New Mosaic Catalog

I've had the Artie Shaw Mosaic catalog for several days and I finally had a chance to look it over this weekend. Because I have some interest in the Johnny Smith set, I was curious to see if there was any mention of the fact that this set (and a number of others) are on backorder and not currently available. As it turns out, there isn't. Seems to me that's not quite right. Agree? Disagree?

Up over and out.

Maybe they're anticipating that some of these sets will soon be available again, and don't want the current catalogue to discourage people from trying to order?

But it certainly can't be a desirable situation for them...being unable to fulfill certain orders. I've been buying Mosaic sets for 13-14 years now & can't ever remember a similar situation. It might have been good to put some sort of general note addressing the issue into the new catalogue.

The Chu Berry box is listed as being backordered.

Ordered (and paid for) this several months ago and still waiting for it! The Mosaic website says it is expected later this year :mellow:

Realize that the times are hard but this does not look to me as a very good way to run a business!

Ordered (and paid for) this several months ago and still waiting for it! The Mosaic website says it is expected later this year :mellow:

Realize that the times are hard but this does not look to me as a very good way to run a business!

Even if times are hard that's very bad, if they don't have it and don't know when they're going to get it, they shouldn't have charged you.

I'm surprised that they did.... That runs counter to my experiences with them.... :unsure: :unsure:

Even if times are hard that's very bad, if they don't have it and don't know when they're going to get it, they shouldn't have charged you.

Like others I don't feel enthusiastic about ordering things that might not arrive for months. I'm also running a bit cold these days on Mosaic booklets. Yes they have good photos, but the texts are often written by people who are not musically literate, although they may have an obsessive discographical knowledge. I just don't enjoy reading that stuff and I wish Mosaic could do better. The sample notes posted on the website these days are generally putting me off.

I would call them, and ask what the situation is.

I put in a big order earlier this year, including one set that was a pre-order (and had them hold the whole thing until the pre-order item became available), and I *think* I wasn't charged until much closer to the time when it actually shipped. I may be remembering wrong -- it was only about a 6-week lag between ordering and shipment -- but I still think it would be worth a call to them. I didn't think it was their policy to charge for things that far in advance of shipment.

I have been a satisfied Mosaic customer for some 25 years. I trust Mosaic and am sure I will get the box in the end...

Must also add that it was not my bank account which was charged but my gift cards balance sheet!

Hope the wait for that Chu Berry box will come to an end soon!

Edited by brownie

I didn't think it was their policy to charge for things that far in advance of shipment.

It's never happened to me. I would think that Mosaic would be one of the last companies to do this. Debitting the gift card that Brownie mentions is more understandable though - I would suspect that even that is likely an oversight.

Like others I don't feel enthusiastic about ordering things that might not arrive for months. I'm also running a bit cold these days on Mosaic booklets. Yes they have good photos, but the texts are often written by people who are not musically literate, although they may have an obsessive discographical knowledge. I just don't enjoy reading that stuff and I wish Mosaic could do better. The sample notes posted on the website these days are generally putting me off.

I hate to say anything bad about Mosaic but I don't like the "new" look of the catalogue and it's full of typos that make some sentences difficult to understand.

They may be suffering from the credit crunch. Having orders you can't fulfill suggests their bank won't extent any credit.

I hate to say anything bad about Mosaic but I don't like the "new" look of the catalogue and it's full of typos that make some sentences difficult to understand.

They may be suffering from the credit crunch. Having orders you can't fulfill suggests their bank won't extent any credit.

Their catalogs are in need of some editing. It's not as though there's a ton of copy to sift through. It should be fairly easy to clean up.

Accounting are probably leaning on them to keep inventory low - that goes for boxes and booklets as well as discs - reordering manufacture of boxes and printing booklets can be a major headache especially if you're ordering small quantities.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered the Bird Box in February, when it was on backorder. It is still on backorder.

Oh good for you for ordering that though! I endlessly forget to include it in my nominees as since they own it it can't time out, whereas all the other big boxes can. I suppose also because there may be a few other live Parker discs I should get before this set is my thinking, along with the competition of all the other Mosaics. When I get back from vacation I intend to finally buy the Armstrong and probably add a Select too.

I ordered the Bird Box in February, when it was on backorder. It is still on backorder.

Oh good for you for ordering that though! I endlessly forget to include it in my nominees as since they own it it can't time out, whereas all the other big boxes can. I suppose also because there may be a few other live Parker discs I should get before this set is my thinking, along with the competition of all the other Mosaics. When I get back from vacation I intend to finally buy the Armstrong and probably add a Select too.

Yeah, ideally there are a lot I'd like to get (assuming unlimited time and money...yeah, right), like all the Bird's Eyes discs. But this one is actually attainable.

last year i ordered the jazz crusaders. it was back ordered for over 5 months before mosaic finally (and without my asking) refunded my money saying they did not know when it would return.

recently i got the set on ebay - mint and for less than mosaic.

i wish though that i could have bought it from mosaic as i really want to support the company.

last year i ordered the jazz crusaders. it was back ordered for over 5 months before mosaic finally (and without my asking) refunded my money saying they did not know when it would return.

i wish though that i could have bought it from mosaic as i really want to support the company.

Yikes. I placed the order last night, and this morning the Armstrong and Jones shipped. It appears that I got charged for all 3 (including Jazz Crusaders). My invoice says that "backordered items usually ship in 1-2 weeks" Looks like I'll be calling them tomorrow, once I confirm that I'm currently loaning them $104 (indefinitely?). Want to support the operation, but they need to get their act together on the backordered items.

It sounds to me like Mosaic is in substantial trouble, like the contractor we had for our hurricane damage a few years ago, they couldn't pay the manufacturer for the doors they needed to complete the job and get the final payment of 1/3 when the job was concluded.

Then they disappeared.

I hate to hear that! I badly want that one!

Also the Slide Hampton single (or is it the Kai & JJ, one of those has been on backorder forever now).

Yikes. I placed the order last night, and this morning the Armstrong and Jones shipped. It appears that I got charged for all 3 (including Jazz Crusaders). My invoice says that "backordered items usually ship in 1-2 weeks" Looks like I'll be calling them tomorrow, once I confirm that I'm currently loaning them $104 (indefinitely?). Want to support the operation, but they need to get their act together on the backordered items.

Okay. Turns out they only charged me $179 for Armstrong and Jones, not the $281 that appears on the email shipping notification. As I calculate it, I'm loaning them only $2 (of shipping differential) while we wait on the Jazz Crusaders. I did not call Mosaic.

I think there's no doubt that Mosaic's experiencing some challenging difficulties of late--they can't enjoy being in the position of having to turn down potential sales. I'm guessing that the credit crunch has hit them hard. I want to do whatever I can to support them and will be ordering another copy of the Basie/Young later this month as a present for a friend (in addition to the new Shaw :excited: ). But Bright Moments' story re: the Jazz Crusaders box certainly points to a bad state of affairs. If there are available sets from the catalogue that posters have been wanting, might be best to buy sooner rather than later--and I don't say that in a doom-and-gloom manner (though that could easily be argued as well), but rather in a manner supportive of helping to keep Mosaic afloat.