New Henry Threadgill forthcoming

Lazaro Vega

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I mentioned this elsewhere, but the November issue of The Wire has an interesting piece about Threadgill... looking forward a lot to the Mosaic box (as well as to a package with some of his Pi recordings that should arrive any day now)!

you can watch a 12 minute streaming video of ZOOID there, too:

http://thewire.co.uk/articles/3232/

Drummer Elliot Humberto Kavee is also on one of my favorite Rudresh Mahanthappa recordings, Black Water.

Some random comments:

1. really enjoying Henry's work on flute, and Jose Davila's tuba sounds great and fits perfectly on Chairmaster.
  2. Dance Album of the Year? Certainly not my first reaction... but after listening again, I can dig that. :)
  3. Allmusic.com Review says "Electric bass guitarist Stomu Takieshi and drummer Elliot Humberto Kavee are practically secondary in this mix of give-and-take improvisation"... have to disagree with that one.
  4. The overall instrumentation (flute/alto, trombone/tuba, guitar, bass, drums) is something that grabbed me immediately. Not entirely unfamiliar, but different enough to draw me in and make me dig deeper.

Dance Album of the Year? Certainly not my first reaction... but after listening again, I can dig that. :)

Yeah, the uptempo tunes are damn near Broken Beat, yet without being Broken Beat. Of course, Henry's long been in this place, but now that I've heard Broken Beat, it's like, oh, ok, this just reinforces my notions about "this type of thing" being possible.

Dance to Now! Dance to The Future! Dance to Henry Threadgill!