Bill Evans with Hubbard and Zoot

papsrus

IIRC Evans' solo on All About Rosie made his early reputation. There are two issued takes. The originally issued one was on a compilation of specially commissioned avant-garde pieces by Russell, Mingus and others, the other on a cd of Evans odds and ends put out by Columbia. (Don't have the cds in front of me to confirm.)

IIRC Evans' solo on All About Rosie made his early reputation. There are two issued takes. The originally issued one was on a compilation of specially commissioned avant-garde pieces by Russell, Mingus and others, the other on a cd of Evans odds and ends put out by Columbia. (Don't have the cds in front of me to confirm.)

Never heard of an alternate. If you can locate info, report back.

"All About Rosie" appears on Bill Evans - Piano Player and on The Birth of the Third Stream, both Columbia CDs.

Piano Player - AMG review

d99959qxa65.jpg

The Birth of the Third Stream - AMG review

c57258p2t4b.jpg

Edited by J.A.W.

This alternate is on "Piano Player," the Bill Evans Columbia cd.

1. All About Rosie (3rd Section) - (previously unreleased, with The George Russell Orchestra)

2. My Funny Valentine - (with Miles Davis)

3. Vierd Blues - (with David Pike)

4. Besame Mucho - (with David Pike)

5. Mornin' Glory - (previously unreleased, with Eddie Gomez)

6. Django - (previously unreleased, with Eddie Gomez)

7. Waltz For Debby - (previously unreleased, with Eddie Gomez)

8. Ttt (Twelve Tone Tune) - (previously unreleased, with Eddie Gomez)

9. Comrade Conrad - (previously unreleased, with Eddie Gomez)

10. Gone With the Wind - (previously unreleased, with Eddie Gomez)

11. Fun Ride - (previously unreleased, with Eddie Gomez/Marty Morell)

Nice cd. Still available.

41z2urQng2L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Just checking my memory here, did Evans do three dates w/George Russell? The RCA Jazz Workshop thing, and then New York, New York & Jazz In the Space Age for Decca, right?

Don't forget the Columbia recording of All About Rosie. It is probably my favorite.

Never heard it, but wasn't Living Time on Columbia another?

Yeah, forgot about that one!

Ironically enough, I just went over to David Baker's office to drop off some things, and in the midst of talking about how Freddie Hubbard was doing, David mentioned how athletic FH had been when younger. "I was going down Broadway with him after he finished that INTERPLAY date with Bill Evans and Philly Joe, and he handed me everything in his pockets and started walking down the street on his hands!" David said. I told him there was an active thread about that album here and that I'd have to pass along the anecdote. ^_^

Ironically enough, I just went over to David Baker's office to drop off some things, and in the midst of talking about how Freddie Hubbard was doing, David mentioned how athletic FH had been when younger. "I was going down Broadway with him after he finished that INTERPLAY date with Bill Evans and Philly Joe, and he handed me everything in his pockets and started walking down the street on his hands!" David said. I told him there was an active thread about that album here and that I'd have to pass along the anecdote. ^_^

Very cool. :tup

I guess we could say he must have enjoyed the session, hands down.

Edited by papsrus

HEYYYYYYYY RICKY!

Here's one that was about to be forgotten:

e38344fpzf2.jpg

You got you "unusual" frontline of alto (Gene Quill) & trombone, w/Teddy Kotick & Dannie Richmond filling out the rhythm section. A fine repertoire (including three outstanding Knepper originals), and everybody came to play.

HEYYYYYYYY RICKY!

Here's one that was about to be forgotten:

e38344fpzf2.jpg

You got you "unusual" frontline of alto (Gene Quill) & trombone, w/Teddy Kotick & Dannie Richmond filling out the rhythm section. A fine repertoire (including three outstanding Knepper originals), and everybody came to play.

:tup

Fresh Sounds recently released this whole album with other early Evans material on a CD called The Sideman Years

superd_7509388.jpg

Edited by John L

Da' Bastids had a Japanese reissue up within the last few years, but at J-prices. There was also a 70s vinyl reissue, that whole Bethlehem reissue thing, but iirc it ws one of the later/last ones in the series and didn't get too much of a run.

I'm loathe to give too many props to those "questionable" FS reissues, but this is definitely a date worth hearing.

There was also a 70s vinyl reissue, that whole Bethlehem reissue thing, but iirc it ws one of the later/last ones in the series and didn't get too much of a run.

They also retitled the session IDOL OF THE FLIES for that re-release... I actually once saw a copy at a local Half-Price Books.