Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since you folks are talking about avant-garde jazz,could you recommend

me something similar like Tony Oxley's The Baptised Traveller?

It's an AMAZING album and I'd really like to hear something similar.I also

recently bought Oxley's "4 Compositions for Sextet" but didn't like it

very much.

The two Oxley CBS records are very different from one another; "Baptised Traveller" is the most 'straight' Oxley recording I know of (not counting the Ronnie Scott and Gordon Beck dates). You might like early Spontaneous Music Ensemble records like "Challenge" (reissued on Emanem), or the Howard Riley CBS records. The first couple of Ray Russell albums ("Turn Circle" and "Dragon Hill") might hit the spot for that reflective-yet-tough freebop sound. Tenorist Alan Skidmore's "TCB," on Philips and recently cut to CD, might also be of interest.

But as for Oxley, I'd give "Four Compositions" another listen, as well as his later dates for RCA-Victor, Incus and other labels. The process of his composition is interesting, especially since he revisits some of the tunes later in different contexts.

Enjoy.

Thanks Brownie, but "the links in your link" aren't working either, even with my firewall disabled. Anyway, according to the Verge site there's some vocalizing on the Tsahar disc; I hate that, so I think I'd better pass. Pity.

The link works fine from my computer.

And my computer is so work-oriented that it won't let me play the Penguin Baseball game on the Miscellaneous Non-Political Forum :o

THAT link does not work from my computer.

Thanks Brownie, but "the links in your link" aren't working either, even with my firewall disabled. Anyway, according to the Verge site there's some vocalizing on the Tsahar disc; I hate that, so I think I'd better pass. Pity.

The link works fine from my computer.

And my computer is so work-oriented that it won't let me play the Penguin Baseball game on the Miscellaneous Non-Political Forum :o

THAT link does not work from my computer.

The link in your post works fine on my computer too, it's the links on the futuraetmarge home page that don't work.

wtf is tuvan throat singing? :wacko:

----------

B00000207X.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Listening to Charles Gayle's "More Live" (Knit). Pretty exciting stuff! Though I think I like the Coltrane homage with Rashied Ali a little bit better.

Found the latest Intakt Evan Parker/Barry Guy 2CD set new for 10CHF yesterday! No chance to listen yet. The booklet has an intersting interview with the two, trying to find words to explain what they're doing musically, and also just refreshing memories of how they came to know each other etc.

It's this one: http://www.intaktrec.ch/guyparker-a.htm

ubu

On the Tsahar tip, I'd recommend Ein Sof (trio with Parker and Ibarra), Deals, Ideas, and Ideals (trio with Kowald and Ali), and The Hollow World (7 horns + drums). The trio set with Kowald is probably the most attention-grabbing, but all are worthwhile. The only Tsahar I have that I probably wouldn't recommend is his solo Ayn-le Any. Not a bad disc really, but there are so many other solo horn outings that I'd reach for first.

On the Tsahar tip, I'd recommend Ein Sof (trio with Parker and Ibarra), Deals, Ideas, and Ideals (trio with Kowald and Ali), and The Hollow World (7 horns + drums). The trio set with Kowald is probably the most attention-grabbing, but all are worthwhile. The only Tsahar I have that I probably wouldn't recommend is his solo Ayn-le Any. Not a bad disc really, but there are so many other solo horn outings that I'd reach for first.

I haven't heard any of those....more to add to my list. I would recommend Soul Bodies vol.1, a duet session with Hamid Drake released on Ayler as well as Come Sunday, also a duet session, this time with percussionist Tatsya Nakatani, released on Hopscotch.

John, if you already like Tsahar's playing, you'll especially like those two trio recordings. The Hollow World is good too, but takes a little more getting used to. In some ways, it's like a modern (not duplicate, but extension of) Ascension, though notably without bass and piano.

For some reason, I tend to explore new music by label. Recently, I've been interested in Rastascan, but, apart from Arcana Major, don't know anything from this label's output. Any suggestions, good links?

Anyone have Gebbia's People in Motion?

Edited by Late

Is it just me or is Fritz Hauser a damn good drummer?

I've been listening to his work with Urs Liemgrumer and, after listening to some very talented bangers, it's really nice to listen to a drummer with such a light and imaginative touch.

Can anyone recommend other disks with Hauser but perhaps without Liemgruber? (Not that I don't like Liemgruber -- I DO -- I'm just wondering what Hauser sounds like without his musical blood brother.)

Anyone heard Solodrumming?

fritzhauser11.jpg

www.fritzhauser.ch

VIDEO compliments of DRUMMERWORLD

Can anyone recommend other disks with Hauser but perhaps without Liemgruber?

Nope, they're joined at the hip. You must hear Quartet Noir, if you haven't already. And L'ENIGUEMATIQUES, or however the hell you spell that, has some of the finest percussion work I've ever heard. You probably have those already.

Yep Nate. L'enigmatique is exactly the disk I was listening to just prior to my Hauser post above. I also have the Quartet Noir disk but haven't had but one listen as of yet.

Thanks for the links Late. I believe I'll pick up Solodrumming along with a bunch of other older but cheap Hat titles offered by Cadence. Some time in March though as my CD fund for February has been depleted.