Baritone Saxophonists

Late

Unless I haven't been reading carefully enough, I think we forgot about Charlie Ventura! I dig his sides on Verve, where, in addition to the bari (and tenor), he plays some wild bass saxophone. A fun player.

Late, I do believe you are correct! Yes, he is a fun player, wish more folks felt that way, hopefully the Proper set has helped the situation...

Mills Blue Rhythm Band also used Baritones in unison for an bit of a sinister effect....>St. Louis Wiggle Rhythm-track two, bastards won't let me link directly!<

Edited by BERIGAN

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all have mentioned many of my favorites -- Glenn Wilson, Carney, Pepper, Charles Davis, Sahib Shihab, John Surman, Chaloff, Gil Melle... -- but how about these players?

Leroy "Hog" Cooper

He played with Ray Charles and can be heard to fine advantage on THE LEGENDARY BUSTER SMITH sessions.

Ernie Caceres

Baritone was not his primary horn -- though neither was clarinet, come to think of it -- but he was an important early soloist on the big sax. Check out his work with Sidney Bechet, Eddie Condon, Brad Gowans (on an late 40's RCA 10-inch LP, NEW YORK NINE, that has been issued on CD in Germany), and Bobby Hackett.

Carlo Actis Dato

Again, a multiple reed player who makes extensive use of baritone. Check out BLUE CAIRO or the solo recital URATU.

Edited by Joe

In the obscure category, there's the Fred Jackson, whose disappearance after just a few tantalising albums we lament, playing a fine baritone solo on the title track of John Patton's "The Way I Feel". I think this session showed up in the recent Mosaic 3 CD set.

That's interesting - I thought he was strictly a Tenor man.

Barak - thank you. Actually I found the disc in question the next day, having mis-filed it.

Tom Storer (and others) have mentioned Scott Robinson, who's been a member of Maria Schneider's orchestra for some time --- had the pleasure of talking to him after one of Maria's concerts where he (and the rest of the players) sounded absolutely *brilliant.*

And Nick Brignola ---- very glad to have heard him live once in an intimate setting. I told him how much I enjoyed his recording "It's Time" where he plays 8 different woodwinds. He told me that it sold relatively few copies. Tremendous player!!

I've got the famed Adams/Brignola collaboration on Beehive on cassette only. I'll have to dust if off and give it a listen soon.

The thread has reached page 6 and it seems that nobody has mentioned Charlie Fowlkes yet. Can't remember solos by him but his sound was really part of the Basie New testament band.

Folks! Anybody knows solos by Fowlkes?

Can do, Brownie. He was on several of the Buck Clayton Jam Sessions, and solos there. Everyone, even the studio cat, solos on those performances.

And, a big welcome back to you, Barak, via Washington and Alaska.

In the obscure category, there's the Fred Jackson, whose disappearance after just a few tantalising albums we lament, playing a fine baritone solo on the title track of John Patton's "The Way I Feel". I think this session showed up in the recent Mosaic 3 CD set.

Yes, Jackson's baritone playing is some of my favorite on that instrument. Too bad we don't have more of him on it. He really brings a beautiful conception on it to "The Way I Feel" session.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm checking this thread out for the first time, and it seems most of the great baritonists have gotten a mention. One who didn't is the late Charles Tyler. He gained noteriety as the alto player with Albert Ayler. I found him to be a somewhat florid altoist, but on baritone, Tyler was a monster. His tone was gigantic, I mean the size of Carney's or Adams'. He played long meaty lines, swinging fiercely, punctuating with howls and growls. He led a fantastic freebop quartet with Earl Cross on trumpet, Ronnie Boykins on bass, and Steve Reid (not the smooth jazz guy) on drums. They were active in the mid-1970's, and they recorded two great albums, "Saga Of The Outlaws", and "Definite, Vols. I & II". Tyler was a true unsung giant of the bari, whose name seems to be in complete obscurity. Overall, my favorite baritone players are Carney, Adams, Mulligan, Tyler, and Patrick, but I must say I dig everybody named here. And don't forget Jack Washington.

I checked this thread for the first time too and here is someone who hasn't been mentionned (maybe because he is also a great tenor player) : BILLY ROOT

His recorded output is somewhat slim but if you ever heard Kenton's Tropicana live date and Lee Morgan's Dizzy Atmosphere date, you must admit he is one who counts on the baritone.

Edited by Vincent, Paris

1. Takin' Off

2. If I Had You

3. 20th Century Blues

4. Street Beat

5. Tunis In

6. Strange Hours

7. Rhythm Itch

8. Mad Lad

9. Benson Alley

10. Sir Charles' Boogie

11. Harlem Jump

12. Mr. Big Horn

13. Benson Alley (Alternate)

14. Strange Hours (Alternate)

15. Rhythm Itch (Alternate)

16. Harlem Jump (Alternate)

17. Mad Lad (Alternate)

Three dates, 1945 and 47. Cannot give you much more info, as I am at work.

Well, I found this:

Sir Charles Thompson and his All Stars [Apollo Sessions]

Buck Clayton (tp) Charlie Parker (as) Dexter Gordon (ts) Sir Charles Thompson (p) Danny Barker (g) Jimmy Butts (b ) J.C. Heard (d)

NYC, September 4, 1945

R1030 Takin' Off Spotlite [E] SPJ 150D, Vogue [F] LDAP 769

R1031 If I Had You -

R1032 20th Century Blues -

R1033 The Street Beat -

* Every Bit of It / Charlie Parker (Spotlite [E] SPJ 150D)

* The Fabulous Apollo Sessions / Sir Charles Thompson (Vogue [F] LDAP 769)

That's the most interesting of these sessions, in my opinion, but the one without Barisax...

and here's the other two:

Date: ca. July 1947

ldr- Sir Charles Thompson; t- Joe Newman; ts- Bob Dorsey; bar- Leo Parker; p- Sir Charles Thompson; g- Freddie Green; b- John Simmons; d- Shadow (Rossiere) Wilson

Tunis In (aka Tune Us In) - 02:50 (Sir Charles Thompson)

Strange Hour - 03:03 (Sir Charles Thompson)

Strange Hour - 03:00 (Sir Charles Thompson)

Rhythm Itch - 02:58 (Sir Charles Thompson)

Rhythm Itch - 02:49 (Sir Charles Thompson)

Mad Lad - 02:42 (Sir Charles Thompson)

Mad Lad - 02:34 (Sir Charles Thompson)

Date: December 29, 1947

ldr- Sir Charles Thompson; t- Taft Jordan, Joe Newman; tb- H. B. Mitchell; as- Pete Brown; ts- Bob Dorsey; bar- Tate Houston; p- Sir Charles Thompson; g- Hank Morton; b- John Simmons; d- Shadow (Rossiere) Wilson

Benson Alley - 03:33 (Sir Charles Thompson)

Benson Alley - 03:07 (Sir Charles Thompson)

Sir Charles' Boogie - 02:35 (Sir Charles Thompson)

Harlem Jump - 02:34 (Sir Charles Thompson)

Harlem Jump - 02:34 (Sir Charles Thompson)

Mr. Big Horn - 02:59 (Sir Charles Thompson)

did not know there was a good Thompson disco online (here)

ubu

Edited by king ubu