Great Sonny Stitt

garthsj

I actually like the Coltrane-influenced Art Pepper better than the earlier one.

I only saw Sonny Stitt once. It was only a few months before his death. He was chain smoking while playing and going through the speedy bop motions more or less on auto pilot. It was still a bit thrilling to see him. Sort of. I had mixed feelings about it at the time, and still do.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Stitt three times (perhaps I'm forgetting some....). In 1964, on alto only, with McGhee, J.J., Bishop, Potter, Klook; in 1971, both alto and tenor, with Dizzy, Winding, Monk, McKibbon, Blakey; and in 1975, on tenor only, with Dexter, Philly, and local (Dutch) piano and bass. On each occasion Stitt was blowing adequately but not spectacularly. He was no match for Dexter, but Stitt tried hard. Cecil Taylor was in the audience, digging Philly.

... and in 1975, on tenor only, with Dexter, Philly, and local (Dutch) piano and bass. On each occasion Stitt was blowing adequately but not spectacularly. He was no match for Dexter, but Stitt tried hard. Cecil Taylor was in the audience, digging Philly.

Dexter and Stitt appeared in Rotterdam on June 20, 1976 (piano and bass were Rein de Graaff and Henk Haverhoek)... that's what my info says. An hour or so of it was on radio.

I only saw Sonny Stitt once. It was only a few months before his death. He was chain smoking while playing and going through the speedy bop motions more or less on auto pilot. It was still a bit thrilling to see him. Sort of. I had mixed feelings about it at the time, and still do.

It may have been that the example of Coltrane gave Art "permission" to open up his playing in a way that was not possible for the early Art, but was sorely needed later to express what was going on in his life.

This is a correct analysis, re: Pepper, who had not the slightest reason to measure his dick against Sonny at that point ((or any other)).

Also, if folks have not yet testified re: Jug (a-lug, Jug-a-lug) & Stitt road band, why might that be?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, how many of ya'll have heard this Teddy Edwards, from 1980?

Ready for Teddy

It may have been that the example of Coltrane gave Art "permission" to open up his playing in a way that was not possible for the early Art, but was sorely needed later to express what was going on in his life.

Edited by MomsMobley

Also, if folks have not yet testified re: Jug (a-lug, Jug-a-lug) & Stitt road band, why might that be?

Simply because there aren't that many people on Organissimo who are old enough to have heard that band? Stereojack perhaps.

As for early and late Pepper -- several things. First, truly mature Pepper doesn't arrive until the mid-1950s, by which time he'd been a figure of some note for a good while with Kenton. Second, IMO the perilous equilibrium that Pepper reached from then until his incarceration in San Quentin (on the Tampa Quartet album and "Smack Up" on Contemporary, to name two favorites he recorded as a leader) is enough to make him a jazz immortal. Finally, moved though I am by some of the more overtly expressionistic post-return Pepper, and as much as I understand the necessity for him of what he was trying to do during those years, no way that compares to what he achieved on the Tampa "Besame Mucho" and "I Surrender Dear" (both of which can be found on You Tube).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9INTajBBis8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV8-h8HhvQM

Simply because there aren't that many people on Organissimo who are old enough to have heard that band? Stereojack perhaps.

Who goes to strip joints and gin mills anyway?

I'm not that old! I did see a reunion of Stitt and Ammons in 1970 at the Monterey Jazz Festival, right after Ammons got out of the joint. Stitt was playing the Varitone, and Jug carved him!

I saw Stitt several times, and for my money, he usually played well. The last time I saw him was in 1982 in New Orleans, and I recall vividly reacting emotionally to a lovely rendition of Stardust, a tune that he had probably played a thousand times. He was dead a few months later.

Re: Art Pepper

I certainly understand the the point Larry makes above but would add that the very best of the late-period work re-imagines a similar equilibrium in more contemporary terms and, if anything, sounds more perilous than before, gaining an added charge (at least for me) because the stakes seem so damn high. For my taste, my favorite Art is the greatest late stuff -- especially "Today" from 1978 with Cowell, McBee, Haynes. But I sure as hell don't want to live without "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To" from "Meets the Rhythm Section" and the rest of the best '55-'60 stuff. Luckily I don't have to. I wish post-71 Pepper was more consistent than it is and I recognize the issues. But if the gun is at my head, I'm grabbing "Today" first.

I saw Stitt several times, and for my money, he usually played well. The last time I saw him was in 1982 in New Orleans, and I recall vividly reacting emotionally to a lovely rendition of Stardust, a tune that he had probably played a thousand times. He was dead a few months later.

He was captured there, too... with Lockjaw, Walton, Buster Williams and drummer James Black.

Yep, I have that one:

Sonny Stitt - Eddie Lockjaw Davis

New Orleans Jazz Fest. 5/8/82

1. The Song Is You 11:03

2. S'Wonderful 8:47

3. Sonny's Blues 13:14

4. Stardust / On A Clear Day 10:28

5. Just Friends 7:59

Sonny Stitt - Tenor & Alto

Eddie Lockjaw Davis - Tenor

Cedar Walton - Piano

Buster Williams - Bass

James Black - Drums

It's pretty freakin' good too!

Sonny Stitt Smiles

466940096_1f44b0e424.jpg

Edited by marcello

post-return Pepper played great when he just played. But his attempt to be "modern" was just little pointless asides, because, like a lot of others from his musical generation, he did not really "get" the concept of the kind of poly-tonality Trane was getting at. For Pepper these gestures were like little, blind interruptions, understandable psychic expressions, perhaps, but never focused enough to get him where he wanted to go. But when I heard him he just played, digged more deeply into the kind of music he knew, and he was brilliant. And the Vanguard stuff is just strangely torturous, really, to my ears, narcissistic in its self focus.

just my opinion.

that's what happens when you'll work with any pickup rhythm section you meet on the street.

I think that goes for just about any "famous" jazz musician who ever emigrated to Europe!!!

Except that many of those emigrated jazzmen unjustly forgotten or neglected in their country of origin turned out some darn good (if unpretentious) music in Europe because in many cases they were backed by truly sympathetic rhythm sections or bands that really played FOR (and supported) their "star" soloist instead of indulging in "every man for himself" delusions.