What to do with broken records

blajay

What to do with broken or warped records  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You left out a great one:

Get a silver-colored magic marker and write genre names, as I do with my trashed records, and then position them between sections of your collection. For example, I have one each for Jazz, Latin, Brasil, Exotica, Crime/Spy, Space, Moog, Zodiac, Now Sound, Classical, etc.

It's best when you find a trashed record in the genre it's representing.

And if the cover has a scantilly clad babe on it, it goes right on the wall.

Get a silver-colored magic marker and write genre names, as I do with my trashed records, and then position them between sections of your collection. For example, I have one each for Jazz, Latin, Brasil, Exotica, Crime/Spy, Space, Moog, Zodiac, Now Sound, Classical, etc.

It's best when you find a trashed record in the genre it's representing.

Great idea!

Now I only have to break some ..... :ph34r::excited:

Lift the needle off the record.

Guest Bill Barton

The frisbee idea is the way to go...

This was a time-honored tradition at WRUV-FM back in the 1970s when I was there. We used to go out behind the station and see if we could scale 'em into the reservoir (usually unsuccessfully - probably a good thing when it comes to drinking-water quality!) Now that I think about it they weren't necessarily broken either. :w

I have a funny broken record story.

Years ago, when my wife and I lived in Boston, her parents brought up a bunch of her things from their house in Chicago. Among these was a box of LPs that had belonged to my wife as a child. Sadly, her mother had stored them near a heating vent and they were all badly warped. We didn't own a turntable anyway, and as they were warped, I suggested just throwing them away. My wife objected, and said that if we were going to get rid of them, we should at least try to sell them. I said that since they were warped, they were worthless and nobody would buy them, but I agreed to at least try. I figured that once a couple of stores said no, she would let me throw them away.

So a friend and I took the box of records to a store. The funny thing was that the clerk didn't even look at the warped LPs themselves before rejecting them. It was a box of Barry Mannilow, Air Supply, and some other late-70s/early-80s soft rock albums the clerk said they already had too many copies of. I called my wife from a phone booth outside the store (which was near Kenmore Square, for those who know Boston) and told her that it was no-go and she agreed that I could chuck them.

So my friend and I went looking for a trash can. There was one right on the corner of Beacon St. and Comm. Ave. (right where they cross in the square) and I dropped them in. No sooner did I drop them then a voice cried out: "Hey! That guy's throwing away records!" A crowd of twenty-somethings in shabby coats surrounded the trashcan as they began digging through the refuse.

I called out, "They're warped!"

One of the kids yelled back, "I don't care!"

"It's Air Supply and Barry Mannilow!" I called back.

"I love that stuff!" Another guy yelled.

So we walked away, shaking our heads. People will truly take anything as long as it's free. I don't know what, if anything, they did with the records. Perhaps my wife's collection got a second life in some hipster's Boston apartment.

Probably not.

Along with the what Michel showed I've seen coasters made by cutting out the center label. And oh boy, the coaster is 2 sided. I've also seen clocks make out of LPs since there's a convenient hole in the middle of the record. I've seen the jackets made into tote bags.