Saxophonists who switch to other saxophones

BillF

I've just been listening to Lee Konitz's Inside Hi-Fi, which includes a session with him on tenor. Interesting! I love the two Bird sessions where he switches to tenor and Ornette on Tenor, of course, as well as Art Pepper's forays on tenor. The other day on "Bebop Spoken Here" from KBCS Bellevue, Seattle I heard Sonny Stitt on baritone for the first time. Far less technique, but still unmistakably Stitt! The session where Getz and Mulligan swap horns isn't well spoken of, so I haven't bought that one. It's an interesting experience to hear a saxophonist you know well on a different saxophone. Any thoughts on, or examples of, this phenomenon?

Edited by BillF

Trane started on alto. You can hear him on the Navy band dates ("circulating among collectors") pre-tenor, and/or on a Prestige Gene Ammons date, post-tenor.

There's a Don Menza date on Palo Alto where Sal Nestico plays tenor & Menza mostly plays alto & bari. His bari playing is nice.

In general, I tend to prefer "florid" type players on larger rather than smaller horns. In general, mind you. Sometimes there's too much "style" over "substance" and the bigger sonic/tonal vibrational/aural space soaks up the overflow, like eating bread with greasy food to make it sit better on the stomach.

Edited by JSngry

Jackie McLean, tenor

Benny Carter, tenor

Johnny Hodges, soprano

Charlie Barnet, soprano

Jimmy Heath, alto (if it counts as switching; I think it was his main instrument in the early years)

Doesn't Coleman Hawkins take a baritone or bass sax solo on a Fletcher Henderson recording? I think he does, although I can't remember on what tune.

There is one recorded solo of Chu Berry playing the baritone sax too.

Edited by Swinging Swede

Last time I saw Ronnie Cuber live, he was playing tenor. I wondered whether that might have been a health issue - he's getting on, but not that much. I greatly prefer his baritone playing.

Hank Crawford played alto completely differently to the way he played baritone. Really, he might have been two people.

Now David Newman's the same man whatever he's playing. David's key, I think, is actually to pick the right instrument for each particular song. Well, he seems to succeed most of the time - I often find it hard to imagine how he might have tackled the tune on a different instrument, what he does seems to fit so well.

MG

Don't forget Bird playing tenor sax as "Charlie Chan" on a Miles Davis Prestige session!

He started on a C-melody, IIRC.

Jane Ira Bloom played some alto on her second LP.

AFAIK Sonny Stitt and Gene Ammons both switched between tenor and baritone in the band they had together (recorded for Prestige), depending on who was the tenor soloist.

Edited by mikeweil

I'd consider Ventura not someone who switched, rather (like a few others mentioned) one who used various horns most of the time... he also does some bass sax stuff on the Clef dates included on the Mosaic set.

The line can be difficult to draw sometimes, but in the case of Ventura I think it is safe to say that tenor was his main axe. Add alto to his instruments, btw.

Terence Blanchard's "Romantic Defiance" (Columbia, 1995) includes Kenny Garrett playing exclusively tenor.

Always meant to pick this one up out of curiosity, since Garrett's alto tone is VERY distinctive.

(Heard it once at a friends house years ago, but didn't realize it was Garrett on the date until later.)