What has happened to AAJ?

"Dammit, Weizen, my good man, if your GOP brothers would just acquiesce to a lift of that pesky Cuban trade embargo, we could be smoking in style!"

Yes my good fellow, I'm in full agreement with you on this. It's perfectly embarassing having to transfer that fistful of cubans from my european UN pals golfbag into my own while scanning the horizon for nosy interlopers whilst we zig-zag our way across the 16th fairway at full throttle in a heavily camouflaged golf cart. ;):rolleyes:

esc200-b.gif

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with a lot of Bev's take on Organissimo (the in club thing especially - seems pretty open to me) - which is OK, we can agree to disagree, I respect the viewpoint.

But I do agree about the dominance of American jazz issue he raises...that was one of my main points in featuring mostly non-American artists in the first blindfold test. "America-centric" was the way I put it, and I think it extends far beyond this board. The more I explore musicians from other parts of the world, the more I realize how much we're all missing by focusing so much on American artists.

I think it's healthy to get tweaked by folks from other parts of the world on this once in a while, as Bev is doing with his usual fairhandedness and civility.

Bev, I most assuredly agree that this board seems to deal more with the American Jazz scene and lacks in the area of European jazz. I hope that changes some, and that European posters will follow DrJ's lead and give us more insight into that area of jazz. After all, the reason I started reading, posting, etc. on these internet jazz boards was for educational purposes. I hope no one thinks I consider myself an expert on any field of jazz; I'm just the guy that cracks jokes and hopes to pick everyones' brain!

P.D., the bulk of the "Ban Greg" thread consisted of the after effect of the banning, not the banning itself. I agree that it would have been better if another thread had been created for this purpose and the original locked, but this "talking out" had to occur. Online communities always go through this when traumatic occurances shake the community. It takes to long for some peoples tastes to to the online nature of the community, for example not everyone is present at the same time. The same thing happened in the Reissue forum concerning Kevin's deleted threads. If it is this "talking out" exercise that bothers you rather than the title of the thread, I'm afraid you're out of luck. That's just the way online communities function.

Gee, all those jazzers just discovering the BNBB (HA!) and being directed to a temporarily out-of-order AAJ board.

That can't look good.

:huh:

Maybe we should begin again the appeal to BN that they NOW include a link to this FUNCTIONING (but sometimes ailing - but in a charming way :blink: ) board?

;););););)

With all the talk about a "gentlemen's club," no one has asked what to me, a woman, seems like a glaringly obvious question: Where are the women on this board? There seem to be very few, and frankly, y'all seem to like that just fine. It may be that such threads as The Babe Thread--and a "we're all guys" tone in general--tend to make women feel unwelcome here. Again frankly, it seems as if some of you would rather ogle fantasy women than maintain an atmosphere in which you could interact with real women.

With all the talk about a "gentlemen's club," no one has asked what to me, a woman, seems like a glaringly obvious question: Where are the women on this board? There seem to be very few, and frankly, y'all seem to like that just fine. It may be that such threads as The Babe Thread--and a "we're all guys" tone in general--tend to make women feel unwelcome here. Again frankly, it seems as if some of you would rather ogle fantasy women than maintain an atmosphere in which you could interact with real women.

Bluenoter, FWIW I enjoy your posts (at JC) and hope you'll stick around over here despite the testosterone overload.

Noj--Thanks! I may keep doing a little posting and a little lurking here, but for the reasons I mentioned above, I can't consider it "another home." I don't expect things to change, but when I saw the references to a "gentlemen's club," I couldn't resist letting off steam.

Uli--Thanks! I can only repeat the fundamental question: Where are the women on this board?

Edited by bluenoter

My original comment was not intended to slag off this board...merely to point out that all boards have their weaknesses.

Because of the name of this board it probably gets very few chance arrivals. It consequently developed with a very strong sense of identity based around its core contributors.

Now that might well be its strength. Small board, limited contributors, everyone more or less knows one another, civility will (usually) be maintained.

AAJ is much more likely to attract outsiders and can suffer for that. But also tends to be more diverse both in the range of jazz it accommodates and the type of poster.

So here's an interesting question.

What if 'Organissimo' became 'Organissimo Jazz' or some such title where 'jazz' was picked up by google, yahoo etc. Good or bad?*

[My mild 'Gentlemen's Club' jibe will become clearer as answers appear! One of those smiley face things]

*Just a hypothetical question, not a suggestion.

It may be that such threads as The Babe Thread--and a "we're all guys" tone in general--tend to make women feel unwelcome here. Again frankly, it seems as if some of you would rather ogle fantasy women than maintain an atmosphere in which you could interact with real women.

Bluenoter, I couldn't agree with you more. Such things as the "Babe Thread" were an embarrassment to me at the old Blue Note board, and it remains as much here. I see no useful purpose to the thread, and it's not like you can't find naked or partially clothed women on the internet if that's what you want. You'd think by now people would understand the meaning of the terms "hostile environment" and such, but when forced with the idea of giving up their toys, some still just respond with the kneejerk cries of "PC" and refuse to budge.

It may be that such threads as The Babe Thread--and a "we're all guys" tone in general--tend to make women feel unwelcome here. Again frankly, it seems as if some of you would rather ogle fantasy women than maintain an atmosphere in which you could interact with real women.

Bluenoter, I couldn't agree with you more. Such things as the "Babe Thread" were an embarrassment to me at the old Blue Note board, and it remains as much here. I see no useful purpose to the thread, and it's not like you can't find naked or partially clothed women on the internet if that's what you want. You'd think by now people would understand the meaning of the terms "hostile environment" and such, but when forced with the idea of giving up their toys, some still just respond with the kneejerk cries of "PC" and refuse to budge.

Well put, I fully agree.

You (and others) hit me when I posted a girlie picture on the AAJ site and I apologized... and then stopped posting there.

Can I ask why you don't make this complaint of certain (shall we call them) gender-biased but non-pictorial threads over at the JC? Or is it just visual images of women that you find offensive?

Face it, men, errr, react more readilly to the visual. Women generally refuse to either accept or acknowledge that fact.

Whether or not it's proper to post these types of pictires, I'll let each person decide as we obviously are all individuals. (The board owners don't seem to mind.)

Each board is different. Why not allow each board to have its own personality?

Before you joined, we all agreed to give up our shared love for human sacrifice. Isn't that enough?

:D

Thanks, all. The atmosphere I'm talking about is typified by but not confined to The Babe Thread. Honestly, I have no wish to change this board--and the main reason is that I don't think it can be done; too few people seem to have an interest in seeing it done. As I said, I was just letting off steam.

I'm comfortable at JazzCorner, which has always had quite a few active female posters and which recently acquired a bunch of new female posters, including a couple of very young 'uns.

"Oinky" posts at JC are as likely to get challenged by men as by women. However, as some JC posters can tell you, I raise holy hell at JC if no one has beat me to it. :rfr

You (and others) hit me when I posted a girlie picture on the AAJ site and I apologized... and then stopped posting there.

Chaney--I posted there only once or twice, and because of the "welcome" I received, I stopped posting there too.

Edited by bluenoter

I think Jazz needs more women. Not just here, everywhere. One thing to be said about this place, since we've gotten rid of Greg, the testoterone level (esp in the political forum) has noticeably dropped. The gentleman's club, well yes, with the accent on gentle (at least some of the time and hopefully so).

Actually I think this place is rather liable to welcoming to women.

IF they can get past the babe thread...

Simon Weil