Carmell Jones and Randy Weston Selects in "Running Low"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to Yves ( :tup ) and his spare set and a bit of holiday I've just cranked up the Carmell Jones Mosaic Select on the CD player. And what an excellent Select it is. Soundwise very good - Ron McMaster did a good job. Even though I've got most of it on LP it's good to have this music collated conveniently. Harold Land's playing is - as ever - a standout and I'm looking forward to hearing the 'Folk Music' session.

As a young record buyer in 1963, I avoided this album like the plague. Every time I looked at the tunes, The Kingston Trio ran through my head.

I hear you ! (or rather, I hear Mr Cuscuna). Just seeing the mention of 'Tom Dooley' and 'Hava Nagila' would have me running a mile. I'm looking forward to hearing what they make of these two tunes.

Must have been something in the air back in 1963. Wasn't that the year that Miles did 'Basin St Blues'?

Edited by sidewinder

As a young record buyer in 1963, I avoided this album like the plague. Every time I looked at the tunes, The Kingston Trio ran through my head.

I hear you ! (or rather, I hear Mr Cuscuna). Just seeing the mention of 'Tom Dooley' and 'Hava Nagila' would have me running a mile. I'm looking forward to hearing what they make of these two tunes.

Must have been something in the air back in 1963. Wasn't that the year that Miles did 'Basin St Blues'?

You guys should then definitely give this one a chance - with Teddy Edwards it features another unsung tenor sax giant.

520619.jpg

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6729926 (via org link)

The playlist:

1. Hava Nagila

2. Bei Mir Bist du Schoen

3. Yossel, Yossel

4. Zamar Nodad

5. Bokrei Lachish

6. Tzena

7. Exodus

8. Die Greene Koseene

9. My Yiddishe Momme

10. Orchah Bamidbar

11. Zamar Nodad - (single edit)

12. Exodus - (single edit)

13. Tzena - (single edit)

14. Hava Nagila - (single edit)

Modern Jazz Versions Of Favori Te Jewish & Israeli Songs

Recorded at Contemporary Studio, Los Angeles, California, December 17-20, 1962.

Personnel: Shelly Manne (drums); Al Viola (guitar); Teddy Edwards (tenor saxophone); Shorty ... Full DescriptionRogers (trumpet, flugelhorn); Victor Feldman (piano, vibraphone); Monty Budwig (double bass).

Recording information: Contemporary Studios, Los Angeles, California (12/17/1962 - 12/20/1962)

• 4 weeks later...

In this particular case, it could sell out any minute!

Ahh, thanks.

Might have to let it go then. Grabbing a few sets during the recent out-of-print buying frenzy has left me short on current funds. Guess I'll have to start saving my pennies for the Bennie Green set instead.

(I want the Green set more than the Weston, but the Weston did sound interesting.)

Try to get them both. . . I like both, but I like the Weston a bit more.

Who knows. . . last chance. . .may be there for a week or so. Or you may be able to call and have them hold a set for you (?)

It would be sad to see them both go, as I doubt this material will show up on cd for a while when they're gone.

• 4 weeks later...

Who knows. . . last chance. . .may be there for a week or so. Or you may be able to call and have them hold a set for you (?)

It would be sad to see them both go, as I doubt this material will show up on cd for a while when they're gone.

I decided to let the Carmell Jones and Randy Weston Selects go. The Carmell for some reason ran out quicker and I dealt with it, but damn! the Weston's lasted a month and I couldn't take it any more. It was like it was waiting for me. Anyway, despite only liking my Pure Pleasure vinyl reissue of Little Niles I decided to buy the Weston Select. OK - now you can go OOP little fella. : )

Pulled it out the other day for the Five Spot date. Great stuff.

I think the on-location engineering is great , the music itself merely good , given the talent involved . Brock Peters I find simply dreadful .

Coincidentally , I just noticed that today is the 50th anniversary of this recording .

Happily, I was able to pick up both the Randy Weston and the Bennie Green sets.

I paid for the Weston myself, then convinced a family member to buy the Green for me as a Christmas present. I can't actually open it before then, but at least I know that I won't miss out.

Great! I'm glad you got them both. You're going to like the Bennie Green!

Cool. I actually have the Soul Stirrin' material from that set, but I haven't heard a note of the rest of it.

Anyone have thoughts on which other in-print Selects are particularly good? Along with the Weston and Green, I have the Amy and Tolliver sets. I was thinking maybe the Onzy Matthews or the Bobby Hutcherson. The John Handy looks interesting too, but since it just came out, I figure I have a bit of time on that one.

Pulled it out the other day for the Five Spot date. Great stuff.

I think the on-location engineering is great , the music itself merely good , given the talent involved . Brock Peters I find simply dreadful .

Coincidentally , I just noticed that today is the 50th anniversary of this recording .

Well, I was in the mood to hear Bean and he comes through fine to me on that one.