New ESP re-issues

Chalupa

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Don't own much on ESP and just ordered from the ESP web site. Ordered Paul Bley's Barrage, Sonny Murray, Henry Grimes,Frank Wright, Ayler's :Spiritual Unity,Frank Lowe: Black Beginnings, Lowell Davidson Trio, James Zitro and Giuseppi Logan Quartet. Should be plenty of High Energy Free music for a while. Anybody have any of these or others in the remastered series you want to talk about? :w

Edited by dova

Don't own much on ESP and just ordered from the ESP web site. Ordered Paul Bley's Barrage, Sonny Murray, Henry Grimes,Frank Wright, Ayler's :Spiritual Unity,Frank Lowe: Black Beginnings, Lowell Davidson Trio, James Zitro and Giuseppi Logan Quartet. Should be plenty of High Energy Free music for a while. Anybody have any of these or others in the remastered series you want to talk about? :w

Of the ones you mention, I bought the remastered Grimes, Wright and Lowe. The Grimes, to these ears, sounds great with Grimes up front and sounding very prominent. I bought the Lowe because of the extra material, so I disregarded earlier editions for that reason alone. Again, sound is very good to these ears and its interesting to hear William Parker early in his career. I also found the Wright sounding really good, but my only gripe is that they didn't reissue this material with the original artwork. The album cover for 'Your Prayer' is absolutely badazz.

Overall, I've been pretty pleased with the new reissue program, I just really don't like it when they don't reissue the original cover art, as they redesigned the Murray, Burton, Wright and Ayler's Spirits Rejoice for instance. The original ESP artwork is some of the coolest around and shouldn't be messed with, IMO.

Yeah, some of the cover art stinks on these reissues and at least with the Murray they f'ed up the track order... I mean, all this material should be on CD and done properly, in print for the foreseeable future and with good sound (sound is better than LP on some, worse on others).

Extra material is nice when they have it - I appreciate the extended Lowe, for example, and the proper arrangement of the first Marion Brown.

The new issues are hit-or-miss; I like the Yugunaut and Jugendstil a lot.

• 4 months later...

See some new ESP reissues are slated for 4/1. Here are the ones that caught my attention:

Ronnie Boykins The Will Come, Is Now

http://espdisk.com/official/catalog/3026.html

But its the Sun Ra that really raised my curosity: Sun Ra featuring Pharoah Sanders and Black Harold

http://espdisk.com/official/catalog/4054.html

Was this an original ESP date or is this something else. ESP indicates it wasn't released until 1976...does anyone have any further details?

Thanks!

HG`

51D8yRqoDWL._SS500_.jpg

Sessions info:

Personnel: Sun Ra (keyboard); Art Jenkins (vocals); Black Harold (flute, percussion); Robert Cummings (bass clarinet); Danny Davis , Marshall Allen, Pat Patrick (saxophone); Pharoah Sanders (tenor saxophone); Al Evans (trumpet, flugelhorn); Chris Capers (trumpet); Teddy Nance (trombone); Bernard Pettaway (bass trombone); Alan Silva (bass guitar); Clifford Jarvis (drums).

Catalogue Number: Saturn IHNY 165. Recorded at Judson Hall, New York on December 31, 1964.

This have more songs than the original release:

1. Cosmic Interpretation

2. The Other World

3. The Second Star is Jupiter

4. The Now Tomorrow

5. Discipline 9

6. Gods on a Safari

7. The World Shadow

8. Rocket Number 9

9. The Voice of Pan

10. Dawn Over Israel

11. Space Mates

http://www.espdisk.com/official/catalog/4054.html

• 5 months later...

On the ESP website, there are two new reissues listed:

Charles Tyler Ensemble

Revolutionary Ensemble

The Tyler's amazing, never heard the other one.

I think that these are two of my favorite ESPs. Probably won't happen, but I do hope there's something to amend to that Charles Tyler album... what's there is fantastic.

I go back and forth between Vietnam and The People's Republic, but I think the former may have more "gravitas" (whatever that means).

• 3 months later...

Noah Howard at Judson Hall is excellent! One of the best ESP from that glorious era.

Howard was a distinctive voice in the group of outstanding alto players (Jimmy Lyons, Charles Tyler, Marion Brown among others) that came on the scene then. For his second album on ESP he assembled a very together unit with Ric Colbeck on trumpet (he was also excellent on Howard's first ESP album). Ric and Noah played their heart out through the date with superlative support from Dave Burrell, Cathy Norris and Bobby Kapp.

I still have the test pressing (no cover) of the session I got from Bernard Stollman just before its official release. If anybody has a spare cover of this album, please PM me.

• 2 years later...

I only know of Bob James through his CTI days, so I was interested in finding out that he recorded an album for ESP: Explosions. Any thought on this album? Worth looking into? Hard to believe James as an avant-garde artist.

1009large.jpg

Definitely different, but worth checking out IMHO.