Carmell Jones and Randy Weston Selects in "Running Low"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 'em both, and love 'em both -- but I especially think the Carmell set is really fantastic.

All of the sessions on Disc #2 were arranged by Gerald Wilson (two albums worth), mostly material for larger small groups (like 9 musicians).

Don't miss out!!

Yup, it's a stealth Harold Land Mosaic too. :wub:

Why are some titles (such as the Hutcherson which I was going to order soon) listed as being on back order? Has this happened with Mosaic before?

Bertrand.

Yes, this has been the case with several boxes, sometimes for many months (the Crusaders comes to mind).

The Weston is a terrific set!

The Carmell Jones is fine, too, of course, but if I had to pick just one of these, the Weston would definitely be my choice... great playing by Johnny Griffin, Kenny Dorham, Coleman Hawkins, Cecil Payne, Roy Haynes and others, and on disc 3 you get two of the most fascinating big band projects/albums of that era, "African Highlife" and "Uhuru Africa", both full of great playing by a bunch of soloists, including Budd Johnson, Ray Copeland, Julius Watkins, Booker Ervin, Yusef Lateef, Freddie Hubbard, and many others.

I ordered the Weston because I had pretty much all the music but wanted to be nice to Mosaic.

You're being nice to yourself - you will like the unreleased quartet session with Cecil Payne!

Oh yeah! One of the big attractions of the Select was to get the live set with Coleman Hawkins, but the session with Cecil Payne...phew! If I wasn't so enthralled when I play it I'd work at founding the Society For The Advancement & Popularization Of Baritone Saxophonists. What a terrific set!

I'll be fascinated to see what kind of prices the Selects start to command on ebay. As much as the big boxes? Makes sense, yet seems somehow hard to imagine.

Yeah, we'll see.

Well in part it depends how much of the material can be alternatively sourced. How much is the Moncur going for? It's been OOP a while. Only one session from that is otherwise unavailable.

The Select series is designed to lure collectors with its prominent numbering system, so you can be sure a certain category of buyer will pay over the odds for missing sets early in the sequence. However, it may be that since many of these sets are of strictly minority interest musically speaking, and also lack the physical attractiveness of the big boxes, that we won't see much of that.

• 2 weeks later...