Next batch of Conns (Fall 2004) - ???????

Rooster_Ties

Cool, that is I guess what I did, skipped the Cherry and got the watch.

Wish I was home; I'd dig out my Cherry Mosaic and listen to the sucker! (Not that I'm complaining; I'm swinging to some bootleg Monk right now and it's sure helping my morning!)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, the more I dive deeply into the jazz tradition and canon, the less I seem to know, and forgetting some of what I know is a good thing! ;)

Well, the watch was a little disappointing. I don't normally wear watches; I've worn this one a few times on special occasions. . . . It seems wimpy to me! :huh:

Edited by jazzbo

Symphony For Improvisers was in the second batch of Connoisseurs. These were the two first batches:

12th July 1994

Ornette Coleman - The Empty Foxhole

Andrew Hill - Judgment

Bobby Hutcherson - Components

Freddie Redd - The Connection

Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye

Baby Face Willette - Stop And Listen

20th September 1994

Tina Brooks - True Blue

Don Cherry - Symphony For Improvisers

Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop

Johnny Griffin - The Congregation

Clifford Jordan & John Gilmore - Blowing In From Chicago

J. R. Monterose

I was completely unaware of it at the time though. Back then there was no Internet, and I can’t remember seeing these in local shops, which was the only way for me to learn about and get new releases. These days anything can be looked up on the Internet, and I have ordered online from countries on several continents. Things certainly have changed dramatically in less than a decade!

Slightly off topic, but EMI France sold a limited number of Blue Note wrist watches about a year or two before the start of the Connoisseur series. You had to have a special connection to some record dealer to get one, they were practially sold before they hit the shops. I was lucky to get me one, but after five years it ticked it's last beat and turned out to be so cheaply made it was unrepairable!

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...

These would belong to the batch of my dreams.

ART BLAKEY & CO: Golden Boy

ART BLAKEY & THE JAZZ MESSENGERS: The Complete Roulette Recordings (1976-1977)

- Propably 2 CDs including ”Backgammon” and ”Gypsy Folk Tales”.

WAYNE SHORTER: The Complete 1970 Blue Note Sessions

- 2 CDs including ”Moto Grosso Feio”, ”Odyssey of Iska” and the so called rejected session with McCoy Tyner.

HORACE SILVER: Phases I-III trilogy with vocals

- 2 CDs including ”That Healin' Feelin'”, ”Total Response” & ”All”

:tup

Symphony For Improvisers was in the second batch of Connoisseurs. These were the two first batches:

12th July 1994

Ornette Coleman - The Empty Foxhole

Andrew Hill - Judgment

Bobby Hutcherson - Components

Freddie Redd - The Connection

Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye

Baby Face Willette - Stop And Listen

20th September 1994

Tina Brooks - True Blue

Don Cherry - Symphony For Improvisers

Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop

Johnny Griffin - The Congregation

Clifford Jordan & John Gilmore - Blowing In From Chicago

J. R. Monterose

I was completely unaware of it at the time though. Back then there was no Internet, and I can’t remember seeing these in local shops, which was the only way for me to learn about and get new releases. These days anything can be looked up on the Internet, and I have ordered online from countries on several continents. Things certainly have changed dramatically in less than a decade!

Yes, S. Swede, back then I was barely aware of the Connoisseurs as a separate series but I managed to pick up Stop and Listen, True Blue, Whistle Stop, and The Congregation. Guess I was going through a buying spree at the time.

Rooster (or B3er), is it possible to organize most of the choices into some sort of multiple choice poll that people could then vote on and give Michael the results that way. Otherwise, you get a lot of scaterred "how about this" or "how about that" kind of thing.

These would belong to the batch of my dreams.

ART BLAKEY & CO: Golden Boy

ART BLAKEY & THE JAZZ MESSENGERS: The Complete Roulette Recordings (1976-1977)

- Propably 2 CDs including ”Backgammon” and ”Gypsy Folk Tales”.

WAYNE SHORTER: The Complete 1970 Blue Note Sessions

- 2 CDs including ”Moto Grosso Feio”, ”Odyssey of Iska” and the so called rejected session with McCoy Tyner.

HORACE SILVER: Phases I-III trilogy with vocals

- 2 CDs including ”That Healin' Feelin'”, ”Total Response” & ”All”

:tup

Those are some neat choices. I wouldn't mind hearing those. :D

Welcome to the board, yul!

I thought the beauty of the old method on the old BNBB was that every mention of a title was a vote for that title. Vote for as many titles as you want.

Trouble with polls is 1) they only allow 10 choices per poll, and 2) you can only vote for one title in each poll.

Given those limitations, I think it's better to have a thread where people indicate which titles they would actually buy if they were released on CD as Conns.

Can't think of a better way to to do this, but I'm open to other ideas...

No specific mention as yet that I can see for Frank Foster - Manhattan Fever. Now this one is a real beaut that anyone who is into the Liberty-era sessions of Duke Pearson and Blue Mitchell, for example, is going to want to hear. Fine trumpet work too from Marvin Stamm (a rare-ish Blue Note appearance) and a groovin' performance from pianist Richard Wyands. This album is an undersung nugget - nothing profound but extremely enjoyable.

Hill's 'Dance With Death' must surely also be due (indeed way overdue) for CD release. I'd also give 'Compulsion' equal priority in the release schedule. This one becomes more and more significant in the Andrew Hill discography as the years go by.

• 1 month later...

Ahem... HELLO!!!

OK, I'm bumping this topic up again, cuz Michael seems to be thinking about the next round of Conns, for the Fall of 2004 - and he doesn't seem to have a full list of titles set in stone yet. So, we may yet be able to put a bug in his ear about one or two 'pet' titles that we are desparate to get.

So, put your thinking caps on again - and what do you REALLY want to see released in the next batch of Conns in 2004???

He did say that the Booker Ervin / Woody Shaw date was a "probable" release for this Fall, so don't bother to vote for that one. And all the previously unreleased Andrew Hill is already on his radar, but seems to be more like as some sort of Hill "Select" - than a Conn. Here's exactly what I got back from Michael today, in an e-mail...

----- Original Message -----

To: <Rooster's e-mail address>

Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 5:14 PM

Subject: Re: Mosaic FeedBack regarding General Comments.

Tom,

Don't know the rest of the Connoisseurs yet, but probably the Booker Ervin

with Woody will be among them.

I am talking to Andrew [Hill] about gathering the rest of the unissued

sessions into a Mosaic Select set at some point. They are uneven but all

have their moments.

Michael

Also, the Horace Silver "United States of..." whatever series (3LP’s that would be on 2CD’s) already seems to be a good possibility (although he didn't specifically mention it in his e-mail to me). Rest assured, it's probably on his radar, one way or another.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

He did say that the Booker Ervin / Woody Shaw date was a "probable" release for this Fall, so don't bother to vote for that one. And all the previously unreleased Andrew Hill is already on his radar, but seems to be more like as some sort of Hill "Select" - than a Conn.

:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

Thanks for sharing, Rooster T!

ubu

So, can we also suggest a title for the Ervin/Shaw session? There was a thread on the BNBB and I think it was universally agreed that none of the tracks had titles that would make sense as an album title.

I hope Michael picks a title fast - I'm so sick of people referring to this session as Back From The Gig that I could just SCREAM.

Is this Booker's last session as a leader (and one of his last, period)? The title could revolve around that.

Bertrand.

He did say that the Booker Ervin / Woody Shaw date was a "probable" release for this Fall, so don't bother to vote for that one.  And all the previously unreleased Andrew Hill is already on his radar, but seems to be more like as some sort of Hill "Select" - than a Conn.

:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

Thanks for sharing, Rooster T!

ubu

FOR THE RECORD, Michael said he's talking with Andrew about it, and NOTHING is at all certain about whether any of those unreleased Andrew Hill sessions will ever see the light of day.

Personally, I would guess that there's only a 50/50 chance that Andrew will end up wanting them released. Maybe he will, but there's every chance that maybe he won't.

Nobody's more excited about the posibility of hearing all those unreleased Hill sessions than I am. But we need to be clear that this is probably very much an "iffy" project, at this point. I don't want to give the impression otherwise, and don't want to raise expectations beyond just the "maybe" stage.

I don't know Andrew (I only just met the man for two minutes last July), but my gut tells me that this really could go either way. Let's all keep our fingers crossed, and hope for the best. :w

I've said it before and I'll say it again, CONTOURS needs to hit the market!

Since "Fuschia..." was a Conn (instead of an RVG), we won't see "Contours" as a Conn for at least 2 more years (meaning at least two more sets of new Conn releases), is my guess.

(In other words, don't hold your breath for "Contours" this Fall.)

Have I missed something or will these Autumn releases be the first Conns to be issued this year?

That's probably the case. I don't know for sure, but haven't the new Conns been released more recently about 10-months between each new set??

(I'd have a tough time thinking that there'd be both a new round of Conns in the Spring, and another one in the Fall. I sure wish there were going to be two rounds, but that would be quite different from what their release schedule pattern has been like for the last 2, or even 3 years.)