Grant Green reissue question

wesbed

Does anybody have any opinions/knowledge regarding the remastering of Grant Green’s Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark?

c90388804ej.jpg

I read at AMG that this music was released originally, by Mosaic, as a four CD box. That Blue Note trimmed the set to two disks to feature the quartets of Green & Clark without the presence of a saxophone. >AMG link<

I’m thinking, if Mosaic released its version of this set (as 4 disks), the music was remastered by Mosaic. Is the Blue Note 2-CD set a reissue of Mosaic’s already remastered box? Did Blue Note have to remaster from the original tapes in order to place the Blue Note label on the packaging?

The Blue Note release has a date of 1997. The liner notes say Michael Cuscuna produced the reissue. There is an SBM label on the back, lower, right-hand corner. There is nothing I can find, within the Blue Note set, as to who remastered the collection. The SBM label is a hint, to me, that the Blue Note 2-CD set has been remastered. It says the recording engineer is Rudy Van Gelder but nothing further. No mention of Ron McMaster or anyone else being involved with the remastering effort.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wesbed: stop bothering about remastering on this one, instead: GRAB IT! Some real good music, one of my favorite Grant Green sets!

I never thought remastering on this one was bad, never bothered about it, actually.

What was on the Mosaic additionally is: the "Born to Be Blue" date with Ike Quebec, and two tracks added to the CD of "The Latin Bit", also with Quebec.

ubu

The Mosaic set was probably remastered in 16 bit, whereas SBM is probably better than that. But I'm no expert so don't hold me to it.

My recollection was that the two cd set left off sessions that had less relevance for the concept. Take a look at the AMG Review for a better explanation.

As others have said the remastering is irrelevant, if It Ain't Necessarily So, doesn't send you into orbit, then there's no hope. Blakey's rhythm drives these guys into areas I've rarely seen. It is just incredible.

Run, do not walk, to grab this cd. It'll be one of the best things you ever pick up.

I agree with everybody else... run, don't walk, who knows how long this set will be in print or indeed if it is still in print.

Great, great music.. bought my copy as soon as it was available, after the disappointment of the Mosaic set being out of print, and would never look back...

For anyone with a turntable, you won't be disappointed with the Mosaic if you happen to find a copy of this. The other option is to get the King 'GX' vinyl releases from the 1980s of 'Oleo', 'Nigeria' and 'Goodens Corner'. These will sound fantastic but the limited quantities issued means they will be hard to find. Nice sleeve art too !

• 3 years later...

i never warmed up to 'solid'.

'street of dreams' is, imho, a sheer masterpiece. what a group.

the sides at hand (with clark) are probably the highest watermark of grant's career. a friend of mine turned me on to these when they were issued on king, so when they were transfered to disc and issued domestically i pounced on them. as everyone has so much as said, they'll become the centerpiece of your grant green collection.

cheers!

-e-

ithe sides at hand (with clark) are probably the highest watermark of grant's career. they'll become the centerpiece of your grant green collection.

Agreed, and ironically they were never even released back in the day. The Mosaic of this is what convinced me that Green was a great guitarist. 'Idle Moments' was also great, and I've been able to discover a number of other sessions which have come out on CD since which had been out of print on vinyl already when I started listening to jazz in the early 70's. If you buy the 2CD Green/Clark, and the single CDs 'Born to Be Blue' by Green and 'Blue & Sentimental' by Quebec, you have everything that was in the Mosaic box at a fraction of the cost. I remember complaining a bit to Mosaic when they released the box because the music would have easily fit onto three CD's, yet they stretched it out to four (and charged the extra $16 or whatever the cost per disc was back then). But I also complimented them on how great and eye-opening the music was.

i never warmed up to 'solid'.

'street of dreams' is, imho, a sheer masterpiece. what a group.

the sides at hand (with clark) are probably the highest watermark of grant's career. a friend of mine turned me on to these when they were issued on king, so when they were transfered to disc and issued domestically i pounced on them. as everyone has so much as said, they'll become the centerpiece of your grant green collection.

cheers!

-e-

I second the recommendation for street of dreams. Hutcherson is superb and I love the way the vibes sound against the organ and Elvin's cymbals