What's making you smile right now?

Don't want to forget all those reasons to smile, music among them.

Today, Fathers' Day, I'm in a hardscrabble neighborhood of Chicago. Walking into a shop behind (apparently) a mother and daughter. The kid's about five. Two doors, one after the other, to get into the shop. Mom's leading; daughter's holding her hand, but a step behind.

Mom and daughter heading through the doors. I'm a five steps behind them. Daughter spots me and, still holding Mom's hand, slows her down to hold the door for me. She's smiling. I thank her.

Mom and daughter shopping. A little accident occurs. I fear there's going to be a little butt whipping. But no, a hug.

Mom and daughter finish shopping and head for the door, hands full. I open and hold the door for them. Daughter thanks me.

No, not a dazzling story. But I'm old and jaded and figure kids aren't being brought up with manners any more. Especially when (it appears) that life is rough, economically and otherwise. I was only too happy to be wrong here.

So what's making you smile today?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Talking with my parents on the phone and my mon sounding much better, stronger and mroe energetic, than ever before this year. That operation to place a shunt in her cranial cavity to alleviate her Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus has really brought about improvement in mobility and congnitive actions.

Yeah, echo happy father's day to all too. My older daughter read me a father's day book today-it made me tear up. It had to be the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me, and made me remember all the important things in life. Needless to say, it made me smile from ear to ear.

Talking with my parents on the phone and my mon sounding much better, stronger and mroe energetic, than ever before this year. That operation to place a shunt in her cranial cavity to alleviate her Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus has really brought about improvement in mobility and congnitive actions.

Been kind of tired today, but this made me smile. Good news, Lon!

Great thread, great reminder that the small things in life can be the best!

Right now, the first clear blue sky Philly has seen in what feels like weeks is making me smile, as is the fact that I had a great weekend with Laura, I'm at work before anybody else and rocking some tunes, and the week feels like it will be speedy and rather manageable!

Took a trip last week to spend time with my parents, that made me smile. My aunt and uncle were there as well, so even more of a smile. Returned home to see my dog (and my lady ;) ) so smiles continued through the weekend.

Back in the office today, have new business opportunities, so a partial smile remains. Smile will disappear though as I am reminded that a contractor is going to be spending the next three to five days disrupting my life as he repairs the bathroom ceiling of my condo that was damaged from a broken water pipe above our unit.

I'll find something else to smile about and report back. :w

didn't really smile for a bunch of days, then had a few beers and read this glorious interiew with gerry wiggins

http://www.archive.org/stream/centralavenu...00wigg_djvu.txt

and it really really helped... ; don't know his music but he comes across as a real cool guy

NICE!

also art farmer, coney woodman and bill green

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=cr...0interviewer%22

Too many things to count over just the last few days. But a couple of highlights:

Driving north with Rachel to spend Father's Day with my family. We pulled over at the last rest stop before reaching Higgins Lake, which is nicely set amongst some tall pines, the aroma of which says "home" to me. As I stood there breathing it all in, a little girl in a pretty dress and her even smaller brother ran from the parking lot into the trees, she taking a winding course around and back with him following every step as fast as his little legs could take him.

A photo reproduced from our family slide sets of me and my dad circa 1973, when I was about 3. We're sitting in the mountain snows of colorado, wearing t-shirts in the bright sun, smiling at the camera like everything's right with the world. And so it was.

My 87-year old grandma saying, "that Rush Limbaugh, he's a trouble maker!"

All the appreciation and energy we got back from our audiences this past week.