Latest Japanese Re-issues from Hiroshi

Head Man

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mystery solved; the Dexter Gordon CD does indeed contain Dial recordings. I found this description in Japanese on the CD Japan site:

ザ・チェイス/デクスター・ゴードン・オン・ダイアル/ デクスター・ゴードン (The Chase / Dexter Gordon on Dial / Dexter Gordon)

[ジャズ名盤 ベスト&モア 999シリーズ 第5弾] テナーの巨人デクスター・ゴードンの初期時代を集大成したダイアル・セッション。歴史的に名高いワーデル・グレイとの「ザ・チェイス」の初録音、テディ・エドワーズとの「ザ・デュアル」セッションなど聴き応えのあるテナー・バトルが楽しめる。

The Google translation was too weird to post here, but the description does mention Dexter Gordon's first recording on Dial; it also mentions Wardell Gray and Teddy Edwards.

Edited by J.A.W.

Some interesting items!

I highly recommend TOCJ 50244 Blakey,Art(ds)/Gypsy Folk Tales 999, which was to me the very best of the latter Jazz Messenger albums, Bobby Watson's (and Valeri Ponomarev's) first with the group, along Walter Davis, Davy Schnitter, and Dennis Irwin . A 1977 Roulette release which has been very difficult to find on CD up until now. Feature's Watson's spectacular "Time Will Tell" and Davis's wonderful "Jodi". At 59 minutes, this was a very long LP, bursting with creativity and joy.

Also interesting (and very surprising) to see the CD release of two of the three albums by The Fourth Way, a late 60's-early 70's West Coast proto-fusion group with violinist Michael White, Keyboardist Mike Nock, bassist Ron McClure, and drummer Eddie Marshall. Not worth Japanese import prices to me, but a good listen nonetheless.

Roy Haynes' People is seeing its first compact disc issue? An interesting batch for sure. My one hesitation is that Japanese issues these days (at least the last 999¥ TOCJ batch, and at least on my system) seem overly compressed and loud. But never mind that. Gems indeed!

Edited by Late

Mystery solved; the Dexter Gordon CD does indeed contain Dial recordings. I found this description in Japanese on the CD Japan site:

ザ・チェイス/デクスター・ゴードン・オン・ダイアル/ デクスター・ゴードン (The Chase / Dexter Gordon on Dial / Dexter Gordon)

[ジャズ名盤 ベスト&モア 999シリーズ 第5弾] テナーの巨人デクスター・ゴードンの初期時代を集大成したダイアル・セッション。歴史的に名高いワーデル・グレイとの「ザ・チェイス」の初録音、テディ・エドワーズとの「ザ・デュアル」セッションなど聴き応えのあるテナー・バトルが楽しめる。

The Google translation was too weird to post here, but the description does mention Dexter Gordon's first recording on Dial; it also mentions Wardell Gray and Teddy Edwards.

makes sense as the Erroll Garner release "Cocktail Time" (50216) is a Dial 10" (205) although the DG 10" (204) is just called Dexter Gordon & "The Chase" was not included on the original LP!!

"The Chase" was actually included on a Various Artists 10" (211) called Mr Saxophone

Edited by romualdo

I highly recommend TOCJ 50244 Blakey,Art(ds)/Gypsy Folk Tales 999, which was to me the very best of the latter Jazz Messenger albums, Bobby Watson's (and Valeri Ponomarev's) first with the group, along Walter Davis, Davy Schnitter, and Dennis Irwin . A 1977 Roulette release which has been very difficult to find on CD up until now. Feature's Watson's spectacular "Time Will Tell" and Davis's wonderful "Jodi". At 59 minutes, this was a very long LP, bursting with creativity and joy.

Totally agree. Whilst not in the top flight of Jazz Messengers groups or recordings, this one came out in the middle of a very fallow period for modern jazz in general and hard bop in particular. It initiated more than a little tapping of feet 'back in the day'.

The UK LP issue came out on Pye and wasn't the greatest, sonically (a bit lacking in depth and with Dennis Irwin's bass on the boomy side). Hope that the CD sound does it justice !

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...

TOCJ 50152 Adderley,Cannonball(as)/Live ! 999

[...]

TOCJ 50156 Adderley,Cannonball(as)/Live ! 999

While it is great that this album finally is coming out on CD, I'm not sure that I need it twice!

TOCJ 50152's title indicates of course that the session was not recorded in a studio, while the little-known TOCJ 50156 is actually an imperative to the infirm.

And what album is that anyway? Or what albums, if there are indeed two?

CA16_Live!.jpg

It was the first album he recorded for Capitol (but not the first released). It is a fine live album with his sextet with Charles Lloyd and Joe Zawinul. The style is still similar to the Riversides that preceded it. It was recorded over three nights in July-August 1964 at Shelly's Manne-Hole, so one could hope that more exists in the Capitol vaults than the five tracks that were on the LP.

CA16_Live!.jpg

It was the first album he recorded for Capitol (but not the first released). It is a fine live album with his sextet with Charles Lloyd and Joe Zawinul. The style is still similar to the Riversides that preceded it. It was recorded over three nights in July-August 1964 at Shelly's Manne-Hole, so one could hope that more exists in the Capitol vaults than the five tracks that were on the LP.

Great cover!

As for additional music: would be cool... but a Japanese reissue won't include any, will it?

Japanese reissues have occasionally included extra material - like the George Shearing that was discussed recently - but mostly not.

In that case one can hope that TOCJ 50156 is a Volume 2 with unreleased material...

any news there?

just nosing around on dustygroove.com and can find only one listing there:

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=npktf49xt3&ref=browse.php&refQ=incl_oos%3D1%26amp%3Bincl_cs%3D1%26amp%3Bkwfilter%3Dcannonball%2Badderley%2Blive

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an important message from Hiroshi:

Hi there,

I'm afraid I'm going to close down my shop on January 31,2012. I'm very sorry for that.

I have loved sharing my life with you.

The following CDs are scheduled for release (prices are quoted in JY):

December 14, 2011

DIW 3034 Abe,Kaoru(as)/Solo Live At Gaya Vol.1 2000

DIW 3035 Abe,Kaoru(as)/Solo Live At Gaya Vol.2 2000

DIW 3036 Abe,Kaoru(as)/Solo Live At Gaya Vol.3 2000

DIW 3037 Abe,Kaoru(as)/Solo Live At Gaya Vol.4 2000

DIW 3038 Abe,Kaoru(as)/Solo Live At Gaya Vol.5 2000

DIW 3039 Abe,Kaoru(as)/Solo Live At Gaya Vol.6 2000

DIW 3040 Abe,Kaoru(as)/Solo Live At Gaya Vol.7 2000

DIW 3041 Abe,Kaoru(as)/Solo Live At Gaya Vol.8 2000

DIW 3042 Abe,Kaoru(as)/Solo Live At Gaya Vol.9 2000

DIW 3043 Abe,Kaoru(as)/Solo Live At Gaya Vol.10 2000

December 21, 2011

CDSOL 1472 Yamamoto,Hozan(Bamboo Flute)& Hideshi,Takatani(g)/Daiginjo 3150

PROZ 1009/10 Vaughan,Sarah(vo)/Sassy Swings Tenderly 2500

NBCD 022 Shima & Shikou Duo/Road To The Deep North 2500

January 11, 2012

TECH 25278 Ito,Kimiko(vo)/Sincerely 2500

TACS 0030 Marie,Inger(vo)/For You 2300

KICJ 624 Jimbo,Akira(ds)/Smile Smile 3000

KICJ 625 Jimbo,Akira(ds)/Jimbo De Cover 3000

TOCT 28029 Hirado,Yusuke(p)/Speak Own Words 2800

TOCP 54345 Little Willies,The/The Little Willies 1500

TOCP 71220 Little Willies,The/For The Good Times 2300

TOCP 54359 Roxy Music/Stranded 1500

Edited by B. Goren.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Re. these December TOCJs - as we are saying there is quite a lot of material seemingly new to CD. Has anyone worked it out systematically what is new and worth bothering about. These are available now and very soon they will be gone so it is time to set priorities!

Very soon (January 31) Hiroshi's business will be gone and it'll be a bit more difficult to get any Japanese releases.

Edited by J.A.W.

Re. these December TOCJs - as we are saying there is quite a lot of material seemingly new to CD. Has anyone worked it out systematically what is new and worth bothering about. These are available now and very soon they will be gone so it is time to set priorities!

Very soon (January 31) Hiroshi's business will be gone and it'll be a bit more difficult to get any Japanese releases.

True, but there are ways...

• 1 month later...

There are 2 batches of Atlantic reissues coming (April/May I think) via Warner Japan (24bit under 1000yen) - have seen them on CD Japan - havn't found a full listing yet but some nice material there

Will finally be able to get the Milt Jackson/Lucky Thompson material I've been waiting for

Anyone able to source the full release lists?

many thanks Jason

I had looked on the HMV site & like CD Japan found a number of these but couldn't create a list

Where did you find the search criterion WPCR27?