EMI/Blue Note Layoffs 6/24/08

I just heard that EMI/Blue Note had a layoff on June 24th (some details can be found here at the Velvet Rope forum. Our old Blue Note forum favorite Tomatbluenote (Tom Evered) was caught in this wave of layoffs.

As much as Tom managed to piss off a lot of people on the Blue Note board, I don't think this is a good thing for the Blue Note label. He was passionate about the music and worked on "the suits" to try and get as much of it out to the buying public as he could. He was pretty proud of being able to issue non-selling titles that had languished in the vaults for decades, particularly when the royalties could help a living Jazz artist make ends meet.

Later,

Kevin

I just got an E-mail from Michael Cuscuna and he said that Tom had been strictly working the classical side of things for a while now but that it was still a very bad omen. He says that there are no more label heads or even label managers. It sounds like they're going to just lump everything together. To me, I'm seeing Jazz=low selling genre=low priority=no more reissues. I hope I'm wrong.

So they don't/might not want to sell it anymore. A questionable decision, but theirs' to make.

"Almost everything" has been digitalized. It'll be available somewhere, somehow in perpetuity. And what hasn't been...hey, people can (and are) taking matters into their own hands.

Do I "feel bad" about all this/that? Yeah, sure. But otoh, reality is what it is, and life goes on. You're either free or a slave, and the choice is yours to make, now more than ever.

Just remember - to live outside the law, you must be honest.

Yeah, this is very bad news whichever way you look at it - lots of unfortunate folks caught in the fallout. We have Tom to thank I believe for the 'Rare Groove' series and for just that alone my thanks are due. Time to pick up those Conns I need and the odd RVG. :(

Edited by sidewinder

yeah but I find the whole thing to be false, too glib - another, I think, of Dylan's pronounements that have false resonance - like saying he used to be older -

also, on another level, given the choice of being robbed by a six shooter or a fountain pen, I'll take the fountain pen -

I'm suddenly having flashbacks to my "Interpreting Dylan" class from college. :huh:

I'm having trouble interpreting this whole thread right about now. A thread about a large layoff at EMI has somehow gotten off into a discussion of music business ethics. :D

Music biz ethics? As Hunter Thompson once said...

"The music industry is a cruel and shallow money-trench. A long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There is also a negative side.”

I'm suddenly having flashbacks to my "Interpreting Dylan" class from college. :huh:

I'm having trouble interpreting this whole thread right about now. A thread about a large layoff at EMI has somehow gotten off into a discussion of music business ethics. :D

Music biz ethics? As Hunter Thompson once said...

"The music industry is a cruel and shallow money-trench. A long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There is also a negative side.”

Yeah, they quoted that in the new documentary. A good one.

I'm sorry to hear about Tom. Whatever way you look at it, a bad sign.

also, on another level, given the choice of being robbed by a six shooter or a fountain pen, I'll take the fountain pen -

I would prefer to leave the robber standing there alone, wondering where I went.

Or better yet, rob him while he's going through the motions of thinking that he's robbing me.

I would prefer to leave the robber standing there alone, wondering where I went.

Or better yet, rob him while he's going through the motions of thinking that he's robbing me.

Wish I had those superpowers. :alien:

Wish I had those superpowers. :alien:

One does not eat the butter until one milks the cow.

And even then, one must follow the advice of Wynonie Harris & keep on churning until the butter comes.