My cellphone has a new wrinkle!

Yesterday, I put my Motorola cellphone in my jacket pocket and stepped out for a half hour. I left the phone in mu pocket overnight, as I often do, but look what happened to it! This morning, this is what I pulled out of my pocket. Mind you, there was nothing else in that pocket, the top side and battery compartment are totally unaffected, and the phone functions normally.

Can anyone explain?

Wrinkledcellphone.jpg

Gives new meaning to Hot Pocket, eh?

Edited by Christiern

Where did you hang your jacket when it wasn't on your person? :ph34r:

A few weekends ago I met a woman from D.C. who was hot enough to melt that phone if it were in my jacket and I draped it across her shoulders! ;)

Edited by jazzbo

It looks like the battery overheated, but only that thin plastic layer of the enclosure is more sensitive to the heat.

That makes sense, Claude. The sides are unaffected, but if you look at the vent-like part (bottom of photo), it looks like heat might have been coming out of those holes.

Those holes look like they are for the speaker in hands-free mode.

That is bizarre. Never seen anything like it. Generally, when the battery fries, the phone stops working. If it's working normally, it's likely that the battery did not fry.

Maybe what happened is that it was transmitting at full power for too long. However, if that happened, I would think that the battery would die way before the phone "melted". I used to have a Motorola phone back in the AMPS (analog) Verizon days and it would get very hot if I used it in that mode for a long time. But the battery would die in about 15 minutes in full AMPS mode.

Seems like the housing is made of plastic and not lacquered but coated with a thin layer of plastic that came off under certain condiditons - it's put on like a shrink wrap. Looks like it wasn't done properly and came off. If it still works, it must not have overheated, but I would have it checked in any case.