New ESP re-issues

Chalupa

The Actuel recording is "Ramblin" I believe, and has been issued a couple of times (and perhaps originally) on Red from Italy. It was recorded in Rome in 1966 if memory serves.

Yeah, I have both editions and it's hard to tell which was first; I am not sure when Red came on the scene, but assumed it was in the mid-70s.

The session was recorded at the RCA Italiana studios, not that that precludes a label affiliation.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a gig once with Barry, and asked him about the "test" that Paul used to give musicians where he would drop them off someplace in a strange town, and they had to find a girl, a car, a phone, and some smoke by the end of the day, and Barry replied unhappily "that MF stranded me in Rome!" Apparently Louis Moholo found him sleeping on the Spanish Steps. At least that's the way I remember it.........and who knows how it really went down!

Of course, that latter portion was left out of Stopping Time.

Pardon the furthering of this digression, but you might be interested to read my Altschul interview at AAJ.

He did at least give Altschul credit for being the only cat to "pass the test". He must have found some good smoke!

I saw your AAJ interview with Barry in NYC print edition - very nice, and long overdue. Saw him a month or so ago, and he's looking very well.

Coming in April 2008

ESP 1006 ORNETTE COLEMAN, Town Hall 1962

ESP 1016 ALBERT AYLER, DON CHERRY, JOHN TCHICAI, GARY PEACOCK, SONNY MURRAY, Eye and Ear Control

ESP 1052 JAMES ZITRO, Zitro

ESP 3013 FRANK LOWE, Black Beings

ESP 4043 DON CHERRY, Live At Cafe Montmartre 1966, Volume Two

ESP 4044 YUGANAUT, This Musicship

I wish the full Town Hall concert would come out at some point. I believe Ornette has the tapes. They were originally slugged as two Blue Note lps.

Coming in April 2008

ESP 1006 ORNETTE COLEMAN, Town Hall 1962

ESP 1016 ALBERT AYLER, DON CHERRY, JOHN TCHICAI, GARY PEACOCK, SONNY MURRAY, Eye and Ear Control

ESP 1052 JAMES ZITRO, Zitro

ESP 3013 FRANK LOWE, Black Beings

ESP 4043 DON CHERRY, Live At Cafe Montmartre 1966, Volume Two

ESP 4044 YUGANAUT, This Musicship

I wish the full Town Hall concert would come out at some point. I believe Ornette has the tapes. They were originally slugged as two Blue Note lps.

Thanks for posting this info. I've never heard the Zitro or Yuganaut.

I don't know. I do know that there has historically been some connection between ESP and Art Yard.

From "On Jupiter":

"Fourth album in this ultra-deluxe (and fully authorized) Sun Ra/El Saturn reissue program by Artyard. Originally issued as El Saturn 101679, recorded on 10/16/79, never reissued before in any form. " On Jupiter is near ideal as an introduction to the musical worlds of Sun Ra. It has a magical mix of colours from Sun Ras varied palette. Beneath its compelling surface lie many layers of musical detail, and numerous hints as to where Sun Ra was coming from and where he was heading. It combines real depth with beauty and hits you the first time you hear it. On Jupiter represents Sun Ras closest encounter with the world of disco. In the late 1970s he made other albums which also gesture in this direction -- Lanquidity has a jazz-rock feel while remaining firmly part of the Ra omniverse, this is true too of Disco 3000 despite its title. On Jupiter really has only one track which fits the disco tag -- UFO -- but this piece is such a strong statement that it becomes the centre of gravity of the album. The title track, On Jupiter, features Marshall Allens oboe and Sun Ras piano, along with guitars and bass and multi-layered percussion. This is the first appearance on record of this piece, afterwards to remain a frequently performed item in the Arkestras book. Sun Ra would reportedly rehearse his band to the point of exhaustion, but in the studio his was usually a one-take approach, close to a concert performance. This did not necessarily mean that every album appeared in the form it was recorded. On Jupiter , like Lanquidity (but unlike Disco 3000 , essentially a live recording) owes a lot of its final sound to post-production. The album was mixed by Michael Ray, who layered in prerecorded material with that produced in the studio -- Sun Ra sent Ray back to the Arkestra base during the mixing session, and Ray returned with a handful of tapes. Close listening would suggest that some of the guitar and percussion and possibly some vocals were added in this way." -- Chris Trent. All Artyard Sun Ra LP releases are issued in cooperation with ESP-Disk and Ihnfinity Is, along w/ the approval of Marshall Allen & the current members of the Arkestra."

• 1 month later...

Up. Was wondering if anyone picked up any of the new reissues. Saw the James and Bley in the store the other day. They're digipaks whereas the Cherry Vol. 2 is a jewel case. Its kinda strange how some are issued in jewel cases and others in digipaks. What's the logic there.

And then...

I almost bought Burton Greene's Bloom in the Commune only to find out that its really a reissue of the Burton Green Quartet. Now that's annoying :angry: . Why the hell can't ESP just release the album with the original title and artwork, so people don't end up buying something thinking its new material or something? At first glance, I thought it was some live album until I had to look at it real close. They did this already with Ayler's Spirits Rejoice and the Murray, although they didn't change the titles at least. But I'm starting to get really irritated and had to vent about the new ESP. I guess can't complain too much because they are getting some great material out like the Cherrys and the Howard/Phillips.

Okay, I feel better now. -_-

Up. Was wondering if anyone picked up any of the new reissues. Saw the James and Bley in the store the other day. They're digipaks whereas the Cherry Vol. 2 is a jewel case. Its kinda strange how some are issued in jewel cases and others in digipaks. What's the logic there.

According to the ESPDISK site the new re-issue of the Cherry Vol.2 is a digipack. Sounds like you were looking at an old one.

• 3 weeks later...

From the latest DMG newsletter..... :) :) :)

Four more ESPs Remastered FROM ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES [not from vinyl EQ'd safeties]!

HENRY GRIMES TRIO - The Call (ESP Disk 1026; USA) Born in 1935 in Philly, Henry Grimes was one of the most remarkable bassists of the 1960s free jazz movement. This historic session, recorded for ESP-Disk' in 1965, is one of Grimes' few recordings as leader and features the extraordinary Perry Robinson on clarinet.

CD $12

MILFORD GRAVES With SUNNY MORGAN - Percussion Ensemble (ESP Disk 1015; USA) This is drum legend Milford Graves' first solo album originally released in 1965 and recorded with percussionist Sunny Morgan as a duo. Milford Graves has been one of the main drummers in the free-form mode scene and known for skillful inclusion of Asian and African rhythmic ingredients into his solos. He worked with the New York Art Quartet, Giuseppi Logan, Albert Ayler, Don Pullen, Andrew Cyrille and many more. Great liner notes, photos and re-mastered from the original tapes.

CD $12

GIUSEPPI LOGAN QUARTET With DON PULLEN/MILFORD GRAVES/EDDIE GOMEZ - Giuseppi Logan Quartet (ESP Disk 1007; USA) "Originally released in 1964 as ESP 1007. This is the very fine debut album (featuring Don Pullen, Eddie Gomex and Milford Graves)."

CD $12.00

HOLY MODAL ROUNDERS - Indian War Whoop (ESP Disk 1068; USA) The Rounders first electric outing from '67 and the only one to feature their most cosmos-expanding lineup (including playwright Sam Shephard). This is the sound of speed-shooting hillbillies discovering the secrets of life in the sewers below the Peace Eye Bookstore. Loose, psych-out, folkish stumble, a perfect period piece. One of the strangest and coolest albums I've ever encountered.

CD $12