• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered a bunch of stuff last night

Nat Adderley - Much brass

Nat Adderley - Little big horn

Junior Mance - Happy time

Gene Harris - Trio + 1 (Stanley Turrentine) and thanks to Dan Gould who tipped me off about this one!

Jim Robinson - New Orleans, the living legends

Jim Robinson - Plays spirituals and blues

Little Brother Montgomery - Chicago, the living legends

Elmer Snowden - Harlem banjo (and a big thanks to ChrisA for his advice on those!)

Johnny "Hammond" Smith - Gears

Red Garland - Red's good groove (how could I have missed an album with a title like that?)

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - Afro-Jaws

$27 postage costs isn't bad for 11 CDs - it's even slightly less than I'd pay per CD for UK postage from Amazon.co.uk.

Now I have to see if Customs pick it up. Not optimistic :(

MG

Well, the order came today - by FedEx, as I wanted, even though I had only been charged USPS rate. And Customs didn't stop it. So that's a real nice Christmas present to myself.

MG

I placed a second order yesterday morning and by the afternoon had an email confirming shipment. I suppose this in and of itself is a sad commentary on the state of the CD business, even during the two weeks preceding Christmas.

Seems to be. My friend is in the book business (in Britain, but it's probably not so different in US). He was complaining last evening that he's been rushed off his feet.

It seems only a few years ago that people were complaining that people weren't reading...

But, over here anyway, retailers of all sorts are already complaining that they're having a lousy Christmas. I don't believe them all that much. Plenty of people on the street, I think. But perhaps they're not buying. I read a few days ago that there's a big percentage of Britons who are still paying off their credit card debts from LAST Christmas.

MG

Ordered another batch yesterday - received confirmation that it shipped complete today. Picked up the following discs which I believe are not long for this world...

Lennie Niehaus - The Octets

Lennie Niehaus - Vol. 4: The Quintets & Strings

Lennie Niehaus - Zounds!

Lennie Niehaus - Vol. 5: The Sextet

Don Friedman - Metamorphosis

Don Friedman - Circle Waltz

Don Friedman - A Day In The City

Jimmy Heath - The Quota

Jimmy Heath - Triple Threat

John Wright Trio - South Side Soul

I've got two boxes on the way from Terre Haute--hoping they'll be sitting on the porch when I get home tonight. According to the e-mails, everything I ordered was included. :excited: Great to have a second shot at a # of titles that I thought had gone into Amazon Marketplace Insanity Land.

So...

Tell us what ya got, Ghost!

I've been surprised at some of the titles that are still available. Makes me wonder... Have they been available all along, or did they recently find a 'secret stash' in the back corner of the warehouse? Hmmm...

Either way, now's the time to get 'em...

I've got two boxes on the way from Terre Haute--hoping they'll be sitting on the porch when I get home tonight. According to the e-mails, everything I ordered was included. :excited: Great to have a second shot at a # of titles that I thought had gone into Amazon Marketplace Insanity Land.

Terre Haute? Are you sure? My shipments come from Ohio.

As I posted elsewhere, I called them and they confirmed that they did find a secret stash.

Bertrand.

If it's a secret stash, then the matter becomes rather more urgent. The sale ends 31 January. I had better put together another couple of orders for early and late January. Phew!!!!

MG

Gene Harris - Trio + 1 (Stanley Turrentine) and thanks to Dan Gould who tipped me off about this one!

Elmer Snowden - Harlem banjo (and a big thanks to ChrisA for his advice on those!)

Red Garland - Red's good groove (how could I have missed an album with a title like that?)

$27 postage costs isn't bad for 11 CDs - it's even slightly less than I'd pay per CD for UK postage from Amazon.co.uk.

MG

Well, the order came today - by FedEx, as I wanted, even though I had only been charged USPS rate. And Customs didn't stop it. So that's a real nice Christmas present to myself.

MG

That's cool! My own 200$ order came by FedEx and passed customrs unnoticed as well, even though the cardboard box could house half a corpse... :ph34r:

I placed a second order yesterday morning and by the afternoon had an email confirming shipment. I suppose this in and of itself is a sad commentary on the state of the CD business, even during the two weeks preceding Christmas.

Hm, they didn't send me an email at all, just the automated reply... but then I started wonding, four or five days after ordering, some FedEx chap delivered the package already...

MG

MG

That's cool! My own 200$ order came by FedEx and passed customrs unnoticed as well, even though the cardboard box could house half a corpse... :ph34r:

I wouldn't bet on it not having been noticed by customs. Back in May I got both of the Miles Mosaic Vinyl sets which were going OOP. Package arrived without delay or any incriminating marks to indicate that HM customs had been grooving to IASW.

What da ya know when in October ( five months later) I get an invoice from DHL for £15 for custom charges. Even more bizarrely the VAT was calculated against the declared value of the LPs (£35) plus shipping costs. As this later cost wasn't marked on the box they guessed £37 postage. For obvious reasons I didn't bother to complain, as I'd have to dig out the invoice to reveal the true shipping costs of £15 and in the process reveal the cost of the LPs...............................

So wait till April then you breath......

Terre Haute? Are you sure? My shipments come from Ohio.

They were checked through Ohio and then sent to the FedEx facility in Terre Haute, so yeah, same central points of departure. The boxes were indeed there when I got home last night... only had a chance to listen to MAL-4 so far, but :tup , and happy/relieved to fill in a few more holes in the OJC library:

Pepper Adams, Encounter!

Teddy Edwards, It's All Right!

Art Farmer, The Art Farmer Septet

Johnny Griffin, Change Of Pace

Johnny Griffin, The Kerry Dancers

Johnny Griffin, Way Out!

Johnny Griffin, Johnny Griffin Sextet

Barry Harris, Luminescence!

Jimmy Heath, The Quota

Jimmy Heath, Triple Threat

Thad Jones, After Hours

Harold Mabern, Wailin'

Harold Mabern, A Few Miles From Memphis

Shelly Manne, Vol. 1: The West Coast Sound

Charles McPherson, Con Alma!

Charles McPherson, Horizons

Charles McPherson, McPherson's Mood

Lennie Niehaus, Lennie Niehaus Vol.1: The Quintets

Lennie Niehaus, Vol. 5: The Sextet

Jerome Richardson, Midnight Oil

Jerome Richardson, Roamin' With Richardson

Mal Waldron, Mal/4

Mal Waldron, Mal/3 - Sounds

Cedar Walton, Plays Cedar Walton

John Wright, South Side Soul

The sale continues to January 31? Yikes!!! I haven't gone through my most recent order and here I'm thinking of placing at least 2 more orders. Somebody stop me! :crazy:

Stop! Look, listen to your heart and what it's saying...

Enjoy, Tom! (But don't buy any Stylistics albums.)

MG