Are you ever suddenly bored by what used to be some of your favorite j

Bol

I am wondering whether people ever have such an experience. I used to love Anthony Braxton's early 1970s quartet recordings with Holland, Altschul, and G. Lewis or Wheeler -- especially the rhythm section of Holland & Altschul. For the last few weeks, I'm finding this music just not very exciting -- almost (not quite, but almost) as uninteresting as Dave Holland's recent recordings. Whenever I listen to their recordings now, I find them a tad forced, a tad uninteresting. This quartet used to be one of my favorite jazz groups -- along with Miles Davis's second quintet and Ornette Coleman's 1959 quartet. Do you ever have such experiences -- a sudden drop in your interest in what used to be a favorite group? Does the interest and excitement return eventually after a while? I feel like I've lost something special in losing my interest in this group -- sort of like becoming blind to certain colors. :unsure:

Edited by Bol

Familiarity and all that - I guess I can relate to the feeling re: Dave Holland's recent stuff, for me his music was more exciting live (however I did find the big band CD had that excitement factor). It will be interesting when I get hold of the Braxton Mosaic box to see how I react to that particular music now. Certainly, the 'Montreux/Berlin' 2LP set with George Lewis was an exciting listen 'back in the day'.

Edited by sidewinder

I am wondering whether people ever have such an experience. I used to love Anthony Braxton's early 1970s quartet recordings with Holland, Altschul, and G. Lewis or Wheeler -- especially the rhythm section of Holland & Altschul. For the last few weeks, I'm finding this music just not very exciting -- almost (not quite, but almost) as uninteresting as Dave Holland's recent recordings. Whenever I listen to their recordings now, I find them a tad forced, a tad uninteresting. This quartet used to be one of my favorite jazz groups -- along with Miles Davis's second quintet and Ornette Coleman's 1959 quartet. Do you ever have such experiences -- a sudden drop in your interest in what used to be a favorite group? Does the interest and excitement return eventually after a while? I feel like I've lost something special in losing my interest in this group -- sort of like becoming blind to certain colors. :unsure:

Yes and yes. Yes, there are times when some of my favorite artists suddenly start to bore me and, yes, usually the excitement usually returns after laying off of their recordings for a while.

Same here. I had an almost complete collection of all 1950's Hard Bop on Blue Note, and grew tired of it at some point and kept only the highlights. Some of the albums I sold now start sounding alright again, but the heyday of my taste for this style is gone forever.

Just take a break and then go listen again.

Even the greatest stuff palls with overexposure. For me, the greatest recordings ever are by Parker on Savoy and Dial, the Herman Four Brothers herd and the Miles Davis nonet, but as I've been listening to them for half a century, the magic isn't there anymore. :( The answer for me has been to move on to other stuff which I never listened to in the old days; e.g. the Tristano school and West Coast cool.

Same here. For me, enjoyment of music is very much mood driven. Right now (and for the last several months) I just can't listen to bop or straight-ahead jazz. It is just boring me to tears. Things are crazy at work, so I'm finding solace in re-discovering the early, HAPPY Beatles tunes.

Earlier this year, I went through a period of about a month or two when nothing sounded interesting to me, not even my favorites. It's was the first time in 35+ years when I didn't really care whether I heard jazz or not. I always take a number of discs with me on my summer vacation, and I did so this year, but I didn't feel motivated to listen to them at all. Everything sounded flat and dull. Nothing seemed to excite me. My attitude to jazz kind of mirrored my spirit, which felt rather dull and gloomy. But I persisted and dutifully listened to a CD or two a day. Thankfully, the interest has returned again and I actually felt it happening one day as I listened to Kenny Dorham Live at the Cafe Bohemia. So I thank Mr. Dorham and freinds for that. I guess the lesson is stick with it, even through the low times, and know that the spark will return.

Edited by John Tapscott

I haven't been able to listen to straight-ahead hard bop for a couple years now, doesn't do a damn thing for me anymore...maybe one of these days.

I'm happy exploring the modern wave of rock/progressive/metal acts right now.

The pendulum will swing back to jazz eventually...or it won't...either way I'm content.

At the risk of being overly analytical about all this .... :cool:

It seems as though different kinds of music have a different effect.

People often say they enjoy pop tunes for the exact reason they become disinterested in improvised music -- its familiarity. With pop music, the tunes remind them of something in the past. They hum along, know all the lyrics. The more familiar they are with the music, the more they enjoy it.

Similarly, I know fans of classical music who thoroughly enjoy the same piece of music played over and over through their entire lives. There's no diminishing of the enjoyment at all, probably for somewhat similar reasons as apply to pop, but on a much bigger scale. A classical music fan would be able to speak to this better than I.

With jazz or improvised music, part of the enjoyment comes from the improvised nature of it. The unexpected twists and turns. The process of discovery. As the listener becomes familiar with a piece of music, the very thing that makes it interesting fades upon repeated listens. The "wow" factor is diminished.

There are folks who don't even really bother with recorded jazz. It must be experienced live, they say. In the moment, and all that.

There are other aspects of improvised music that contribute to its enjoyment, of course -- something that swings hard, or a beautiful melody, or the magical interplay among the musicians. All sorts of things, I suppose.

But I think this sense of boredom with music can be particularly acute with improvised music simply due to the nature of the music. So it's to be expected.

The cure? For me, it's about variety. I can't really listen to a steady diet of hard bop, or big band, or anything, really. I just mix it up as best I can. New sounds open up new awareness. That sort of thing. I might feel differently about it all if I'd been listening intently to jazz for 40, 50 years, but luckily (I guess) I haven't.

A little long-winded, and nothing that hasn't already been said, but hopefully something here ... ah ... strikes a chord? :w

A little long-winded, and nothing that hasn't already been said, but hopefully something here ... ah ... strikes a chord? :w

E7#9. At least I think that's the chord it struck. :g

Actually, I can definitely see that being a factor for some people. I like many different styles of music, so when I get bored with one I have plenty of other options to explore. When I was heavily listening to jazz all the time it was because I had become COMPLETELY burnt on rock music and was looking for something else to spark the passion. Jazz filled that void nicely. Then eventually (10+ years) the straight-ahead jazz stuff started to sound boring...and the rock stuff I was hearing was REALLY exciting again. So I appear to have come full circle.

Of course my mood changes hourly, so the only thing I can be sure of is that I'll feel differently about it in a little while. LOL

With jazz or improvised music, part of the enjoyment comes from the improvised nature of it. The unexpected twists and turns. The process of discovery. As the listener becomes familiar with a piece of music, the very thing that makes it interesting fades upon repeated listens. The "wow" factor is diminished.

Wise words, paps! Not for nothing did Whitney Balliett call his book on jazz The Sound of Surprise.

I'm in the 'change genre' when things sound jaded group as well.

Though it's often enough for me to change within genre - after a few weeks on the hard bop a gear change to ECM or Ellington normally has the desired effect.

Having bought far too many records over the last 40 years I can always find something to freshen my ear buds.

In reality, and maybe because of the ridiculous amount of music I have listened to in the last ten years in order to do 2 very large reissue projects, I am sick of almost everything that is jazz-related. It's weird, I can rarely listen to a jazz performance for more than 30 seconds without wanting to go ahead to another. I feel as if I have heard every phrase and note that any improviser will ever play.

on the other hand, I just started playing again, so my challenge is to produce music that does not bore me (just everyone else) -

I wanted it short, loud, pithy, deep, dark, and rough.

(no call girl jokes, please)

Edited by AllenLowe

• 10 months later...

For the past year, I can't seem to get myself to play anything by Bill Evans, and I have way too many cds by him. Strange how you can really dig someone for the longest time, then suddenly, its just not happening anymore...

Edited by Matthew

For the past year, I can't seem to get myself to play anything by Bill Evans, and I have way too many cds by him. Strange how you can really dig someone for the longest time, then suddenly, its just not happening anymore...

Funny. I just listened to the Vanguard and Waltz for Debby discs last night and this morning, and they were more magical to me, the music more beautiful, than ever.

I can definitely relate to your "I have way too many CDs by _____" comment. I find that with some artists, less is more.

Edited by papsrus

Do you ever have such experiences -- a sudden drop in your interest in what used to be a favorite group? Does the interest and excitement return eventually after a while? I feel like I've lost something special in losing my interest in this group -- sort of like becoming blind to certain colors. :unsure:

I have had this sort of experience.

It's almost always reversed in time, I return to enjoyment of the material that had failed to intrigue me. I believe, in my case, it has an emotional cause. There's been some sort of shift, often that I'm not really distinctly aware of in some ways.

Guest Bill Barton

Because I listen to so much new music this rarely happens to me. When I do go back to old favorites they usually sound great. The really "deep" ones never fail to reveal new treasures.