Ellington 1930s big-band Mosaic

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found that you can pinch the tines in and they will loosen up and stay loosened. I'd much rather risk the disc being loose in the case than clumsy me breaking one.

I've made my way through disc 5 and I'm happy to say that I have not found anything in the sound to object to. I'll grant I'm not as discerning as some but I think it sounds pretty darn good. I've heard objections that they didn't use the masters, but judging from the notes I would gather that the masters re no longer available. I don't have a problem with Lasker's notes, either. I like the historical approach. Musicological notes would have resulted in a booklet of unwieldy length and bulk.

Edited by Pete B

I don't think you can blame Mosaic itself -- they don't manufacture/package the discs. In this case, the manufacturer is Sony. (EMI for Capitols, Universal for Verves, etc.) It's definitely a careful operation to remove them first thing.

I'm listening right now to Disc 5 (Reminiscing In Tempo) on my computer (quite reasonable sound, no complaints) but the Windows Media Player doesn't show any artist or track titles, just track numbers and lengths. I wonder is other players would show it? (This is Windows 7).

Received my set today (way down in Australia)

Very happy with the sound, though I am listening to converted MP3 files on my Mac (Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks & jellyfish woofer)

Those middle discs in boxes 1 & 2 are a trifle tight!!

This set will certainly achieve "Classic" status

Am I the only one having trouble getting the discs off those things in the middle of the dish they come in? .

What a nightmare! I cracked a disc, two years ago, and this time is even worse. I forced the plastic "pins" inward: now the discs are loose, but safe.

For me personaly if Mosaic desides to do more Ellington I would like the Okeh/Pathé/Plaza 25-31 period first, then Columbia 47-52 and then Columbia 56-62 (spread over several sets). The Victors should always be available, but they have been available (almost)complete in the big RCA box.

The 25-31 period, in addition to Classics, were remastered by Davies (if I remember well) in two Jsp 4-discs sets: I have only the first, not so good. I'd like a lot a Mosaic box of the same material, if it were possible a real sonic improvement. With a great booklet in the Mosaic style, of course.

The sound quality is pretty good on those, though if Mosaic were to put these out they'd sound better due to changes in mastering, and the type of source search Mosaic follows.

Good luck finding those, I bought these about the time of release the ONLY time I've ever seen them for sale.

Perhaps I should send Mosaic a suggestion. Do you all think it's a viable project?

Yes it is. I already did suggest it. Scott wrote me "It would have to wait until the 30s set has been out for a while as we dont like to saturate our catalog". Please make the suggestion the more support it gets might get it on the to-do-list. There are plenty of takes on labels like Up-to-date and unissued takes mentioned in the New DESOR. That would make this set more than a straight reissue of (well)known material.

Remco

Edited by Stompy Jones

The sound quality is pretty good on those, though if Mosaic were to put these out they'd sound better due to changes in mastering, and the type of source search Mosaic follows.

Good luck finding those, I bought these about the time of release the ONLY time I've ever seen them for sale.

I found them at the Jazz Corner in Paris a few years back and snapped them up. They are pretty rare. Columbia also put out the material on a series of 2-LP "World of Duke Ellington" sets a number of years ago, so they've been done a few times.

I too would like to see the Okeh material from '25-31 done right, but with the 2-cd (incomplete) set still available, I don't imagine there's much chance of it.

gregmo

The 25-31 period, in addition to Classics, were remastered by Davies (if I remember well) in two Jsp 4-discs sets: I have only the first, not so good. I'd like a lot a Mosaic box of the same material, if it were possible a real sonic improvement. With a great booklet in the Mosaic style, of course.

Are you referring to the JSP 4CD set (924) : DE, Vol. 1 1926-29 - Mrs Clinkscales To The Cotton Club (2005 release) ? - There is no mention on the box or CD's as to who was responsible for the remastering. JSP usually advertise on their merchandise especially if Davies or Kendall were involved.

There is also a second 4CD set that is just a compilation of later material.

Are you referring to the JSP 4CD set (924) : DE, Vol. 1 1926-29 - Mrs Clinkscales To The Cotton Club (2005 release) ? - There is no mention on the box or CD's as to who was responsible for the remastering. JSP usually advertise on their merchandise especially if Davies or Kendall were involved.

There is also a second 4CD set that is just a compilation of later material.

If John R.T. Davies or Ted Kendall aren't explicitly mentioned on JSP boxes, they weren't involved in any way.

Got my Ellington set a couple of days ago. It's a wonderful set with quite a few recordings I didn't already have, but the sound is a disappointment, at least to my ears - it could have done with a lot less harshness, it's a bit of an earbleeder here and there. I have the same problem with the big RCA Ellington Centennial box. Pity.

Got my Ellington set a couple of days ago. It's a wonderful set with quite a few recordings I didn't already have, but the sound is a disappointment, at least to my ears - it could have done with a lot less harshness, it's a bit of an earbleeder here and there. I have the same problem with the big RCA Ellington Centennial box. Pity.

I found the sound got better (less harsh) around disk 5. Hope you will find the same thing.

I found the sound got better (less harsh) around disk 5. Hope you will find the same thing.

So far I've listened to first four discs. I hope you're right.

I just played disc 5 and the harshness was still there. I'm now listening to track 6 on disc 6 and so far the sound seems a bit better on this disc.

[edit]

The sound on disc 6 is indeed better than on the previous 5. Great music!

I just played disc 5 and the harshness was still there. I'm now listening to track 6 on disc 6 and so far the sound seems a bit better on this disc.

[edit]

The sound on disc 6 is indeed better than on the previous 5. Great music!

Listening to disc 10 yesterday I was very happy indeed....apart from actually being able to hear Fred Guy clearly, I can hear Sonny Greer doing things I've never heard on these recordings before. And as I've always maintained...Billy Taylor has been cruelly overshadowed by Jimmy Blanton...now that we can hear him properly 'e ain't arf bad!