Impulse Originals series?

gleaman

Hey,

I just saw that Impulse is starting to re-release some stuff. Looks like October 23 is when this original series comes out.

Duke Ellington & Coleman Hawkins: duke ellington meets coleman hawkins

Gil Evans: out of the cool

Johnny Hartman: I just dropped by to say hello

Quincy Jones: Quintessene

Oliver Nelson: blues and the abstract thruth

Sonny Rollins: on impulse

I can't find any info on them. Bonus tracks? I think they are remastered.

Anybody know?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were any of them out of print in the first place?

I think at least the Quincy Jones (a nice, but ultimately lightweight album) was, but there are a couple of other releases as well. CDUniverse gives October 9 as "street date"; Verve's website has them as "upcoming" on both September 18 and October 9, but a search in the catalog will only come up with the old reissues, or even none at all.

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/buzz.aspx?bid=37

Diana Krall - The Very Best Of Diana Krall - Verve

Billie Holiday - Lady Sings the Blues - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Duke Ellington & Coleman Hawkins - Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Stanley Clarke - Children Are Forever - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella in Hamburg - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Ella Fitzgerald - Live at Mister Kelly's - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Porgy And Bess

Gato Barbieri - Ruby Ruby - Catalog/Reissue - A&M Jazz

George Benson - The Shape of Things to Come - Catalog/Reissue - A&M Jazz

Gil Evans Orchestra - Out Of The Cool - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

Jimmy Smith - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Johnny Hartman - I Just Dropped By To Say Hello - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

Miles Davis - Lift to the Scaffold (Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud) - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Oscar Peterson Trio - Oscar Peterson Trio Plus One - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Quincy Jones - The Quintessence - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

Ramsey Lewis - The 'In' Crowd - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Oliver Nelson - The Blues And The Abstract Truth - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

Sarah Vaughan - Live at Mister Kelly's - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Sonny Rollins - On Impulse! - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

Stan Getz - Getz Au Go-Go (Live) - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Lifeline - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Wes Montgomery - Goin' Out of My Head - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Herbie Hancock - River: The Joni Letters - Verve

Queen Latifah - Trav'lin' Light - Verve

Ella Fitzgerald - Miss Ella's Playhouse - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Lifeline - Catalog/Reissue - GRP

Stanley Clarke - Children Are Forever - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

Duke Ellington and Coleman Hawkins - Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

Gil Evans Orchestra - Out of the Cool - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

Johnny Hartman - I Just Dropped By To Say Hello - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

Quincy Jones - The Quintessence - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

Ramsey Lewis - The 'In' Crowd - Catalog/Reissue - GRP

Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

RAMP - Come Into Knowledge - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Sonny Rollins - On Impulse! - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

John Coltrane - Africa/Brass - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

John Coltrane - Ballads - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

John Coltrane - Coltrane - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

John Coltrane - Live at the Village Vanguard - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

John Coltrane - The Impulse! Albums: Volume One - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

Duke Ellington and John Coltrane - Duke Ellington and John Coltrane - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

Charlie Haden Quartet West - Charlie Haden: The Best of Quartet West - Verve

David Liebman, Roberto Tarenzi, Paolo Bendedettini - Dream of Nite - Verve

Dion - Son of Skip James - Verve Forcast

Steve Tyrell - Back to Bacharach - Verve

Jimmy Smith - Bluesmith - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Lizz Wright - TBD - Verve Forecast

TBD

Bajofondo - Mar Dulce - Verve

Clifford Brown - The Complete EmArcy Master Takes - Box Set - Verve

Michael Brecker - The Very Best Of Michael Brecker - Impluse!

Ella Fitzgerald & Gordon Jenkins - Invite You To Listen And Relax - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Porgy and Bess - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse!

Ella Fitzgerald - Jukebox Ella: The Complete Verve Singles Vol. 2 - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Ella Fitzgerald - Live At Mister Kelly's - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Bill Henderson - With the Oscar Peterson Trio - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Billie Holiday - The Complete Verve Studio Master Takes - Box Set - Verve

Beverly Kenny - Born to Be Blue - Catalog/Reissue - GRP

John Klemmer - The Very Best of John Klemmer - Catalog/Reissue - GRP

Charlie Parker - The Complete Verve Master Takes - Box Set - Verve

Mel Torme - Mel Torme Swings Shubert Alley - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Various Artists - Beatles Song Book Compilation - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Various Artists - Top Ten Tracks: Jazz - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Various Artists - Top Ten Tracks: Smooth Jazz - Catalog/Reissue - GRP

Dinah Washinton - Dinah! - Catalog/Reissue - Verve

Zucchero - The Best of Zucchero - Verve

TBD

Clifford Brown - The Complete EmArcy Master Takes - Box Set - Verve

I wish they'd reissue the whole thing, rather than just the master takes... the music on this is just too damn good to cut any of it out (well... OK, a couple of tunes could be cut without any huge loss, but the rest is gold).

Cheers,

Shane

I'd like to see the Sam Rivers 'Trio live' to be reissued

And one I've always been fond of, Impressions of New York by Rolf & Joachim Kuhn.

and the Marion Brown titles on Impulse! and the John Klemmer titles on Impulse! and Ahmad Jamal 'Outertimeinnerspace" (never understood why that wasn't added to 'Freeflight' as bonus cuts, since they were recorded at the same concert) and Curtis Fuller - Cabin in the Sky and Elvin Jones - Dear John C. and the Gabor Szabo and Chico Hamilton titles that have never been released domestically. So much of the same thing over and over again. This will be their third domestic CD release of many of these titles, while other deserving titles have never been released domestically on CD, and some haven't even been released in Japan on CD.

So UMG has given in to the stupid re-packagaging they've started over here a year or so ago... these "XXX Originals" have replaced the LPRs and other series over here, quite a while ago. Seems by now it's not much more that's left than just this and one more new series (I've started threads about both or at least mentioned both several times when they were new over here). Smart strategy, I must say! :tdown

As for Sam Rivers, I guess "Trio Live" is in the collections of most who'd ever buy it anyway... they could rather reissue some other Rivers stuff, such as the live one from Montreux (Streams, Stream, Steam? Something like that). And yes, of course, more Marion Brown, or the Ornettes (I know I know, he doesn't want them to be released... but still if we're dreaming anyway, let me dream this dream).

nothing remastered, by the way - and crappy print quality as far as booklets go. also there has been that discussion that led me to believe the euro version of the Lateef LPR/Original (Psychicemotus) was different (less good) from the US version... that much for "(suspisciously) friendly" - misguiding rather if this is indeed one of their slaves...

Hey,

I thought that too, MG! who the fuck makes their first post about bullshit 10th generation re-re-re-re-re-re-issues like this? Coltrane Ballades is back? No way! (Mazurkas next.)

Show yourself, "Gleaman"; the only semi-slick trick s/he pulled was the (fake?) question about bonus tracks?

As for the Lilith label Bluesmith & their other releases... come the fuck on; how many of ya'll believe that?

Granted, it's possible someone with very eclectic, generally very good taste in rare records set up office in RUSSIA & is licensing records nobody else in the world was ever able to legitimately get on cd before but... I ain't complaining, as it's good to have the Tommy Flanders side out again for those who missed it on Verve Forecast the real story is surely more interesting than the one that's going around, yes?

elder don clementine, the original

You gotta list of the Lilith issues, Clem? The only one I've got is the Jimmy Smith with "Bluesmith" and "Livin' it up". And how do you know the label's called "Lilith"? There's no trademark of any kind on mine mentioning any label - just a bunch of Russian at the bottom of the back. Perhaps you know the owner's a Lord Dunsany fan.

MG

OMG are you guys ever paranoid.

GLeaman (his real first initial and last name) is a young gentleman in his mid-20's who happens to work at a record store in small town Cobourg, Ontario, Canada named ZAP Records. How do I know this you ask? Well he also works as the delivery driver at the office supply store that I manage.

I guess you could say that he's about as far away from being a Universal executive as one could get. I mean he still hasn't paid his baseball pool entry fee so I know he's not making the big bucks.

The reason he was asking about reissues is because some of us "young-ins" who already own everything Coltrane, Miles, Andrew Hill, Grant Green etc..... are occasionally curious about what is included on these new reissues. Truth be told we're usually disappointed to see the same stuff released again and again.

But when you own all the Blue Note RVG's, the Concord RVG's, the Blue Note Connoisseurs etc .... you like to know what else is coming out in the near future. Now does that sound sinister to you guys ???

Nice to see a new young person who enjoys jazz, join the forum and have people jump down his throat. Classy bunch.

I'm kinda thrilled about the Brownie master takes box, myself... I have the Complete box, but all of the master takes remastered (some for the first time since the 80s!) sounds like a swell idea.

That one is the winner for me too. I'll buy it and replace all of the individual Brown/Roach CD's. Some of the other stuff I don't have on CD at all.

I'm kinda thrilled about the Brownie master takes box, myself... I have the Complete box, but all of the master takes remastered (some for the first time since the 80s!) sounds like a swell idea.

That one is the winner for me too. I'll buy it and replace all of the individual Brown/Roach CD's. Some of the other stuff I don't have on CD at all.

Same here! I don't have much Brownie to begin with, so this will be a treat!

Jimmy Smith - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

So what's the verdict on this? It looks like one of the more interesting re-issues. I don't think this has been out before. 3 of the tracks are on the Nelson Mosiac, but that's it, AFAIK.

IIRC, it was out as a Verve By Request CD some years back.

Edited by Big Al