The 'Future' of Jazz -- Everybody

Larry Kart

Man, it's DISNEY WORLD!

I've seen those guys before, or others like them.

Funny Disney World Musician story - we we having lunch in whatever the "old america" section is, and a strolling "dixieland" band came by, some older black guys dressed as house servants (yeah, I know...). They were strolling through the dining room fielding all the usual suspects of lame requests, so when they came over to our table, I asked for "Stompin' At The Savoy". MAN! It was like I had said the secret word, all of a sudden, the guard was down and these guys were talking to me about what a drag the gig was, how the crowds were idiots, how the had to play Saints, like 20-30 times a day, all that shit. Then, my wife's aunt, a true cracker if ever there was one, blurts out to the clarinet player, "Well, you know, he plays TROMBONE, just like YOU!". He looked at me, I looked at him, and we both did spit takes worthy of Danny Thomas.

anyway, they went on ahead and played "Savoy", and the clarinet fumbled just a little bit on the bridge, which is what happens if you don't play it for a while. It's a tough tune in a weird key. But they dug it, and the bass player insisted on a solo, which he played just fine on. A splendid time was had by all.

But yeah, 5 saxes playing "Four Brothers", with only one tenor in the bunch. It's....a gig. :g

Disney, baby, DISNEY!

Can't add much to what Jim said, but ... the train engineer outfits! Also, that they probably play "Four Brothers" much better than, say, the LCJO sax section could. On the one hand, it's all so Madame Tussaud; on the other, these are real human beings. And when I look in the mirror, the guy I see there sure isn't the image of me that's in my head.

I spied a Woody clip of Four Brothers (on the related videos to the right) featuring Frank Tiberi, Dave Reikenberg, Jerry Pinter and Mike Brignola, as well as a younger Free For All (spotted between the tenor and bari) dutifully playing his brass hits. :)

Those were the days baby!

Edited by Free For All

Awesome, bearded dude! :) Seriously, great performance. I remember reading you played with them--must have some great memories from those times!

I spied a Woody clip of Four Brothers (on the related videos to the right) featuring Frank Tiberi, Dave Reikenberg, Jerry Pinter and Mike Brignola, as well as a younger Free For All (spotted between the tenor and bari) dutifully playing his brass hits. :)

See there, if it wasn't for this thread you would have never seen the other video. You too, owe it ALL to the mighty Disney. :g

That's actually some pretty cool shit, dude.

I still think these guys play great - the four brothers piece in particular just has a real nice group spirit, like these guys really enjoy playing together - and they execute beautifully -

Absolutely. No blatant sacrifice of intonation for tonal character, and although in my book you take the tonal character over anything else and zero shame attached for doing so, it's always a treat to hear a section having it both ways, and if this ain't exactly a Marshall Royal-led Basie section, it's still a fun, satisfying listen on the scale to which it aspires.

But that tenor player, if you listen to his breaks, sounds like he might get a little horsey, given the opportunity. :g

Still, seeing this on the streets of Disney World is not unlike seeing an animal in a zoo...