Tadd Dameron's Mating Call

mikeweil

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's an excellent session as it is, too, John.

Of course it is an excellent session as it is, I love it!!! Coltrane plays more beautiful on this one than on any other date in the late fifties - but as beautiful as Dameron could write for two horns ..... just curious, you know ;)

I did not mean to suggest that I thought that you were complaining, Mike. I'm sure that you do enjoy this session. Your question about the missing trumpeter was quite reasonable, though.

Trane was nowhere near his best in 1956, as he was still strung out on heroin. A lot of his playing before he went cold turkey is rather muddled. This Dameron session is a major exception to that rule, and is outstanding by any standard. It is also much better than a lot of those rather shallow blowing sessions that Prestige recorded.

I did not mean to suggest that I thought that you were complaining, Mike. I'm sure that you do enjoy this session. Your question about the missing trumpeter was quite reasonable, though.

Niether did I, it's just one of those dates that's near perfect. For me it's the best place to appreciate Tadd's lovely compositions.

Niether did I, it's just one of those dates that's near perfect. For me it's the best place to appreciate Tadd's lovely compositions.

Small group wise, it is damn close to perfection.

Orchestra-wise, I like this one best:

c56183s138n.jpg

• 3 months later...

I just got back from my interview with Bob Weinstock.

The answer is .......

None of the above, because Gitler is wrong. The date was always intended to be a quartet, not a quintet.

Dan, how was it? Please keep us informed where to get it, or share some impressions!

Glad to know no one missing on "Mating Call"! Wonderful album just as it is, and some of Trane's best playing up to that date!

ubu

Mating Call was early on (1956) for Trane playing in an exposed, out front lone horn position -- there's not much else to compare it to like that, while his work with Miles at that time was still coming into its own....Love Dameron, but 1958's Soultrane is the killer quartet date before Giant Steps, don't you think? Especially for Good Bait.

Before 'Soultrane' there was 'Traneing in/John Coltrane with the Red Garland Trio' which was issued right after the 'Coltrane' session (with Johnny Splawn and Sahib Shihab). That one was the first album released under John Coltrane's name. 'Traneing In' was a beautiful quartet date. 'Slow Dance' is among the gems from that date.

I love those quartet dates! "Traneing In", "Soultrane", and also "Settin' the Pace" are probably my favourite early Coltrane albums. Terrific stuff!

I agree there's not much to compare "Mating Call" to, but if you compare it with Trane's playing on other more or less contemporary dates ("Whims of Chambers", the quartet date with Drew, Chambers & Philly Joe, the Miles dates), I really think his playing has much more authority on "Mating Call".

Of course my being a big Dameron fan may also take a part in that...

ubu

I just spoke to Ira Gitler on the phone and asked him about the "missing instrument". He denied saying this and asked me to tell him where he said it and I got the book out. Best I can find is "..., but with one horn there is no chance for the texture of the usual Dameron ensemble to come through........"

Did I miss a page, or do you have another edition of the book?