Willow Weep for Me

Ann Ronell, although a prolific songsmith, never wrote anything to rival "Willow Weep for Me" as a vehicle for improvisation. Indeed, her authorship itself is in some doubt

From Wikipedia:

"Ronell was romantically involved with George Gershwin at the time she wrote her most famous song, "Willow Weep for Me" and speculation in the New York City composer community is that Gershwin actually wrote the song and gave her the copyright as a gift. However, this has never been proven and is still, at this point, based on the striking similarities in the song to the blues-inflected style of Gershwin."

I'm sitting here listening to Herb Hall's version of this great song. A song search on Amazon returns 1461 hits. Anyone have a favorite version?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sinatra's on "Only the Lonely." Maybe the best thing he ever did, though clearly there's a lot of competition. The way he colors and links together the song's vowel sounds is uncannily poetic -- in effect, he uncovers a deeper song beneath the one Ronnell wrote, and the one she wrote was already pretty deep. Also, though I'd have to listen again to be sure, I think Sinatra's only means there are timbre coupled to insight; I have no memory of him changing the rhythmic value of a single note. For some reason, when I hear that track, I think of Lester Young listening to it -- not that I know he did, but...

And now that I think it, my favorite Pres solo from his time with Basie is on "Taxi War Dance," and that tune is on "Willow Weep for Me" changes, which is nutty because Pres famously launches that solo with a quote from "Ol' Man River."

And now that I think it, my favorite Pres solo from his time with Basie is on "Taxi War Dance," and that tune is on "Willow Weep for Me" changes...

Similar in spots, notably the bridge, but not a direct contrafact by any means. "Inspired by" is about as close as I'd go.

Very sad story about this tune on the recent BBC Radio 3 documentary about the late Ed Dipple, proprietor of Mole Jazz. Bobby Wellins revealed that Ed contacted him after receiving a diagnosis of incurable cancer and asked him if he'd play Willow at his funeral. Bobby agreed and duly did so.

I have quite a few memorable versions of this song. I just looked through my collection and found several great versions, funnily enough mostly on records where two "stars" were combined.

Groove Holmes & Gene Ammons

Stanley Turrentine & the Three Sounds

Teddy Edwards & Les McCann

Lou Rawls & Les McCann

David Newman & Clifford Jordan

Buddy Tate & Wild Bill Davis

Al Grey & Jimmy Forrest

Arnett Cobb & Milt Buckner

David Newman & Ray Charles

In addition, there are great versions by Ike Quebec and Norman Simmons. Arnett and Jug both recorded great versions for the Moodsville label.

As it happens, I've just been listening to the Cobb/Buckner version, ("Again with Milt" - Black & Blue) which is a killer.

But my two favourites are by David Newman/Ray Charles and one I bought only about eighteen months ago but is so strikingly dramatic it became an immediate favourite - it's by O'Donel Levy. This version is taken in 6/8 and has a terrific "soul" vocal, presumably by Levy himself. It's not, of course, much like any of the other versions. It's on the album "Everything I do gonna be funky" (Groove Merchant).

MG

Years and years ago my wife once asked me to play every single version of this tune that I had in the house at the time (it ended up being about 15). I remember digging the Tatum quite a bit, as well as a version by Ben Webster, and yes, the Sinatra that Larry mentions. There's a version by Billie Holiday that I liked as well--the quality of her voice really conjured the physicality of the tree itself.

And now that I think it, my favorite Pres solo from his time with Basie is on "Taxi War Dance," and that tune is on "Willow Weep for Me" changes...

Similar in spots, notably the bridge, but not a direct contrafact by any means. "Inspired by" is about as close as I'd go.

Thanks for the correction. I was "inspired by" that similarity. :)

Hey, I really don't enjoy being anal about things, but when it comes to stuff like that, I can't help myself. Probably just because of my experience as a player & having too many instances of "almost is" not equaling "actually is", thaat there are some points and somethings where "is" really does mean is, if you know what I mean, and the subsequent frustrations & delights that come out of those realizations. In oterhr words, I can be as relativistic and abstract as almost anybody, but not when it comes to the point of thinking that almost not hitting that tree is definitely not the same as not hitting it. ;)

But anyway, that might be my favorite Prez/Basie solo as well, although there's also "Pound Cake" and "Let's Make Hay While The Moon Shines", and...hell, who am I kidding? They're all my favorites... :g

Oh yeah, to the topic at hand, I've also deeply enjoyed the Dexter version on Our Man In Paris, although it's perhaps "out of character" of the tune itself. But oh well about that. The Sinatra version is also superb, and let's not fail to consider the possible inspirational effect of Nelson Riddle's wholly original arrangement.

But the real sleeper, of all the versions I've heard and can remember (not 100% overlap there, unfortunately), is one by Helen Merrill with some intense/stunning/etc Wayne Shorter commentary and soloing. It can be found here:

merrill-1.jpg

and can be safely recommended to all who might enjoy it, as well as some who might not.

{Edit to add KUDOS to Shawn, whom I see is reading this thread, for hipping me to this fine album of prerecorded music!)

Edited by JSngry

Hey, I really don't enjoy being anal about things, but when it comes to stuff like that, I can't help myself.

It's important IMO to keep stuff like that straight. It's not always the end of things, but some dumb things get said and thought that are based on mis-information at that level.