New ESP re-issues

Chalupa

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's avant-garde-y-ish...lots of no doubt well-intentioned and sincere effects that in the end are still effects.

One of those albums you buy, play once, and put away.

I guess like everyone had to do a Bossa Nova album later on, in the early 60s, everyone had to do a New Thing album -- but Bob James of all people?

It's avant-garde-y-ish...lots of no doubt well-intentioned and sincere effects that in the end are still effects.

One of those albums you buy, play once, and put away.

I guess like everyone had to do a Bossa Nova album later on, in the early 60s, everyone had to do a New Thing album -- but Bob James of all people?

This was his musical personality before he went light. He didn't just out of the blue try to do something trendy.

His first album was a trio side on Mercury, probably from when he was Sarah Vaughan's MD. Very mainstream stuff.

I give him credit for being curious and checking stuff out. There's plenty who aren't and who don't. And I think that quality shows up in his later, overtly "commercial" work as well. It's a guy making calculated choices, sure, but he's making informed choices, not just giving his artistic booty up to the Robot Probe while reading the Enquirer in the checkout line. Those type guys are a pox on humanity. The Bob James types are just people having fun making a good living. I'll not convict for that.

Edited by JSngry

His first album was a trio side on Mercury, probably from when he was Sarah Vaughan's MD. Very mainstream stuff.

I dunno, the Bob James on Mercury is pretty weird - electronics, inside the piano stuff, alongside real odd versions of standards. Reminds me a bit of the Don Friedman stuff from the period, albeit with a narrower vocabulary. The trio won a single-LP deal on Mercury as a prize for an Ann Arbor Jazz Festival competition in '63. This is what I recall from my conversations with the drummer, Cleve Pozar, anyway.

It's a fine LP in my opinion, but then again, I like the ESP quite a bit as well.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well Bob James really does his jazz thing on that Montreux Summit from 1977, where he´s together with George Duke. IMHO , Bob James, when playing "jazz", sounds a bit more abstract, maybe a litte into the Tristano thing, I don´t know how to describe it, but though I´m not too familiar with all his big hits from the 70´s , I think he´s someone who really knows all the stuff and could or would play everything from straight ahead to far out to "Nightcrawler" and stuff......, great musician no question......

Well Bob James really does his jazz thing on that Montreux Summit from 1977, where he´s together with George Duke. IMHO , Bob James, when playing "jazz", sounds a bit more abstract, maybe a litte into the Tristano thing, I don´t know how to describe it, but though I´m not too familiar with all his big hits from the 70´s , I think he´s someone who really knows all the stuff and could or would play everything from straight ahead to far out to "Nightcrawler" and stuff......, great musician no question......

I like his Straight Up disc with Christian McBride and Brian Blade. I haven't heard any of his more commercial work.

Expanded issue of More Giuseppi Logan is either out or imminent. Real nice date in my opinion, with ten minutes of unheard music from the Town Hall set. Hope Giuseppi is seeing some money for this.

I used to have that. As I recall, one side was only about 9 minutes long. Needed expansion. Wonder why the 10 min track was left off?

MG

My LP copy of More Giuseppi Logan - not marked, but sounds like mono - was purchased when it was released and contains four tracks: "Mantu', "Shebar", "Curve Eleven", and Wretched Saturday". Hope this adds to the confusion. :D

Certainly does. Perhaps a pre-release batch was sent to Britain?

MG

Even nicer is the fact that Mr Logan is still alive and his fifth album has just been published: http://www.improvising-beings.com/#ib16.

Sorry for being out of topic, I would just find it saddening that another re-re-re-re-reissue of ESP stuff overshadows what's happening in the here and now of our heroes' difficult lives...

Edited by HW!