Just Norah

Dave James

The last few times I've been in e-Bay, I noticed an advertisement on their home page for "New Norah, Live in New York." Can it be that Norah Jones has actually crossed the mythical line that differentiates those who are known by two names from those who are known by one? That would place her in the rarified atmosphere occupied by the likes of Price, Pele, Madonna, Cher and Sting. My Lordy me...that's a long ways to travel on the basis of just one album.

Up over and out.

Couldn't say whether Nora has truly made it to only one name necessary territory yet but I thought this would be as good a place as any to mention that I enjoyed hearing her sing Magic Sam's "All Your Love" (NOT to be confused with the Otis Rush song of the same name) on some opportunistic album of live recordings of some band whe used to be in..."Love is one thing, baby, you won't find on the ground".

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Yeah, but what kills me is his middle name. What an amazing name...

Thelonious Sphere Monk. B)

Ultra cool!!!!!!!!!!!! :tup:tup:tup

Have you seen the Straight No Chaser Thelonious video? Back in the day, Monk was just cool as hell. He had the hat, the dark sunglasses, the quirky touch on the piano. Nobody was cooler than Monk.

I always laugh out loud when I watch the video during the film clip where Monk is asking for liver in France. Monk = funny & cool as hell.

I'm not sure I've ever encountered any reference to anyone else named Thelonious. Is it otherwise an obscure, but previously documented name?? (Prior to Monk having been named Thelonious??)

Also, on that same subject -- Ornette sure is a unique name, and one that I've never seen in reference to anyone other than the Ornette. Same question: was this a 'made-up' name?? - or had anyone ever been named "Ornette" before Ornette was??

Rooster -

If you have kids you've probably watched "Shrek" a thousand times. The executioner (very minor character) is named Thelonious - obviously a jazz fan amongst the creators of this film.

...and anyone remember this classic interview soundbite?

Tabitha Soren: "Who's your favorite musician?"

Bill Clinton: "Thelonious Monk."

Tabitha Soren: "Who's the loneliest monk?"

...and anyone remember this classic interview soundbite?

Tabitha Soren: "Who's your favorite musician?"

Bill Clinton: "Thelonious Monk."

Tabitha Soren: "Who's the loneliest monk?"

Aggie,

I've never known if this is a true story or not, but my understanding was always that Soren did not embarass herself during the interview but rather, afterwards, she screamed to her assistant, "who the hell is the loneliest monk?"

If you actually saw that interview and heard that exchange as you remember it, that's the first time I've heard it described that way.

Dan - I was paraphrasing from memory. You're probably right that her comments were post-interview, or off camera, or something to that effect. There appear to be a couple of different variations on this tale floating around on-line:

1. "During Bill Clinton's first presidential campaign, he was doing an interview with Tabitha Soren of MTV. Soren asked him if there was anything he dreamt of doing. Clinton replied that he had always wanted to play sax with Thelonious Monk. Soren screwed on her best smart-girl face and replied, "And who was the loneliest monk?""

2. "Consider the story (probably apocryphal) about MTV correspondent Tabitha Soren, covering President Bill Clinton: When Clinton, an amateur saxophone player, referred in a press conference to Theolonius Monk, Soren allegedly turned to an older reporter next to her and asked, "Who’s the loneliest monk?" "

I don't recall exactly what was said, just remember the incident.

copied this from some site:

Thomas Fitterling, in Thelonious Monk: His Life and Music (1997), points out that Monk's middle name, "Sphere," derives from his maternal grandmother, Sphere Batts. Not a hipster's cool affectation, "Sphere" was part of Monk's given name according to family documents. Monk didn't learn his middle name until the 1940s, when those documents made their way from North Carolina to New York, and: "From then on he used it as a hip accessory. He would joke that owing to his middle name he could never be called a 'square'." (Fitterling, 20.)

I remembered something about a saint called Thelonius and that name being derived of the German Till. Google-a-goog et voilà:

Catholic Online Saints

St. Tillo

Feastday: January 7

Benedictine monk, also called Theau in France, Filman in Flanders, Belgium, and Hillonius in Germany. A native of Saxony, he was kidnapped by raiders and brought to the Low Countries as a slave. Ransomed by St. Eligius of Noyon, he entered the Benedictines at Solignac, where he received ordination, and labored as a missionary in the regions around Courtrai, France. He became a recluse at Solignac in his later years.

He would joke that owing to Monk's middle name he could never be called a 'square'.

B) B) B) B) B)

So, does anybody know the origin of the name Ornette??? I don't, and I'm wondering if it's a made-up name, or if it was ever used before the jazz Ornette got named with it.

On an unrelated note -- I read somewhere that Oprah Winfrey's name was a mispelling (misunderstanding, or mis-remembering correctly) of the bibical name "Orpah".

"Nica's Pad"

completely off topic: This reminds me of the editing out of the "And I still remember Mama with her apron & her pad feeding all the boys at Ed's Cafe!" from the WOIIFT$ album by the Mothers of Invention by the record company 'cause they thought "pad" referred to sanitary napkins.

So, does anybody know the origin of the name Ornette???  I don't, and I'm wondering if it's a made-up name, or if it was ever used before the jazz Ornette got named with it.

On an unrelated note -- I read somewhere that Oprah Winfrey's name was a mispelling (misunderstanding, or mis-remembering correctly) of the bibical name "Orpah".

Well, "Oprah" always seemed to me very close phonetically to "Ofra" (as in Israeli singer Ofra Hazan) and "Aphra" (as in 17th century English writer Aphra Behn) -- so I googled my way to a website called

http://www.20000-names.com/female_hebrew_names_02.htm

where I found this

ORPAH, OPHRA, OPHRAH, OPRAH:  means either "she who turns her back," or "fawn."

AND this!

ORNAH, ORNETTE, ORNETTA, ORNA:  cedar tree

and on the "male_hebrew_names" page, this:

ORI, ORNEET, ORNET:  my light