Bill Dixon

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like to mention that I picked up Weight/Counterweight yesterday. It has to be the best new(er) release I've heard in a long, long time. Sparse, completely unforced, simultaneously dynamic and subdued... in some weird way, it captures the special "vibe" of Get Up With It-era Miles with 100% more flexibility. Ambient free jazz might be the best way to put it--a completely different idiom--even more so than the Soul Note group recordings (which I love). It's a testament to the man's continued development...

• 1 month later...

Fortunately got mine when it was first issued, an exception to my usual mode of procrastinating and vacillating until too late. I've been operating on the principle lately that if a major artist (and, make no mistake, Bill Dixon is securely in that category) puts out a new musical statement, grab it, especially on vinyl, even if the naysayers are taking shots. In time, it will reward.

• 1 month later...

I have all those box sets already, the Dixon has been out a few weeks and the others for quite some time in Europe. (I ordered all mine from amazon.fr, they shipped from amazon.de). They're all great. I'm really enjoying the Dixon, about 2/3 of the way through (I'd only heard two discs before.)

• 2 years later...

Not sure people here are aware of this:

Pomegranate: New Music for Bill Dixon

Raising funds to record new work dedicated to my mentor, Bill Dixon, w/Joe Morris, William Parker, Warren Smith and Ben Stapp at Firehouse 12 in New Haven.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pomegranate-new-music-for-bill-dixon/x/498791