable and intense set of regulars...but can come across like a gentleman's club. A little in-crowdy, dare I say?

Hi Bev,

I've also heard (read) this said of other boards (NOT AAJ) and to be honest, I've never been able to completely understand its meaning.

I personally think we're (including you -- you're one of us, you know :) ) ( :winky: ?) a friendly bunch. (Not that you're labeling us as unfriendly.)

Are we to act as strangers to one another? Speak only on-topic? Be on-line introverts?

Just curious.

(I wouldn't otherwise disagree with your post.)

Bev, I understand and agree with your "gentleman's club" criticism of this board, but I don't see how that invalidates my criticism of AAJ. Certainly, any internet board is going to have quirks, particularly when it's devoted to an obscure (by popular-to-the-masses scale) interest such as jazz. I can see oddities with this board, AAJ, and JazzCorner; it's just that this particular thread was about AAJ...

I agree with you, Bev. I'm lurking at AAJ because of the reasons you mentioned. I'm not posting there much, because I feel most of the Bulletin Board time I can afford is being spent over here already. Actually I'm a bit surprised that the array of members over here, which is basically inherited from the BNBB, includes so few non-Americans. I hope we can keep at least some amount of Euro-jazz related discussion alive over here as well.

Edit: I have no problems with the "in-crowdy" atmosphere over here. My comments were more about the selection of topics (regarding European jazz in particular).

Edited by Daniel A

We message board talkers are an extremely small minority amongst jazz fans anyway. I haven't found a single significant (>10 posts a day) german or french jazz discussion board, although in these countries people do listen to jazz and browse the web.

And on the Blue Note, Organissimo, AAJ or Jazz Center forums, the same 30-40 regulars seem to be responsible for a large part of the activity, and think they are the center of the jazz world :rolleyes:

EDIT: I just got a "Mail Error! Could not send the email. Failed at 'mail' command." message when posting. Who has activated email notification for this topic? :angry::g

Edited by Claude

So spake Bev

"Very unfair. You appear to have forgotten the 'Banish _____' thread over here. "

and I'm glad he did..I am amazed that the banishment poll was allowed to remain on the board.

I understand Dan's reasons for starting it, the banished ones insults were a bit extreme, but the Poll was a cyber version of putting him in the stocks and letting the rest of you throw rocks at him.

The thread should have been closed the moment it was opened.

I'm not wanting to be overcritical about this place. It's excellent, its regulars incredibly knowledgeable, committed, enthusiastic. I've learned so much from the contributors - both here and on the old Blue Note BB.

I'm also not implying the membership is overly American. But the interest in US jazz (which you'll find as much in many Europeans as in Americans) is significantly stronger. Threads on European musicians don't get picked up as strongly as at AAJ.

In amidst the luntaic fringe on AAJ there are some great people who talk with great knowledge of music from Europe. Why Graham Collier himself appeared recently!

I'm not saying Organissimo should be like that...viva diversity...just that its unhelpful to single out the childishness that will inevitably affect something as open as a bulletin board and then describe the entire board as becoming a 'kiddie jazz board.'

Personally, I don't see the lunacy, that does spoil AAJ at times, as representative. When I think of AAJ I think of the disc from a saxophone player from Norway that arrived today or the one by a Belgian violinist currently winging its way to me that I'd have known nothing of without recommendations at AAJ.

AAJ has its committed enthusiasts too!