Concord vs. Lone Hill Jazz

mikeweil

Donald Byrd and Kenny Burrell did two all star dates for Prestige on December 28, 1956 (All Night Long) and January 4, 1957 (All Day Long). Both of these dates yielded more material than could be issued on a LP back then, but those additional tracks were subsequently issued on compilations and included as bonus tracks on the Original Jazz Classics CDs.

OJCCD-456-2.jpgOJCCD-427-2.jpg

According to the Concord website they are still available.

But still, Concord reissues this twofer LP which includes the two LPs straight without the bonus tracks (which won't fit on this one CD):

PRCD-24025.jpg

I'm afraid they even used the old twofer LP mastertape ....

To top this, there's a new Lone Hill Jazz reissue, a two CD set which contains both albums including the bonus material

c4856.jpg

and adds a complete third session, the Kenny Burrell - Jimmy Raney Two Guitars album (which is available as a separate OJC CD):

OJCCD-216-2.jpg

Now tell me what to buy .....

Donald Byrd and Kenny Burrell did two all star dates for Prestige on December 28, 1956 (All Night Long) and January 4, 1957 (All Day Long). Both of these dates yielded more material than could be issued on a LP back then, but those additional tracks were subsequently issued on compilations and included as bonus tracks on the Original Jazz Classics CDs.

OJCCD-456-2.jpgOJCCD-427-2.jpg

According to the Concord website they are still available.

But still, Concord reissues this twofer LP which includes the two LPs straight without the bonus tracks (which won't fit on this one CD):

PRCD-24025.jpg

I'm afraid they even used the old twofer LP mastertape ....

To top this, there's a new Lone Hill Jazz reissue, a two CD set which contains both albums including the bonus material

c4856.jpg

and adds a complete third session, the Kenny Burrell - Jimmy Raney Two Guitars album (which is available as a separate OJC CD):

OJCCD-216-2.jpg

Now tell me what to buy .....

I think you'll want the 2 Guitars album, so that means either this new Lone Hill issue or ideally the three OJCs. They aren't particularly rare (or they weren't).

Well, the irony is that Concord on one side deletes a large number of rare CDs, and on the other side releases material that's still available in more complete form, while one of our Spanish friends shows them how to do it ...

It's a crazy reissue world!

I only have the All Night Long OJC CD, so the question could be that I fare cheaper when buying the Lone Hill and selling my OJC - in this case I support a notorious bootlegger.

But I'm not in the mood to support Concord's with its uninformed policy of deleting and reissuing either .....

In this particular case, Lonehill is doing what Concord fails to do. And that is within the legal limits of the EU regulations.

I won't purchase that Lonehill because I already have all the material but if I did not, I would have no problem getting the Lonehill.

... because I only play the two title tracks. All the other stuff sounds too much like jazz :)

:g

... and I always waited for the singer to come in ...

Ahhh! You should hear Gloria Lynne's version of "All day long".

7015.jpg

(I think she's singing a lot better nowadays than when she was in her "prime".)

MG

Don't forget the thematically related All Mornin' Long

64812.jpg

I have the OJCs of "Day" and "Night" and am happy with them. Now it looks like I have to track down 2 Guitars...

I got 2 Guitars quite recently and have enjoyed it. There were still a number on Amazon marketplace at a reasonable price. It is pretty interesting watching which OJCs skyrocket in price (over $20) and which stay stable (around $8-10). If the price goes too high, then I download it from eMusic, since most of the material is (still) there.

Eric

Mike, I think the 2 guitars and Day may both have been in the recent reissues done by Universal over here in Europe. I got both of them in a sale half a year or so ago. Both fine albums, by the way. The Night album I got in the zweitausendeins.de ZYX-sale, so I didn't fare too badly. But if you find the Lonehill for a good prize (I guess that would be all that's less than 20 euro, roughly) and can earn a couple of cents by selling the Night, why not go that route. I guess it's by now too late to think too much about ethical questions as far as the big labels go, and Concord is screwing up too much indeed, so... if you still feel bad, support some small labels in return, their future despite the demise of the CD market may still be brighter than the majors', even more so if people actually buy their stuff! And if the Spanish/Andorran labels take care of the music the majors don't care for any longer, all the better for us, in the end! (Though I'd have loved to keep buying OJCs from Fantasy for years to come, of course, but Concord...)

I wasn't even aware that existed! Looks interesting!

Kenny Burrell - Barry Galbraith Quartet

Kenny Burrell, Barry Galbraith (g) Leonard Gaskin (b) Bobby Donaldson (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, NJ, May 10, 1957

1246 Billie's Bounce Status ST 8318; Prestige PR 7448

1247 Prelude To A Kiss -

1248 It Don't Mean A Thing -

1249 unknown title Prestige rejected

* Various Artists - Guitar Soul (Status ST 8318)

* The Best Of Kenny Burrell (Prestige PR 7448)

Not only interesting but also excellent and obviously worthy of a reissue.

That 'Guitar Soul' Status vinyl has those three Burrell/Galbraith tracks, plus one track showcasing the talent of Bill Jennings (with Jack McDuff, Wendell Marshall and Bobby Donaldson) on side one and two tracks on side B by the Tiny Grimes ensemble with J.C. Higginbotham and Eddie Davis that left out of the 'Callin' the Blues' vinyl on Swingville/Prestige.

Actually, the album that best fits together with those All Day, All Night...sessions is this one.

c4199761h15.jpg

I have a compilation CD I made called "24 Blue Hours" with the following tracks.

1. All Morning Long

2. All Day Long

3. All Night Long

4. Empty Street (from After Hours)