Chet baker singing, is kind of like Mobley posing in Playgirl

Speaking of Julie London, I just happened to watch the DVD of Frank Tashlin's "The Girl Can't Help It," with Tom Ewell,

Jayne Mansfield, Edmond O'Brien, and London as Ewell's lost love (she sings "Cry Me a River"). Terrific movie; it features,

of course, a lot of rock (mostly) acts of 1956 vintage, including The Platters, The Treniers, Gene Vincent, Fats Domino, Eddie Cochran, Little Richard, and Abbey Lincoln (?!)

If you think Chet's bad, you probably won't like Zoot Sims, just a heads up.

Yes, Zoot is worse than Chet. And as I mentioned in another thread, I think Chet is a better singer than Kenny Dorham too. But I'm thinking of the younger Chet; I haven't heard enough of how he sounded in later years.

I actually don't mind either Chet's or Zoot's vocal efforts, I just take it for what it is, not their main gig and just probably enjoying themselves. :cool: :cool: :cool:

This is pretty good, don't know if it's been posted before;

Chet Baker Live (Belgium 1964) : Time After Time

Edited by Cliff Englewood

If you can't stand Chet's singing, I understand. It's okay with me. If you like it, or if you're not sure, listen to this relatively obscure little gem recorded live in Italy in the 70's with Jacques Pelzer (fl),Harold Danko (p) and Isla Eckinger (b)...

Deep In A Dream, circa 1976

That guy Jacques Pelzer plays better than I expected. I heard him before---on alto---and from how he sounded figured he got on records b/c he was a connection/host for Chet. Bass player was a little weak, I thought. Plodding, not a strong sound, and sounded intimidated.

This is good, but the stuff from Tokyo in the late 80s, also with Danko, I think is much better. Not a fan of Chet's singing, but he's such a great musician he makes me like it, especially when I'm waiting for him to change 'voices' to trumpet.

Chet Baker's singing is like tasting beer for the first time. "You gotta be kidding me. How can anyone stand this?" Then, after awhile and with repeated exposure, you learn to like it. An acquired taste if ever there was one. Personally, I come down on the "it's fine with me" side of the fence. Even later period Chet, when his voice was completely shot, is listenable to me much in the same way Lady in Satin Billie is listenable to me. If you can't hear the jazz life in those voices....

Up over and out.

:tup :tup :tup :tup

Right on.

That guy Jacques Pelzer plays better than I expected. I heard him before---on alto---and from how he sounded figured he got on records b/c he was a connection/host for Chet.

pelzer had a lenghty recording career without baker as well (eg he recorded with rene thomas many times between 1952 and 1974, i like his playing on the thomas jazz in paris cd "meeting mr thomas"), but i would agree that he was a bit inconsistent... his gigi gryce tribute album "salute to the band box" with philip catherine is nice.... and, of course, since his day job was owning a pharmacy baker probably would have allowed him to enter the stage from time to time even if he hadn't had any talent (same for pelzer's daughter micheline and her husband michel graillier... but then micheline also recorded with wayne shorter, graillier with steve lacy, all three with barney wilen - a pharmacy in the Belgian countryside doesn't explain all this)

two samples from pelzer's own albums, not trying to prove he was the greatest of them all, just trying to prove that he was much more than a guy with a pharmacy

(minority, but not from the gryce tribute album; iirc this was recorded when pelzer was on an italian tour with baker but baker went to prison for over a year after just a few days so pelzer was stranded in italy, but i might misremember this, this album was recently reissued by rearward)

(the pelzer families' 1974 fusion band open sky unit... i am really no expert on this but i haven't heard a more soul based fusion band from europe..., steve houben, another family member who would work with baker later on is the second alto player, cd reissue from whatmusic) Edited by Niko

That guy Jacques Pelzer plays better than I expected. I heard him before---on alto---and from how he sounded figured he got on records b/c he was a connection/host for Chet.

pelzer had a lenghty recording career without baker as well (eg he recorded with rene thomas many times between 1952 and 1974, i like his playing on the thomas jazz in paris cd "meeting mr thomas"), but i would agree that he was a bit inconsistent... his gigi gryce tribute album "salute to the band box" with philip catherine is nice.... and, of course, since his day job was owning a pharmacy baker probably would have allowed him to enter the stage from time to time even if he hadn't had any talent (same for pelzer's daughter micheline and her husband michel graillier... but then micheline also recorded with wayne shorter, graillier with steve lacy, all three with barney wilen - a pharmacy in the Belgian countryside doesn't explain all this)

two samples from pelzer's own albums, not trying to prove he was the greatest of them all, just trying to prove that he was much more than a guy with a pharmacy

(minority, but not from the gryce tribute album; iirc this was recorded when pelzer was on an italian tour with baker but baker went to prison for over a year after just a few days so pelzer was stranded in italy, but i might misremember this, this album was recently reissued by rearward)

(the pelzer families' 1974 fusion band open sky unit... i am really no expert on this but i haven't heard a more soul based fusion band from europe..., steve houben, another family member who would work with baker later on is the second alto player, cd reissue from whatmusic)

Rene Thomas: There's a real talent. He and that tenor player from Liege. What's his name? I'm senile...........

Rene Thomas: There's a real talent. He and that tenor player from Liege. What's his name? I'm senile...........

bobby jaspar... pelzer and jaspar recorded a version of oop bob shbam together as early as february 1947... arguably Liege was the local scene that contributed most to european jazz in that generation (in addition to the guys already mentioned there were francy boland and fats sadi)

Edited by Niko

A few years ago, I heard a recording Chet made of "I'm a Fool to Want You". It was made toward the end of his life, and it was from a concert in Japan.

I really enjoyed the mood of the track, which was quite intense - vocal and then trumpet solo. An atmospheric vocal by a jazz musician is hard to beat, and, for me, much more interesting than the work of professional singer (especially "classical", or opera).