Jimmy Smith playing with his chin

blind-blake

Is there something wrong with showmanship?

MG

If the player is more interested in doing gimmicks than actually creating artistic content, yes. But some showmanship to keep everyone entertained is well appreciated and makes fore a more memorable evening.

Don't think we currently have much of a problem of having too many players guilty of offering too much showmanship ?

I once saw Don Patterson use his tongue on the B-3 keyboard, "humorously" simulating cunnilingus. Showmanship.

I am not so sure about that...could be half technique...

wait, what was the question...

:lol:

I once saw Jim A pick up Randy (his drummer) and drag him across the keys...that was awesome! Nice percussive technique...

(I should sleep more)

There is that old gimmick from organ players: to create tension and excitement on live gigs by holding the same note for an extended number of bars. I've heard it on several recordings and the crowd usually loves it. Personally I think it's boring, but I'm curious to now if it's generally conisdered to be showmanship to some degree. :)

There is that old gimmick from organ players: to create tension and excitement on live gigs by holding the same note for an extended number of bars. I've heard it on several recordings and the crowd usually loves it. Personally I think it's boring, but I'm curious to now if it's generally conisdered to be showmanship to some degree. :)

If it creates tension and excitement, what more do we need to know?

If a comedian makes the audience laugh, do we ask how much is showmanship/delivery and how much the inherent wit of what he says?

MG

Well, it's not very hard to do, that's for sure. And audiences do seem to like it (because it's an easy way to create tension as mentioned). I would consider it part of showmanship. When I hear it done on a live recording I can excuse it, but on a studio record it's a bit cliche.

I once saw Don Patterson use his tongue on the B-3 keyboard, "humorously" simulating cunnilingus. Showmanship.

... and what did it sound like that was coming out of the Leslie?

It sounded like perfectly normal, single-note stuff. It was the visual part -- the mock (I hope) slurping and the actual twirling and wiggling of the tongue -- that was the show. Sorry if I've ruined your breakfast.

there used to be this idiot saxophone player In New Haven who couldn't play his way out of a paper bag but who was able to do the circular breathing thing and hold a note for about 3 minutes, or something like that - the crowd loved it. I used to follow him at jam sessions by playing a lot of quick, short notes, holding nothing for more than a split second, but nobody got the joke except me and the bass player - the crowd probably thought I had emphysema -

Showmanship = physicality = just another means of expression = communication

Of course, it'll vary widely based on the quality of both performer and audience (such is symbiosis, when it exists), but the point is that "regular" audiences (i'e. - people who don't participate in music as a purely "academic" exercise of pure intellectuality and/or theoretical analysis) are more than capable of receiveing messages from visual as well as from aural stimuli.

A performing artist ignores this at his/her peril unless he/she is lucky enough to only perform for people who thorugh either natural inclination or behavioral modification are only capable of processing musical information through their ears. But otherwise, if the object is to communicate, then by all means, communicate by all means.

In other words, sometime the "showmanship" is actually a part - to one degree or another - of the music, and looking at it as something "apart" is a mistake.

Sometimes.