Moderators

Aggie87

I also hate to see you go but one thing I'm still curious about....why do we only know you as Brownie. I guess that's not your real name (is it?).

No, his real name is Clifford Brown, yeah, that one. I and the others members who met him personally can testify it. He explained us that he was actually bored about how the jazz was going at times, so he decided to arrange a fake incident and retire in Paris where he pursued the research of the Perfect Music. From his latest decision I guess he didn't find it, yet.

Good Luck, Glifford! :)

Sure, but the guy still can PLAY the trumpet!

Regards,

Duke Ellington at his 108 (member formerly known as EKE BBB)

:g

Yeah, he play better then never.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, I'm pretty sure Chris was joking.

That's the point! It was a harmless joke--but one that lots of women wouldn't find funny at all. So it intersects the point that had been made (be careful with casual comments because you might be pressing someone's button) and the question that had been asked (wonder why more women don't hang around here).

And Chris, I'm not saying you're a despicable misogynist driving women away from Organissimo. Rachel, for example, took it as a joke and replied in kind. But that's just it--anybody can toss off a joke or a little bit of sarcasm without bad intent, you or me or anyone, and it's no big deal for most people, but there might be collateral damage.

Maybe I'm being too earnest.

Yep, but what I think is that if someone is offend unintenionally by someone else's comment, he/she should be able to reply and explain, maybe via PM if the thing is too personal for a public answer, without leaving with disdain. They call it "communication".

That's the point! It was a harmless joke--but one that lots of women wouldn't find funny at all. So it intersects the point that had been made (be careful with casual comments because you might be pressing someone's button) and the question that had been asked (wonder why more women don't hang around here).

And Chris, I'm not saying you're a despicable misogynist driving women away from Organissimo. Rachel, for example, took it as a joke and replied in kind. But that's just it--anybody can toss off a joke or a little bit of sarcasm without bad intent, you or me or anyone, and it's no big deal for most people, but there might be collateral damage.

Yep, but what I think is that if someone is offend unintenionally by someone else's comment, he/she should be able to reply and explain, maybe via PM if the thing is too personal for a public answer, without leaving with disdain. They call it "communication".

Right. That happened to me and a PM put me back on the right track.

MG

I also hate to see you go but one thing I'm still curious about....why do we only know you as Brownie. I guess that's not your real name (is it?).

As most of the people here know by now, my name is Guy Kopelowicz.

When I joined the BNBB back in early 2002, it was the first forum I enlisted in. When asked for a name I could not put in my real name since I had a rather highprofile job in a newsagency and could not register under my own name. So I took the first name that flashed through my mind. It was brownie - could have been fruscella, ayler, canto (for eric cantona) or any other favorites. Clifford Brown was (and still remains) one of my heroes.

The name brownie stuck and I never gave second thought to modifying it.

Question is: what does the bluerein name stands for?

Maybe we don't need any moderators. But I think everyone has a big responibility for what they are posting; you make it sound a bit as if someone posting offensive posts is not doing anything wrong if he didn't believe anyone would be offended. Communication is good, much can be solved with a few PMs, I know that, but at the same time there has to be some basic respect for other people and their opinions. Some posters are sometimes testing the limits, and I'm not sure it should always be the responsibility of the offended people to bring it up.

Maybe we don't need any moderators. But I think everyone has a big responibility for what they are posting; you make it sound a bit as if someone posting offensive posts is not doing anything wrong if he didn't believe anyone would be offended. Communication is good, much can be solved with a few PMs, I know that, but at the same time there has to be some basic respect for other people and their opinions. Some posters are sometimes testing the limits, and I'm not sure it should always be the responsibility of the offended people to bring it up.

I am not sure I would like a "sanitized" forum, maybe because I am one of "bad guys". :ph34r:

An episode to explain what I mean.

In the WC thread, after Italy won the Championship I erupted in some heavy insulting posts toward other members. One the reason was that, as you probably know, italians suffered racism when they emigrated in U.S. and North Europe, including some of my parents. The fact is that I took the general disdain for my national team as personal, because of that. It touched my hidden nerve, reminded me the story I heard about from my emigrated relatives, all the common insults as mafiosi, thief, lazy, ecc..

The more I was happy for the victory and I expected the congrats from other members that obviously were pissed off because their teams lost.

Plus add the "Zidane affair" in the recipe.

Zidane lost his temper, he was a great and a professional player who played for years in italian league, he wasn't a child. I have a good friend who played for a while as pro football player: provoking the adversary is pretty normal in order to making him losing concentration or temper, like it's pretty normal exaggerating fouls inside the goal area looking for penalty kicks. Bad habits, I admit, but it goes like that everywhere, for every teams, not only in Italy, look at Cristiano Ronaldo.

Instead of blaming Zidane, some people excused him for being "provoked". And I exploded. Actually I acted in the forum like Zidane on the playground: losing temper.

Obviously blaming italian players didn't imply blaming me personally, but as you see in this case, it's pretty difficult to discuss anything with "respect".

Anyway I wouldn't like CCs (Cleaned Clem or Cleaned Catesta or Cleaned Chris or Cleaned Chuck), this place would became pretty boring. :)

I'll be lurking in from time to time and jump into the pool whenever there is a good reason for it :D

Brownie, I hope you'll be able to see your way clear to a stateside trip. I'm sure you still have connections in New York, and there's always a place in Philadelphia if you wish!

Cheers,

Peter

Make that TWO places in Philly! :)

Porcy, I know that there are things which might make anyone lose their temper, and sometimes unexpectedly so. But I would not say that just a bit more respect is the same as a "sanitized" forum.

Clementine, I will not list recent examples of "negative" threads, because it will not prove anything. It's just a general feel I'm sharing with some others.

muting too much, or any, expression in the name of "civility" will drain this site waaaaaaaaaaaay faster than the defection of a few.

Muting too much expression, well, surely nobody would like too much of anything. But that any change in this way would "drain this site wa/../y faster than the defection of a few" is a view I'm not sharing. It's about what kind of forums you want to have. This way we're losing "civil" posters. The other way we might lose those who want to be able to post in any mode or tone they like.

Obviously I was only joking around.

There seemed to be no better time and opening for a BS line like that so I went with it.

Tom Storer I know what you're saying, but I was just kind of testing the waters. Under different circumstances I would probably have used this ;) smilie.

Rachel recognized the funny and responded accordingly.

No doubt she has been paying attention to the "what's for dinner" thread and knows I'm doing most if not all of the cooking at my place. As a trade off though, my lady does indeed iron my shirts. Fair is fair. :)

Allen, I very much resent any comparison with Franco :excited:

Which reminds me that I was driving out of Spain in 1975 near the end of holidays in that beautiful country when I heard over the radio that the General was dying.

Checked with my head office and was ordered to proceed at once to Madrid where Franco's death was expected any minute.

It did not take minutes or months but several weeks.

After three weeks of a boring assignment, I was told to head back to Paris and wait for the actual death.

It finally occured on November 20, 1975. I managed to board an early flight to Madrid and arrive there just in time to transmit the first official images to the world of Franco lying in state.

cr4-1.jpg

And I'm not planning to do a Franco.

A few more days to go...

Enjoy while it lasts :P

As most of the people here know by now, my name is Guy Kopelowicz.

When I joined the BNBB back in early 2002, it was the first forum I enlisted in. When asked for a name I could not put in my real name since I had a rather highprofile job in a newsagency and could not register under my own name. So I took the first name that flashed through my mind. It was brownie - could have been fruscella, ayler, canto (for eric cantona) or any other favorites. Clifford Brown was (and still remains) one of my heroes.

The name brownie stuck and I never gave second thought to modifying it.

Seriously, I always thought you "named" yourself after the camera.

now there's a nice avatar for someDANone...

7/4, do you always have to be such a pathetic asshole!

This is precisely why I'm throwing my hat into the ring and campaigning for a moderator slot!!!

All those years of taking unseemly verbal shots in the political forum and never once having gone off my meds.... er, um, off the rails to swear at any ill-informed person who dared challenge my authority and encyclopaedic knowledge of both Congress & Weizenbier. Worry not, if elected, I'll have my old Ashcroft Senate staff pals fix me up with some surplus NSA surveillance cameras for quick installation in every forum (yes, even 'live' chat!! Two are going into that place!!) and order will be maintained. shadowbust-bowen.jpg

Allen, I very much resent any comparison with Franco :excited:

When the American comedy show Saturday Night Live began in 1975, a running joke during their fake newscast had Chevy Chase saying "And this just in, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead." This was howlingly funny at the time, like Steve Martin's "wild and crazy guy." (Oops, didn't mean to call you "wild & crazy." ;)) One of those pop culture things that is still remembered 32 years later.

I can understand the need to step back some & do other things, and thanks for all the contributions to the board.