I must admit I love 'em all:

Serge Chaloff - Blue Serge is a desert island disc

Cecil Payne - love his lightness, especially on Ray Crawford's Candid CD

Harry Carney - he should have done more soloing in small groups

Pepper Adams

Gary Smulyan

Ronnie Cuber

Leo Parker

Tate Houston (check out the Delmark Sir Charles Thompson sides!)

Gil Mellé

Two not yet mentioned:

Pat Patrick (yeah!!!)

Charles Davis (was disappointed when he turned to tenor, but he still plays bari and got a rave review in Jazz Times for his latest CD)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dig Cecil Payne's work too. Another guy I like is Tate Houston. I've only heard him on the Fuller BONE and BARI session, but his work stands out on it.

Pepper is probably my favorite though.

Ronnie Cuber is da man! ... Ralphie, I dig your Zappa avatar! I used to have that album...

I almost forgot about Pat Patrick. Sun Ra's band wouldn't be the same without him. Fine command of the horn. What albums did Patrick record on outside of the Arkestra? And did he have any leader sessions? (And did he have any solos on the work he did with Andrew Hill?) Please let me know!

Pat Patrick actually had a band called the Baritone Retinue - 8 baritone players plus rhythm section. It started around 1972 and they made one record for Saturn around 1976 or 1977 (I think it's the only Saturn album without Sun Ra). The baritone players on the album were PP, Charles Davis, Kenny Rogers, Jabbo Ware, Mario Rivera, Reynold Scott, Rene McLean, George Barrow.

I saw Bruce Johnston play maybe three years ago with a Kenton alumni band led by Mike Vax. He played some alto as well. In that band he wasn't even always the bottom of the section because they had bass saxophone there as well for some things.

While I'm here - newer guy to mention: Charlie Kohlhase. Good work with the Either/Orchestra, with the Mandala Octet, and with his own quintet.

Mike

Pat Patrick plays on A.K. Salim's AFRO SOUL/DRUM ORGY, a beautiful gem of an album on Prestige that has a fronline of himself, Yusef Lateef, & Johnny Coles playing over an African drum choir. Not likely to be reissued on CD anytime soon, I'd think, because of it's "eccentric" nature, but well worth picking up if you find it on vinyl.

I saw Mario Rivera playing tenor w/a Tito Puente-led Latin Jazz All-Stars group in 1981, and he BURNED (among others in the band were Jorge Dalto & Andy Gonzalez. A very "avant-Latin" leaning band and a very great one). Ditto for the bari solo he plays on TIPICA '73 EN HAVANA, a salsa album on Fania. This is one interesting player that I have a hard time finding on records. But the cat is a serious player "deserving of wider recognition" as they say.

:huh: Maybe I missed it, but has anyone mentioned the Three Baritone Saxophone Band (Cuber, Brignola & Smulyan with bassist Andy McKee and drummer Joe Farnsworth) and their recording "Plays Mulligan"? Great stuff - especially the title song from the noir classic, "I Want To Live".

Ya'know, I don't know whatever became of Bruce Johnston,

Yes, that's right Jim, - a great baritone player. Anyone who's not convinced try to find Maynard Ferguson MF Horn 3 on Columbia or especially MF Horn 4&5 Live at Jimmy's.

I believe he lives now in uptate New York and still plays a mean baritone, appearing on the recent Mike Vax "On the Road" CD on Summit records. He solos on a couple of pieces including his own comp. "Sunrise Lady" (which he had previously recorded with Woody Herman). But the Maynard days were really his high point.

:huh: Maybe I missed it, but has anyone mentioned the Three Baritone Saxophone Band (Cuber, Brignola & Smulyan with bassist Andy McKee and drummer Joe Farnsworth) and their recording "Plays Mulligan"? Great stuff - especially the title song from the noir classic, "I Want To Live".

That is a great Cd, but what drives me nuts about it is that the baritone solo order is never identified. It always bugs me supremely when someone is soloing and I don't know who it is. I think I have figured out who solos when and there is fairly good stereo separation on the soloists, but since these guys all have a similar style, I'm not absolutely sure.

Has anyone metioned Joe Temperley? Of course, he holds the baritone chair in the LCJO, but he has recorded on his own too. He's a great player. I have a Hep album he made with Jimmy Knepper, a Hep CD called "Concerto for Joe" (big band and quartet tracks), plus his duo Cd with Dave McKenna on Concord.

I love his warm, "reedy" sound, almost a classical baritone sound I would imagine.

That is a great Cd, but what drives me nuts about it is that the baritone solo order is never identified. It always bugs me supremely when someone is soloing and I don't know who it is. I think I have figured out who solos when and there is fairly good stereo separation on the soloists, but since these guys all have a similar style, I'm not absolutely sure.

John,

here's the solo order:

1. Line for lyons - Smulyan-Brignola-Cuber

2. Blueport - Brignola-Cuber-Smulyan

3. I want to live - Cuber

4. Walkin' Shoes - Cuber-Brignola-Smulyan

5. Elevation - Cuber-Brignola-Smulyan

6. Black Nighttown - Smulyan

7. Bernie's Tune - Cuber-Brignola-Smulyan

8. Festive Minor - Brignola

9. Theme for Jobim - Smulyan-Brignola-Cuber

10. Five Brothers - Smulyan-Brignola-Cuber

11. Lonesome Boulevard - Smulyan-Brignola-Cuber

12. Waltz for Geraldus - Cuber-Smulyan-Brignola

Has anyone metioned Joe Temperley? Of course, he holds the baritone chair in the LCJO, but he has recorded on his own too. He's a great player. I have a Hep album he made with Jimmy Knepper, a Hep CD called "Concerto for Joe" (big band and quartet tracks), plus his duo Cd with Dave McKenna on Concord.

I love his warm, "reedy" sound, almost a classical baritone sound I would imagine.

Joe Temperley is indeed a fine Bari player (he plays mean clarinet as well). Je is THE Carney disciple nowadays. Checkout "Nightingale" on Hep and his Naxos Jazz recordings for other fine examples of his work.

Here's a guy that has not been mentioned yet: Alex Harding. I bought his latest disc, INVOCATION FOR PEPPER (which is on the CIMP label), after reading the review in Cadence, and enjoy it quite a bit. He's more of an outsidish leaning player, although there's enough "inside" playing here to balance things out. It's a trio disc with bass (Dominic Duval) and drums (Jay Rosen). The tunes are mainly standards, although don't expect a "straight ahead" reading of them. Check it out.

Pat Patrick played in Mongo Santamaria's Band for several years, Bobby Capers or Hubert Laws was the other saxophonist, and they all doubled like wild, all playing alto, tenor, baritone and flute, so there is only one Patrick bari solo per LP.

Same for the Riverside sessions he played on, he's on three tracks of the Frank Strozier "Long Night", three of Blue Mitchell's "A Sure Thing" and the like. Jimmy Heath's "Really Big" is another one where he played bari.

On my quest for Patrick in the Bruyninckx disco I found some rare bird:

"The Sensational Guitars of Dan and Dale"

which are Danny Kalb and Steve Katz (the latter of Blood, Sweat & Tears fame). The band features Al Kooper (both guitarists were in his Blues Project) and SUN RA !!! on organ :excited: and Jimmy Owens, Tom McIntosh, Marshall Allen, John Gilmore and Pat Patrick as horn section!!! Now that should be something!!! Anybody heard this??? Recorded in 1966 for Tifton S-78002. The album is called "Batman and Robin" - the song titles are what you're afraid it will be after reading the album title.

Temperley is great. He is featured on Benny Carter's sax ensemble CD on MusicMasters.

Edited by mikeweil

Pat Patrick actually had a band called the Baritone Retinue - 8 baritone players plus rhythm section. It started around 1972 and they made one record for Saturn around 1976 or 1977 (I think it's the only Saturn album without Sun Ra). The baritone players on the album were PP, Charles Davis, Kenny Rogers, Jabbo Ware, Mario Rivera, Reynold Scott, Rene McLean, George Barrow.

Am I right it is hopeless to ask for availability of this item?

Another Bari Player who deserves a wider recognition is Jack Nimitz. I believe he only has 1 studio recording as a leader: "Confirmation" on Fresh sound. Mr. Nimitz played with Woody Herman band in 53-55, with Kenton's Band 55-56, 58-59 and also with Terry Gibbs' Dream band (late 50s - early 60s) . He also has 1 or two live recordings on the obscure woofy records (sp) and that's it.

A very fine mainstream-bop player.

Edited by White Lightning

Here's a guy that has not been mentioned yet: Alex Harding.  I bought his latest disc, INVOCATION FOR PEPPER (which is on the CIMP label), after reading the review in Cadence, and enjoy it quite a bit.  He's more of an outsidish leaning player, although there's enough "inside" playing here to balance things out.  It's a trio disc with bass (Dominic Duval) and drums (Jay Rosen).  The tunes are mainly standards, although don't expect a "straight ahead" reading of them.  Check it out.

:tup Previous to "Invocation", Harding recorded the aptly named "Freeflow" CD for CIMP also using a bari/bass/drum trio. And he steals the show on Ahmed Abdullah's "Actual Proof", also on CIMP. A very soulful free-jazzer.

Tim Berne plays some mean bari.  The cut "Worms" on the Spring Heel Jack "Masses" disc is some incendiary playing.

I saw Berne's Bloodcount in Atlanta a few years ago and the second song of the set had this funky baritone-anchored groove - at least until the song mutated into something else. It turned out to be "Screwgun", which popped up on the "Saturation Point" CD. Berne's best riffs seem to always show up on baritone - like "Bro'ball" on "Unwound" or "Eye Are Us" on the "Discretion" CD. It was those performances that sent me to the music store to pick up a baritone for myself.