Your favorite vinyl stores

Hardbopjazz

It wasn't a keeper copy... I was told that Honest Jon's moved, but did not bother with it. I forgot the name of the other place around the corner that I visited - another "basement rarities" deal, with ringworn Muse LPs at insane prices!

Sad to hear - sounds like London has totally lost the plot (it's a while since I was in town). For the first time that I can recall, the regions now have significantly better selection as far as jazz is concerned. Prices always were insane for vinyl in London - other than the late-lamented Mole and the old Honest Jon's that is.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprisingly, I found Montreal a good used vinyl town, or at least bins weren't full of dreck at outrageous prices. I especially found the stores that catered to Francophones interesting (I figured French people would be big into jazz, and one used-cd and bookstore was awesome). Even the used shops in Montreal seemed to be segregated between Anglo and Franco clientele based on the neighborhood.

Surprisingly, I found Montreal a good used vinyl town, or at least bins weren't full of dreck at outrageous prices. I especially found the stores that catered to Francophones interesting (I figured French people would be big into jazz, and one used-cd and bookstore was awesome). Even the used shops in Montreal seemed to be segregated between Anglo and Franco clientele based on the neighborhood.

I should add, that where I live, the DC/Baltimore area the LP selection ain't too hot, although my regular, the CD Cellar on Wilson Blvd in Arlington (Virginia), occasionally has good stuff, but jazz is rarely replenished. They also inherited the stock of the now closed Orpheus Records (which had prices that were generally too high).

Jazz Record Center, owned by Fred Cohen, is around 26th street or so in New York City. If you like vintage jazz vinyl, he has quite a varied collection, including some pricey, hard to find releases from the 1950s and stuff I've never seen anywhere else.

I was rather unimpressed during my one visit to Academy, on the other hand.

Colony Records, on 49th and Broadway. I haven't been there in years, but they did have a large selection but somewhat pricey.

The only time I ever went there (to kill time before a set at Iridium) they were charging collector's prices for run-of-the mill in-print, non-collectible CDs. Full price new CDs were $20 or so, and midline-priced discs which should be at no more than $11.98 were going for $15.

Colony Records, on 49th and Broadway. I haven't been there in years, but they did have a large selection but somewhat pricey.

The only time I ever went there (to kill time before a set at Iridium) they were charging collector's prices for run-of-the mill in-print, non-collectible CDs. Full price new CDs were $20 or so, and midline-priced discs which should be at no more than $11.98 were going for $15.

Hoppy,

With regards to CdCellar, I've been doing the best I can to replenish their jazz stock. ;)

There's Record and Tape Exchange in Fairfax, but their prices have skyrocketed -- I think they are doing too much Amazon research of prices.

And Joe's Record Paradise is still pretty reasonable, and they have been drowning in vinyl lately.

I visited one of my favorites today - Papa Jazz in Columbia, SC. Picked up vinyl by Lucky Thompson, Roswell Rudd, John LaPorta, and J.R. Monterose, as well as CDs by Carla Bley, Braxton, Jarman, and Mulligan/Desmond. I visit once a year and always find some great stuff.

And in my earlier post, I neglected to give the names of the great vinyl stores in my hometown. If you're in Atlanta, check out Wuxtry, Wax 'n' Fax, Records Galore, and the little shop a block from my house, Full Moon Records.

Papa Jazz was the one thing that kept me sane for my one semester at the University of South Carolina. Great selection and prices and I bought enough there that despite their stated policy, they'd give me full store credit on anything I brought back. In fact after I told them that I was leaving town and wouldn't be back, they gave me one of their t-shirts.

Gotta mention 'Ben's Collectors Records' in Guildford, UK for anyone who happens to be visiting there. Ben's a great guy, knows his jazz and has a nice used LP selection. He also stocks pretty well the whole of Tony Williams' Spotlite catalogue on CD as well of some of it on vinyl.

Doc's Records was a favorite when they were in the Hurst/Euless/Bedford area; haven't been to their new store in Ft. Worth to check out the new digs. Not a huge selection, but a good one at decent prices.

I'm happy to report that the new location is OH SO SWEET! Not much bigger, and we almost drove right by it as it seems to have taken residence in what was once probably someone's house. But hey, I walked outta there with three mono records for under $30, so I stand by my earlier assessment: DOC'S ROCKS!!!

I keep having dreams about Stereo Jack's. Last night I dreamt that they had an entire bin filled with nothing but different Moog albums of Beatles tunes. I was pulling out the records one by one and thinking "Where the hell did they get these?" "Why have I never heard of this album," etc.

It wasn't a dream, dude, it's true. When are you coming in to check them out? :D

I keep having dreams about Stereo Jack's. Last night I dreamt that they had an entire bin filled with nothing but different Moog albums of Beatles tunes. I was pulling out the records one by one and thinking "Where the hell did they get these?" "Why have I never heard of this album," etc.

It wasn't a dream, dude, it's true. When are you coming in to check them out? :D

I shall be in your shop tomorrow afternoon. Break out the secret stash just for me.

<_<

• 1 month later...

Guess I'm lucky - in Atlanta there are four or five good used vinyl shops, including a small, but interesting one a block from my house in the city. At most of these the owners know me and know what I like. I buy stuff online, but there's nothing like just flipping through a bunch of records and discovering stuff you had forgotten or never even knew about.

Would that be Full Moon in Candler Park? I travel to Atlanta frequently and hit Full Moon, Wuxtry, Criminal and Wax 'n' Facts while in town.

St. Louis has two biggies: Euclid Records and Vintage Vinyl. Euclid has an ungodly selection of Jazz... the primo stuff at ungodly prices. Vintage usually has a few gems tucked away at reasonable prices. Record Exchange is also huge but the selection feels like all the records that Euclid and Vintage didn't want. There are a ton of mostly CD shops as well.

Would that be Full Moon in Candler Park? I travel to Atlanta frequently and hit Full Moon, Wuxtry, Criminal and Wax 'n' Facts while in town.

Yep - I live right around the corner from Full Moon. Ted, the owner, is a good guy. Those are all great stores - Wax 'n' Facts was the site of my Tuesday vinyl orgy. Next time you're in Atlanta, also check out Records Galore in the suburb of Clarkston, about 15 or 20 minutes from Candler Park - interesting selection of mostly traditional and swing era vinyl, if you're into that stuff.

Next time you're in Atlanta, also check out Records Galore in the suburb of Clarkston, about 15 or 20 minutes from Candler Park - interesting selection of mostly traditional and swing era vinyl, if you're into that stuff.

I'm in Atlanta this week actually and did my record store crawl on Wednesday night. I was at Wuxtry... wish I had known about Records Galore since I was already out East (I stay in Vinings). Ah well, I'll be back next month.