Tyrone Washington TOCJ spotted at half.com

Link: Natural Essence [iMPORT]

Condition: Brand New

Seller's Comments: BRAND NEW! SHRINK WRAPPED! SHIPS FAST!

All the usual disclaimers apply (cuz the seller ain't me).

Somebody here needs this!!!

AMG review

Tyrone Washington - Arranger, Leader, Sax (Tenor)

Woody Shaw - Trumpet

James Spaulding - Flute, Sax (Alto), Sax (Tenor)

Kenny Barron - Piano

Reggie Workman - Bass

Joe Chambers - Drums

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Woke up this morning and turned on my pc and received an email from half.com indicating that Tyrone Washington had come in on my "wish list." I immediately sent in the buy order.

Then I log on to this board, and I've got Rooster trumpeting the news around to all of us sleeping humanity.

Tom, you are a real rooster!! :P

Hopefully, I was able to get it on time.

Thanks for the heads up, Rooster, but half.com already has its "wish list" notifications.

BTW, How do you find out about these things so quickly? I mean, do you have it on your wish list as well?

Watching ebay or half.com = super temptations to buy.

Edited by connoisseur series500

Half.com does not ship outside North America.

It's not half.com that does not ship outside North America, most likely it was the particular seller who elected to not ship overseas. I've had numerous items on sale here, and have shipped overseas many a time.

Every time I tried to buy an item at half.com I got a message that their items are "not available to persons living outside North America".

This album has been mentioned and/or described many times before, but I'll chime in and say that I'm a fan. The one frustrating aspect of the recording for me: Washington is often off-mike, or at least not as close to the mike as Rudy usually recorded horn players at the time. Besides this (and it doesn't ruin the session), the music is certainly worth listening and re-listening to.

And ... I have a sneaking suspicion that some day, perhaps not too far away, M. Cuscuna will have this one reissued as a Connoisseur — with one or two tracks added on from The Day the Train Wrecked and Everybody Wondered What it Sounded Like.

Late, I would like to believe you are correct, but I can't. . . . I've personally heard Michael Cuscuna laugh at how bad he thought the unreleased/rejected session was and assure me that he will NEVER put any of it out. Unfortunately, I believe him. Whoever NEXT is the custodian of the vaults may, but not he. . . .

I'd love to hear that session. . . really has me curious! I'm a big Tyrone fan, and there's not enough of him on tape.

Edited by jazzbo

Woke up this morning and turned on my pc and received an email from half.com indicating that Tyrone Washington had come in on my "wish list." I immediately sent in the buy order.

I had the Tyrone disc on my want-list from half.com too, so I got the same e-mail.

Shit, if I had known that you would have gotten the same e-mail, I woulda kept my mouth shut. (Or did you get it??? - I sure hope so!!!)

Lon, maybe — a la Passing Ships — Cuscuna heard an early mix of Tyrone Wrecked the Train. ^_^ Perhaps it won't sound so bad if he revisits it with new ears. It does seem that he occasionally changes his mind. Let us all send out cosmic vibrations! Give ... Tyrone ... one ... more ... chance!

Or maybe Cuscuna would simply respond to such a suggestion by doing this: :lol:

Woke up this morning and turned on my pc and received an email from half.com indicating that Tyrone Washington had come in on my "wish list."  I immediately sent in the buy order.

I had the Tyrone disc on my want-list from half.com too, so I got the same e-mail.

Shit, if I had known that you would have gotten the same e-mail, I woulda kept my mouth shut. (Or did you get it??? - I sure hope so!!!)

Yeah Rooster, it's been confirmed. I got it.

I say go ahead and continue to crow us awake in the mornings when good stuff comes in. You've got to live up to your name!!! :P

I just happened to have this one on my wish list, but I'm not vigilant all the time, and perhaps others aren't either; so your early morning announcements ;) can help.

Edited by connoisseur series500

Yeah Rooster, it's been confirmed. I got it.

Very good. I'm sure glad somebody here got it, and it couldn't have happened to a sweller guy than you!! :g

I think I must have added it to my 'want list' a long time ago, and forgot all about it. Glad I did though, cuz I was glad to see somebody here get one (and sealed too!), at a really decent price.

I've seen it go for over $40 on eBay, about six months ago.

I got mine a couple years ago from Tower Records (dot com). I was on a big Woody Shaw kick at the time (and still am!!!!), and someone suggested the Tryone disc to me, and said it was something I had to have.

I did a search of all the on-line sources, and couldn't find it anywhere. Expect I did happen to find it at Tower Records (dot com), for about $25 (new), but they only had like 2 or 3 "in stock". Now Tower still has it listed in their system, for $28.99 -- but it's a special order, and I'm sure (since it's long out of print now), they couldn't fulfill an order for it, even if they tried.

Right now, I'm betting a sealed one would go for between $35 and $50 on eBay - depending on who happened to discover the auction. (Maybe more?)

$27 is a very decent price for this title, especially one that was still sealed. Not quite 'a steal', but a very decent price.

Ebay is crazy. A copy of Mobley, "Another Workout" sold for $41.00 yesterday.

I am not one who believes that a cd should trade at those heights NO MATTER what it is! The maximum I'll pay for anything is $25, and I bet this figure is higher than many others will pay for cds. CDs can be reissued at any time and there's no reason to pay so much for anything.

I am looking forward to receiving theWashington session and will make a few comments when I hear it.

Half.com does not ship outside North America.

Hans, you are right. I live in Canada and have the same problem. But there is a way to partially bypass this situation if you are a eBay member. Vey often the half.com sellers also sell on eBay. Just make a search for this seller on eBay, if there is a result click on his name to ask him a question and tell him about the cd that you saw on half.com that interests you. Quite often he will answer positively.

Good luck.

Michel

Three weeks ago, I walked into a local used CD store and found a used but mint copy of the Tyrone Washington TOCJ for $7.99 along with John Patton's Memphis to New York Spirit for $7.99 and McCoy Tyner's Assante (sealed) for $9.99. I think my hands were shaking as I walked to the cash register!!!!

It was like xmas in September!! :excited: