Complete Jack Johnson Sessions?

Tjazz

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dave9199 Posted: Oct 18 2003, 08:16 AM   

How can you have alternate takes with farts? They're all good! Did he put them through the wah-wah?      (one for each JJ disc) 

Dude, you beat me to the wah-wah joke...so here's another: it's not that I wouldn't generally buy any Miles Davis recording, including one that featured him farting, but from what I hear his fart-chops were in very poor condition on these recordings, it was an era full of "personal problems"

I have really been on the fence on this one (the real album, not the farting one). I love electric Miles and I love McLaughlin on the Cellar Door stuff. But I have seen the word "boring" associated with the new set often enough that it is cause for pause.

Now that this thing has been out a few weeks (an eternity in our little world), does anyone have any second takes on the set?

Eric

Morganized-that would be 24-BUTT & yes it would be protectively sealed. I'd be the first scratch & sniff cd! As it spins round real fast, it fills the room with the scent of...well, you know. How long before this product becomes a reality? I OWN THE COPYRIGHT YOU WEASELS!!!!

DrJ-do you think his farts sound like his voice: scratchy & quiet? Maybe he hurt that the same day he ruined his voice.

I don't know about anyone else, but I never expected a topic to turn into this. :huh::unsure::w:blink::wacko:

Eric, the only material I really could do without on this set are the "Hang on Sloopy" based jams. . . not necessary, not going to get a lot of play.

I really like the Hermeto Pascaol sessions, the complete versions of Honky Tonk, the progression of Willie Nelson, the Duran and Konda, etc. and especially the Go Ahead John tracks, and The Mask takes, which were exciting to hear for the first time---The Mask is a studio workout of my favorite parts of Thursday Miles from the At Fillmore release.

I think you'll really dig it. The remastering of the J J album itself is awesome, and listening to it this morning I was more and more impressed at how 'pugilistic' this music is: Miles the boxer has chosen very appropriate music for a film about a boxer. . . . I've never seen the film, but "Right Off" has a perfect Ali-dancing like vibe and groove with stabbing guitar and trumpet . . . it's easy to imagine this as music in a boxing ring!

. . . I've never seen the film

Nor have I. Come to think of it, I don't know anybody who has, except for the cat who reviewed the album for down beat, and I never really "knew" him, doncha' know.

In order to be TRULY complete, they could have included a DVD of the movie.

I really like the Hermeto Pascaol sessions,

I m particularly looking forward to these tracks , I've often played the 'live - evil' tracks on their own .

I would be nice to hear this box eventually - release date in the UK is tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Well, Hermeto is an acquired taste, and a master of many instruments and musical styles. . . I've always liked these tracks since before I had any idea who Hermeto was; now after many years of listening to him I still like these, and enjoy the pastoral feel of the compositions; they serve a good function on Live/Evil as breaks and "palate cleansers" so to speak, and I like them alone, they have a mood that I enjoy traveling into.

Those Hermeto tunes are gorgeous. Both as pure compositions and specific performances. Hermeto's one of those guys who takes totally incongruous harmonies and makes them work, gives them a logic. I love stuff like that because the simultaneous shock of the incongruity and the subliminal comfort of the logic is a real rush, like finding a way to violate a law of nature and have it not backfiring on you. I can definitely see why Miles did them.

I duly and dutifully bought the Jack Johnson LP when it first came out, and I hated it. This, plus listening, dutifully again, to the extra tracks in the Bitches' Brew 4 CD set, sure puts me off getting this new set. Basically, I only enjoy the B.B. tracks that were on the original two LPs, and even then I don't play them much.

Now, the 3 CD "Silent Way" box is another thing again. I love that, the highlight being the shattering uncut version of "Shh, Peaceful", which was a shock to hear after knowing the cleverly edited LP version for 30 years. I am amazed at what Teo did with the raw material. It was basically a re-composition, and the results are outstanding. Who, in 1969, could have realized what had been done?

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got my set the other day.

I like the Jack Johnson album, but I didn't know if I'd like the box set. I was worried about the multiple versions, but I was very surprised by how interesting the different versions were and I was surprised at how much I dug some of the unreleased tracks (especially Ali).

I've listened to this set over and over. It just keeps getting more interesting.

:wub:

I finally got my set the other day.

I like the Jack Johnson album, but I didn't know if I'd like the box set. I was worried about the multiple versions, but I was very surprised by how interesting the different versions were and I was surprised at how much I dug some of the unreleased tracks (especially Ali).

I've listened to this set over and over. It just keeps getting more interesting.

:wub:

I happened to be listening to the box (disc 2) as I read your post, and I agree. I like this box more and more each time I listen to it. The multiple takes are very interesting. McLaughlin is ripping on Duran!!

That's great, Greg!

It really is a great set. I've purchased all the other Miles' sets, but I just couldn't justify the purchase (especially with so many alternate takes). But I finally rounded up the funds and gave in. :D

I find I'm enjoying the alternate takes and their progressions, the same way that I enjoy the alternates on the Sam Rivers Mosaic set. What I'm saying is that I find enough variation and new ideas to remain interested.

That McLaughlin is a mo-fo! :D

In terms of previously unreleased material that really matters, I have to give the new Jack Johnson box some REALLY high marks. I'm totally diggin' it, and I think I like it every bit as much as my other two favorite Miles boxes: "1965-68" and "Miles & Gil".

The sad thing, however, is that this is probably the last major release of any previously-unreleased studio material from Miles. I don't think Columbia is planning any kind of box for the studio material after the Jack Johnson box. I know I've read this a couple times before, even from some fairly good sources.

The "Seven Steps To Berlin" box will be OK, but I'm sure it can't possibly haven anything even 1/4 as interesting as most of the Jack Johnson set (at least for me, anyway).

The "Seven Steps To Berlin" box will be OK, but I'm sure it can't possibly haven anything even 1/4 as interesting as most of the Jack Johnson set (at least for me, anyway).

I may have to disagree with you, my friend. Have you heard this material?

It's some amazing stuff- I think a lot of the the pre-Wayne Miles recordings get overlooked and underrated. I personally am a fan of George Coleman, plus you've got some very interesting Sam Rivers here, too. I do think the quintet really came into its own w/Wayne, but don't sell this one short. Some of the most amazing rhythm section work you'll EVER hear. Maybe not the most radical or innovative period, but one worth checking out without a doubt. Tony is amazing. Herbie is amazing. Ron Carter is a rock. Excellent music. :tup:tup

Edited by Free For All

Those Hermeto tunes are gorgeous. Both as pure compositions and specific performances. Hermeto's one of those guys who takes totally incongruous harmonies and makes them work, gives them a logic. I love stuff like that because the simultaneous shock of the incongruity and the subliminal comfort of the logic is a real rush, like finding a way to violate a law of nature and have it not backfiring on you. I can definitely see why Miles did them.

Me too!

Me likey Hermeto! Me likey JimS talk good!

Have you heard "Brazilian Adventure" on the Muse label? Some interesting music. He (to me) had a kind of left-of-center Gil Evans mentality.

Is that Muse side the one that first came out on Cobblestone? If it is, I USED to have it, but don't know if I still do. I remember liking it pretty good, but the record being a really, REALLY, noisy pressing, so I might have ditched it in one of those "to good to refuse" type trades back in the day.

I'd look for my stuff for it, but FUCK THAT!!! :g:g:g

I have the Muse, a Cobblestone reissue, very clean and quiet vinyl, very interesting session with a HUGE band. . . . It's just called "Hermeto" as far as I can tell. What's interesting is it starts out WHACK and gradually becomes more traditionally bossa novaesque as it winds to a conclusion, which is an interesting reversal of how I normally find lps of this time, moving from a traditional beginning to a whacky ending! Dusty Groove has this one.

I'm a big Pascoal fan. . . I'm going to have to find more of his releases. Lately I'm grooving to an Aleuda cd called Oferenda that he music-directed and generally was all over. . .

aleudafeatu_oferenda~_101b.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

I may have to disagree with you, my friend. Have you heard this material?

It's some amazing stuff- I think a lot of the the pre-Wayne Miles recordings get overlooked and underrated. I personally am a fan of George Coleman, plus you've got some very interesting Sam Rivers here, too. I do think the quintet really came into its own w/Wayne, but don't sell this one short. Some of the most amazing rhythm section work you'll EVER hear. Maybe not the most radical or innovative period, but one worth checking out without a doubt. Tony is amazing. Herbie is amazing. Ron Carter is a rock. Excellent music. :tup:tup

Absolutely agree!

Love the My Funny Valentine/Four & More concert and the Antibes set!

Will Miles in Berlin be included in that box, too? Should be, no? That's a beautiful SOUNDING album! You get the idea you could hear a feather falling to the floor on that one! (I've got it on a japanese Sony or CBS or whatever CD, sounds marvellous).

And I never ever heard the Rivers album (and as I might not be the only one who needs this *problem* fixed, the set might hold at least one surprise...)

ubu